Raytheon Software Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated May 12, 2014

2.7

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Raytheon in May 2014.

The whole process lasted about 2 weeks.
Onsite interview with 6 engineers.
They asked much lots of questions about the various courses I had taken during my undergrad. Also asked on why I wanted to specifically work for them.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing crazy just went through my resume and transcript.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Raytheon

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Raytheon in December 2013.

Went through phone interview where the things on my resume were discussed and some basic questions on object oriented principles were asked. After that I was invited to an onsite interview with 3 interviewers in which a slightly more extensive version of the phone interview took place.

Interview Questions
    • What makes languages like java or c++ able to create object oriented programs?   View Answer

Software Engineer I Interview

I interviewed on site during a campus interview day where they interviewed several people at once. I interviewed with two different senior level software engineers and was asked only basic questions about myself, my resume, software concepts in general, and a few java specific questions. I wasn't asked to solve any programming or thought problems.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about the meaning of Java specific keywords, which was difficult since I have little experience in Java, but I managed to explain most of them.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Raytheon.

I applied for one of the positions they had listed on their website and was contacted for a phone interview after a few weeks. Their questions were mostly non-technical; the phone interview seemed to be more of a personality assessment with some questions on educational background and internship experience mixed in.

It went well, and they extended an invitation to fly me out for an on-site interview. I received a tour of their facilities and was interviewed by a few of their software leads. Questions were, again, primarily based around personality and experience, though more time was spent educating me about the company than asking questions.

After a month of not hearing back from HR, I was e-mailed the generic Raytheon notice detailing my removal from the selection process. Nonetheless, it was a good experience overall.

Interview Questions
    • The generic "where do you picture yourself in 3-5 years" question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Raytheon in March 2013.

Was invited to an onsite interview for 3 electrical engineering jobs each with at least three people who seemed to have different experience levels. No technical questions were asked, only behavioral.

Show that you have interest by knowing what the job is about.

Interview Questions
    • What assignment was too difficult for you, and how did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Found a better offer elsewhere.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garland, TX

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Raytheon in October 2010.

Contacted by HR who invited me to a College Day recruiting event on-site. The evening before the event, we had a lovely dinner at a hotel with the other applicants from various other states (It seems they only want the "best" talent). The recruiting event started early the next morning and consisted of 4 one on one interviews with employees from various different areas of the company. They weren't hard interviews at all. Most of them were behavioral questions and going over your resume. I had one semi-technical interview, but it was pretty much just a brain teaser to see how you think. I felt pretty confident after the interviews and they make you feel real good about working for the company, so that you will pick them over any other offers you may have. The people were nice and easy to talk to. I left feeling like I had it in the bag! Got a call the following week saying I wasn't going to be made an offer because I wasn't a "fit" for the position.

Just a heads up for anyone who is offered to join a College Day with Raytheon Garland. They are not hiring on how well you do on the interviews, since those are all behavioral and conversational anyways. They say that they just want someone who has a nice personality and will be willing to learn, but that's just to make you feel at ease during the interviews. It's pretty much an analysis of what you have on your resume and how many internships and projects you have completed outside of school. Oh, and if you already have a security clearance, you already have an advantage over most. If not, you might want to keep your options open and don't turn down any offers prior to getting an acceptance or rejection from them, because they basically make you feel like you're definitely going to get an offer at the event and down talk any other companies you say have made you an offer, but like for me, it wasn't the case! Definitely would be a great company to work for tho, if you do get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The were pretty much behavioral...
      How do you handle stress?
      Describe some projects that you have worked on.
      Why work for a big company like Raytheon, compared to a smaller one.
      Look at a code and find out what's wrong with it
        Answer Question
    • The interviewers were very nice to talk to so be sure you have questions for them as well. Most of them were very down to earth.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garland, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Raytheon in October 2010.

During the entry level software engineer interview, each interview was allocated 30 minutes for a total of 3. One interview is technical while the other 2 are behavioral. The technical portion was not tough, Raytheon is more concerned with you ability to learn.

Interview Questions
    • If you were sitting in a corner, what is the quickest way to get to a spider in the opposite corner on the ceiling?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Raytheon in October 2008.

Invited to a new college grad recruiting event with online a short phone screening. I was flown down to Dallas for a full day interview and presentations about raytheon. The day started with a few presentations about benifts and such than 2 hours of interviews. There was two interviews both started with a standard behavioral interview, questions like: tell me about a time when you were working as part of a team and had a disagreement. After the standard questions were finished they asked for questions from me. Pretty basic interview with offer decisions made the same day.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had a disagreement as part of a team?   Answer Question
    • Describe when you have had to make hard decisions about how to complete a project?   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Raytheon.

I had a short phone interview and then an in-person interview a few weeks later. The questions were related to previous experiences and technical knowledge. After I was offered the job, it did take about 4 weeks before I was able to start working, the HR hiring process was very slow.

Interview Questions
    • I had to write code to implement a linked list. Not exactly difficult, but trying to find the best way to do it took some time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Raytheon in May 2012.

I interviewed with one of Raytheon's cybersecurity divisions as a recent college graduate.

1.) On campus interview with university recruiter. Engineer himself; not an HR person. Behavioral interview. Was told I did very well and that I could get an endorsement through him for any position I applied for (see #2), which would greatly increase my chances of getting a response.
    2.) Apply to different jobs through company-wide online portal.
    3.) Phone interview with one of the developers.
    4.) Take-home programming test. Fairly difficult.
    5.) Group phone interview. This came on short notice after I sent a follow-up email a few weeks after I completed the programming test. They seemed a bit disorganized and hadn't realized I had actually submitted the completed programs. Some may disagree with me, but I think this is somewhat forgivable since this group didn't seem to have any HR staff on hand; everybody I dealt with was regular development staff. Was told I'd be hearing more "very soon" and that the next stage in the process would probably involve another phone interview with some staff from the office I wanted to work in. I am clearly a security novice but they seemed interested in me regardless.

Haven't heard back from these guys yet, but it has only been a few weeks. I ended up accepting an offer from another company a few days after the Raytheon group call. Normally, I'd have followed up or sent a withdrawal notice by now, but I'm curious to see if I'm actually still considered a candidate, and if so, how long it actually takes to receive any sort of response. I'll inform them of my decision at that time if necessary.

An important point: Raytheon is something of an umbrella company. They've made a lot of acquisitions in recent years and several of their divisions retain a lot of operating autonomy. Consequently, the interview experience can vary wildly depending upon which group you're talking to.

Interview Questions
    • Recruiter: common behavioral questions. Describe a technical challenge you've had to deal with and how you dealt with it. Describe a conflict and how you resolved it. Et al.   Answer Question
    • Phone interview: basic questions about simple data structures and lower level elements of the C language (pointers, inline assembly, and so forth).   Answer Question
    • Group interview: more detailed questions about security concepts, especially relating to the Android and Linux platforms. Some were fairly challenging. I don't have much practical security experience and wasn't able to answer them all.   Answer Question