Raytheon

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer I

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in May 2014.

Interview Details – The whole process lasted about 2 weeks.
Onsite interview with 6 engineers.
They asked much lots of questions about the various courses I had taken during my undergrad. Also asked on why I wanted to specifically work for them.

Interview Question – Nothing crazy just went through my resume and transcript.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in April 2013.

Interview Details – Extremely detailed interview process. It started with a call from their recruiter, and if he determines that you are a potential match, you will receive a call from an engineer for a phone screen. The phone screen consists of various software engineering and computer science questions. Example topics: Asymptotic complexity analysis, system design (high level), basic algorithms and data sorting.

If the phone screen was successful, you will be invited to an on-site interview. Be prepared to spend anywhere between 3-8 hours for this interview. The purpose of this interview is to answer three basic questions:
1) Do they know what they claim to know (as stated on their resume)?
2) Is the candidate smart?
3) Can the candidate make use of new information to solve challenging problems?

It doesn't matter that you don't know everything. What is important is your ability to take new information and effectively apply it to problems. You will be stretched beyond your means, and the interview panel will continue to ask progressively harder questions until we either run out of time, or you run out of answers.

Interview Question – Most difficult real question had to do with threading and data safety. Expect to write code.
Most difficult question seems fairly innocuous: What does i++ do?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – They knew that I already had another offer from a different company. They asked what that offer was and beat it by 15%. I probably could have negotiated more.

Software Engineer I

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in December 2013.

Interview Details – Went through phone interview where the things on my resume were discussed and some basic questions on object oriented principles were asked. After that I was invited to an onsite interview with 3 interviewers in which a slightly more extensive version of the phone interview took place.

Interview Question – What makes languages like java or c++ able to create object oriented programs?   View Answer

Tucson, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in March 2013.

Interview Details – Was invited to an onsite interview for 3 electrical engineering jobs each with at least three people who seemed to have different experience levels. No technical questions were asked, only behavioral.

Show that you have interest by knowing what the job is about.

Interview Question – What assignment was too difficult for you, and how did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Found a better offer elsewhere.

Interviewed at Raytheon

Interview Details – I interviewed on site during a campus interview day where they interviewed several people at once. I interviewed with two different senior level software engineers and was asked only basic questions about myself, my resume, software concepts in general, and a few java specific questions. I wasn't asked to solve any programming or thought problems.

Interview Question – I was asked about the meaning of Java specific keywords, which was difficult since I have little experience in Java, but I managed to explain most of them.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Raytheon.

Interview Details – I applied for one of the positions they had listed on their website and was contacted for a phone interview after a few weeks. Their questions were mostly non-technical; the phone interview seemed to be more of a personality assessment with some questions on educational background and internship experience mixed in.

It went well, and they extended an invitation to fly me out for an on-site interview. I received a tour of their facilities and was interviewed by a few of their software leads. Questions were, again, primarily based around personality and experience, though more time was spent educating me about the company than asking questions.

After a month of not hearing back from HR, I was e-mailed the generic Raytheon notice detailing my removal from the selection process. Nonetheless, it was a good experience overall.

Interview Question – The generic "where do you picture yourself in 3-5 years" question.   Answer Question

Garland, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Raytheon in October 2010.

Interview Details – Contacted by HR who invited me to a College Day recruiting event on-site. The evening before the event, we had a lovely dinner at a hotel with the other applicants from various other states (It seems they only want the "best" talent). The recruiting event started early the next morning and consisted of 4 one on one interviews with employees from various different areas of the company. They weren't hard interviews at all. Most of them were behavioral questions and going over your resume. I had one semi-technical interview, but it was pretty much just a brain teaser to see how you think. I felt pretty confident after the interviews and they make you feel real good about working for the company, so that you will pick them over any other offers you may have. The people were nice and easy to talk to. I left feeling like I had it in the bag! Got a call the following week saying I wasn't going to be made an offer because I wasn't a "fit" for the position.

Just a heads up for anyone who is offered to join a College Day with Raytheon Garland. They are not hiring on how well you do on the interviews, since those are all behavioral and conversational anyways. They say that they just want someone who has a nice personality and will be willing to learn, but that's just to make you feel at ease during the interviews. It's pretty much an analysis of what you have on your resume and how many internships and projects you have completed outside of school. Oh, and if you already have a security clearance, you already have an advantage over most. If not, you might want to keep your options open and don't turn down any offers prior to getting an acceptance or rejection from them, because they basically make you feel like you're definitely going to get an offer at the event and down talk any other companies you say have made you an offer, but like for me, it wasn't the case! Definitely would be a great company to work for tho, if you do get an offer.

Interview Questions

• The were pretty much behavioral...
    How do you handle stress?
    Describe some projects that you have worked on.
    Why work for a big company like Raytheon, compared to a smaller one.
    Look at a code and find out what's wrong with it
      Answer Question
  • The interviewers were very nice to talk to so be sure you have questions for them as well. Most of them were very down to earth.   Answer Question

Garland, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Raytheon in October 2010.

Interview Details – During the entry level software engineer interview, each interview was allocated 30 minutes for a total of 3. One interview is technical while the other 2 are behavioral. The technical portion was not tough, Raytheon is more concerned with you ability to learn.

Interview Question – If you were sitting in a corner, what is the quickest way to get to a spider in the opposite corner on the ceiling?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Raytheon in October 2008.

Interview Details – Invited to a new college grad recruiting event with online a short phone screening. I was flown down to Dallas for a full day interview and presentations about raytheon. The day started with a few presentations about benifts and such than 2 hours of interviews. There was two interviews both started with a standard behavioral interview, questions like: tell me about a time when you were working as part of a team and had a disagreement. After the standard questions were finished they asked for questions from me. Pretty basic interview with offer decisions made the same day.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had a disagreement as part of a team?   Answer Question
  • Describe when you have had to make hard decisions about how to complete a project?   Answer Question

Software Engineer I

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Raytheon.

Interview Details – I had a short phone interview and then an in-person interview a few weeks later. The questions were related to previous experiences and technical knowledge. After I was offered the job, it did take about 4 weeks before I was able to start working, the HR hiring process was very slow.

Interview Question – I had to write code to implement a linked list. Not exactly difficult, but trying to find the best way to do it took some time.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Raytheon

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!

Raytheon Videos

Raytheon – Why Work for Us?

Raytheon: Aspiring to be the most admired defense and aerospace systems company through our world-class people and technology Raytheon is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, homeland security… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Raytheon Software Engineer I interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Raytheon employees and interview candidates.