Raytheon Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Raytheon (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

A week before the scheduled interview I emailed the recruiter who set it up asking why I had not received any details about the interview. The next day I sent another email asking the same thing since I did not get a response. The recruiter finally answered that there was no interview but she would recheck to see what was really happening. At the end of the day I received a phone call from an embarrassed recruiter saying that the interview was actually on and that she was sorry for the mixup.
    The day of the interview there was a presentation of the company benefits. Then I had three separate interviews. Each was a relaxed conversational interview. Each one said that my background was exactly what they were looking for. At the end, after several remarks about my age, I was told that I was overqualified.

Administrative Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woburn, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Raytheon (Woburn, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position online, and was contacted by the hiring manager 2 weeks later to schedule an interview. Three days after the hiring manager's initial call, I interviewed in person with the Program Manager and her team. I first met with her team members, who told me that they really needed someone to help their manager, who's exhausting herself by taking on additional administrative duties for the past 2 years. I understood their situation, and tailored my answers to show them that I can provide the assistance needed to support her and their team. After speaking with them for about an hour, I met with the Program Manager; my meeting with her felt more like two people having a conversation, which was refreshing. It's not everyday that an instant rapport happens between two people, yet that's what took place during our interview. I understood why she took this tactic to interview me, as the person chosen will need to work closely with her. My interview was on a Thursday, and I received an offer over the phone the following Tuesday. The process was VERY quick.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you had to learn a process quickly in your job?   Answer Question

Information Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tewksbury, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Raytheon (Tewksbury, MA).

Interview

Slow and haphazard. RTN HR (at the time) was not putting its best face forward. Web based process was less than intuitive. Getting a person to speak to you was difficult, until the time they reach out an call you. Phone screened, then sat with HR rep, then two individuals...none super impressive.

Interview Questions

• Very basic knowledge questions, ones I'd have expected to be asked to a much junior person, not one with decades of experience. Made me question the depth of knowledge of the interviewer(s).   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Raytheon in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and worked with some contacts to get an interview. When they were ready, the interview was scheduled through a recruiter. Because I was not local, I did a phone interview with a panel consisting of members of the team that lasted 30-45 minutes. After that, all the communication was through the recruiters. I don't know if their team was overloaded, but it was often slow hearing back from them. They didn't make an offer until I informed that that I had another opportunity, at which point the recruiter seemed to be scrambling to get back to me. I was excited about it, but unfortunately you don't always get what you want.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer

It kind of felt like I was constantly pulling teeth with the recruiters, and indirectly the management of the team I was applying for. I just thought, "if it's this difficult now, what's it going to be like in a year?" I decided it was probably better to let it go.

Electrical Engineer I Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Raytheon (Tucson, AZ) in April 2015.

Interview

Originally set up a phone interview. Was asked a few questions about my resume. Lasted for about 30 minutes. I received an email a few days later inviting me to Arizona for an interview. Flew out for interview and tour of factory. Then was offered a position the last evening.

Interview Questions

• Describe a scenario where you had a conflict with a team member on a project and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Raytheon in April 2015.

Interview

Submitted for job online through website. After about 10 days, I received an email saying they wanted to setup a 30 min. phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 15 minutes and I was told either they would pass on me, bring me in for further evaluation, or hire me directly. I was nervous after the interview because they asked a decent amount of technical questions. However, 2 days later they called me and said they want to hire me!

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Raytheon (Tucson, AZ) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by phone by a recruiter. He asked about my college projects, why I wanted to work at Raytheon, and some general behavioral questions. I asked him some questions and the interview lasted maybe 20 minutes.

About a week later someone from HR I think called me. She said that they were interested and again asked me why I wanted to work at Raytheon, if I had any competing offers, and asked if I was interested in interviewing. I said yes.

A day later they sent an email with information. They flew me out to Tucson AZ.

First day, we had a lunch, then toured the plant. We then had a networking event that night.

The next day we had interviews. I interviewed for two positions. Some people interviewed for up to four positions.

Later that day they sent an email saying that they were going to make me an official offer for employment in the next few weeks.

Interview Questions

• All behavioral questions about group projects in school, and previous jobs. They want to make sure that they are going to get along well with you.

The only "technical" question I was asked was to briefly describe object oriented programming.

They asked what languages I was familiar with and then I asked a bunch of questions that I had prepared.

1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Raytheon in April 2015.

Interview

Note: was not able to update my other review, so had to redo it as this one. (wanted to clarify some of my thoughts/comments).

Was contacted by a person doing recruitment, who was interested in some of the work I was doing. We had some email conversations about the research (the person was knowledgeable, so not a standard recruiter, also a researcher, which was nice), and a phone interview with their cybersecurity team lead was arranged, despite knowing that I wasn't a cybersecurity analyst. The phone interview went well, very nice person, and of course, it was accepted that I did not know the cybersecurity stuff (my research is useful to cybersecurity people but I am not a cybersecurity person per se). That person decided I wasn't a fit enough, and my contact was frustrated since he was sure my skillset was valuable to them but none of their current reqs fit my set. He set up another phone interview with a different group, and that went well since they were more flexible about what the role required. They flew me out for a series of interviews with members of the team and the government managers, and apparently I passed, but we couldn't agree on salary. They said they wanted me, so I'm counting that as an offer, but unfortunately, they couldn't pay me an equitable salary to my area.

So we parted on good terms. I would recommend this company, these groups doing cybersecurity, to anyone interested. It was a nice group of people, laid back and friendly, and not like the corporate/retail s/w world in my experience, especially since they were more concerned about finding new ways to do things and try new things, not just how to maximize profit or create little mini-empires, which can be very frustrating sometimes. :) I wouldn't have hesitated to work for them if we could have agreed on salary, and feel it would have been a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Interview Questions
      Mainly just a discussion of my research work, but they did ask some of the usual silly coding/architecture questions that one doesn't remember typically unless you just graduated with a C.S degree or are actually doing work in that area. Hence why I say silly...deep dive interviews are more effective in my opinion, but you still get a lot of general architecture, data structures, etc questions which may or may not be the best way to approach interviews these days.

One, how does some function in C that takes any arguments know the type of the passed argument. Two, explain how a browser works.
      Plus others...but don't remember those off the top of my head.

1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Raytheon.

Interview

The interview process was done in two stages.

- After I applied, I was contacted by HR and I was told that I was being considered for the position. She then informed me that I had a "video interview" though the website HireView. During the interview, I dressed as if I was going to a face-to-face interview. The questions were the standard HR questions: weakness, strengths, where you see yourself in 5 years, etc. It also asked for you to describe work experience/projects, (which may have been unique to the individual).

- The same day, I was contacted by a manager to inform me that I was invited for a face-to-face interview. This process took about two weeks for me to know the details of the interview. Day of the interview: six interviewees were brought on site for to meet with three different managers. Before the interviews, we were given a presentation of what kind of work Space and Airborne Systems (SAS) does. This was followed with a tour of the manufacturing facility. We were brought back and the interviews started. Each interview lasted thirty minutes and was very conversational. To end the day, we were provided lunch and HR talked to us about benefits, etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

yes, I negotiated.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Raytheon.

Interview

Interviewed with several managers for 30 min each, went over more general/personality fit questions than technical questions since I was a college grad and they had my transcript/GPA.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any moral obligations against working in the defense field   1 Answer