Raytheon

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sudbury, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Raytheon in December 2007.

Interview Details – I've seen both sides of the college hire process with my department, so I'll focus my review on college hires.

Departments constantly monitor their available staffing vs. program demand, and during the first quarter of every year they determine their hiring goals, including college hires. At this point, the sections that need additional resources will submit a request to HR to review for applicable skill-sets.

Upon selection a handful of candidates (could be as little as four, could be twelve depending on the demand) IDS will contact the individual, and arrange for an on-site interview. Raytheon reimburses all expenses for the interview, including travel (at the federal mileage rate, or airfare for significant distances [20 miles, 50 miles? I can't quite remember,]) lodging, and a rental car if necessary.

Once on-site, candidates have a brief introduction (duration: 30 minutes) by HR describing the process, telling us what their goals are and who they would be meeting with. At the conclusion of the HR intro a few younger engineers meet with the candidates and act as their escort for the day.

At the conclusion of the HR introduction, candidates next meet with the potential section managers (duration: 30 minutes.) The section managers give a brief overview of what kind of work they perform, what programs they work on, and some of benefits of working at Raytheon.

After being introduced to the potential section manager, the candidate will generally undergo three one on one interviews with senior members of the section (duration: 30-40 minutes each.) The range of questions they ask will vary, but generally they're trying to determine: your interpersonal skills (will you work with our group,) your expectations (will our group work with you,) and your technical skills.

At conclusion of the personal interviews, the section manager generally takes the candidates and the escorts out to lunch (duration: 45 minutes) at a nearby restaurant to facilitate a more candid conversation amongst the group.

At the conclusion of lunch, candidates are gathered for a small out-brief (duration: 20 minutes) answering any questions the candidates might have, outlining when they will be notified, and reminding of the reimbursement procedures. This is generally the last contact the candidates have with Raytheon for the day.

Now, after the candidates have left, the section manager usually distributes a rating matrix to the three senior section members who conducted the interviews, to evaluate the candidate over a range of criteria. After receiving their ratings, the section manager will gather the senior section members to discuss the ratings and decide upon offers.

After making selections, the section manager will inform HR who their top candidates are, and HR will send out offers.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which you performance disappointed you. How did you handle it? How would you handle it in hindsight?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – In my experience, college hires have little room to negotiate. College hire salary an undisclosed formula based on position (E01/E02,) discipline, and department.

Very Easy Interview

Sudbury, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Raytheon in November 2007.

Interview Details – I graduated with a Masters from Cornell so I the entire process made me feel like that fact and my academic record got me the job. The interview was just a formality. I interviewed with 3 people and only one of them asked me a technical question. The rest were "tell me about a project" or "do you have questions for me".

Interview Question – No questions were difficult.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Electrical Engineer II

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Raytheon in June 2009.

Interview Details – Interview was painless. My interviewers were basically trying to get a feel for my background and my reason for wanting to do hardware design. I expected at least some digital hardware questions...but no technical questions whatsoever. The process was very comfortable altogether and I was a little dismayed by how easy it was to get this job.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!