Raytheon Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2015

2.5

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Raytheon.

Interview

The interview process involved getting to know me and seeing if I fit in with the team. I got to meet everyone and they interviewed me individually and as well as a group. It was very relaxed and we got to see a presentation of what they did at Raytheon.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Raytheon

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Raytheon.

Interview

Was contacted by a person doing recruitment, who was interested in some of the work I was doing. We had some email conversations about the research (the person was knowledgeable, so not a standard recruiter, which was nice), and a phone interview with their cybersecurity team lead was arranged, despite knowing that I wasn't a cybersecurity analyst. The phone interview went well, very person person, and of course, it was accepted that I did not know the cybersecurity stuff (my research is useful to cybersecurity people but I am not a cybersecurity person per se). That person decided I wasn't a fit enough, and my contact was frustrated since he was sure my skillset was valuable to them but none of their current reqs fit my set. He set up another phone interview with a different group, and that went well since they were more flexible. They flew me out for a series of interviews with members of the team and the government managers, and apparently I passed, but we couldn't agree on salary. They said they wanted me, so I'm counting that as an offer, but unfortunately, they couldn't pay me an equitable salary. So we parted on good terms. I would recommend this company, these groups doing cybersecurity, to anyone interested. It was a nice group of people, laid back and friendly, and not like the corporate/retail s/w world in my experience, especially since they were more concerned about finding new ways to do things and try new things, not just how to maximize profit or create little mini-empires. :) I wouldn't have hesitated to work for them if we could have agreed on salary, and feel it would have been a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Mainly just a discussion of my research work, but they did ask some of the usual silly coding/architecture questions that one doesn't remember typically unless you just graduated with a C.S degree or are actually doing work in that area. One, how does some function in C that takes any arguments know the type of the passed argument. Two, explain how a browser works.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Raytheon (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

A week before the scheduled interview I emailed the recruiter who set it up asking why I had not received any details about the interview. The next day I sent another email asking the same thing since I did not get a response. The recruiter finally answered that there was no interview but she would recheck to see what was really happening. At the end of the day I received a phone call from an embarrassed recruiter saying that the interview was actually on and that she was sorry for the mixup. The day of the interview there was a presentation of the company benefits. Then I had three separate interviews. Each was a relaxed conversational interview. Each one said that my background was exactly what they were looking for. At the end, after several remarks about my age, I was told that I was overqualified.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Raytheon in April 2015.

Interview

Note: was not able to update my other review, so had to redo it as this one. (wanted to clarify some of my thoughts/comments). Was contacted by a person doing recruitment, who was interested in some of the work I was doing. We had some email conversations about the research (the person was knowledgeable, so not a standard recruiter, also a researcher, which was nice), and a phone interview with their cybersecurity team lead was arranged, despite knowing that I wasn't a cybersecurity analyst. The phone interview went well, very nice person, and of course, it was accepted that I did not know the cybersecurity stuff (my research is useful to cybersecurity people but I am not a cybersecurity person per se). That person decided I wasn't a fit enough, and my contact was frustrated since he was sure my skillset was valuable to them but none of their current reqs fit my set. He set up another phone interview with a different group, and that went well since they were more flexible about what the role required. They flew me out for a series of interviews with members of the team and the government managers, and apparently I passed, but we couldn't agree on salary. They said they wanted me, so I'm counting that as an offer, but unfortunately, they couldn't pay me an equitable salary to my area. So we parted on good terms. I would recommend this company, these groups doing cybersecurity, to anyone interested. It was a nice group of people, laid back and friendly, and not like the corporate/retail s/w world in my experience, especially since they were more concerned about finding new ways to do things and try new things, not just how to maximize profit or create little mini-empires, which can be very frustrating sometimes. :) I wouldn't have hesitated to work for them if we could have agreed on salary, and feel it would have been a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Interview Questions Mainly just a discussion of my research work, but they did ask some of the usual silly coding/architecture questions that one doesn't remember typically unless you just graduated with a C.S degree or are actually doing work in that area. Hence why I say silly...deep dive interviews are more effective in my opinion, but you still get a lot of general architecture, data structures, etc questions which may or may not be the best way to approach interviews these days. One, how does some function in C that takes any arguments know the type of the passed argument. Two, explain how a browser works. Plus others...but don't remember those off the top of my head.   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Raytheon (Aurora, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

Just one phone interview. Interviewer was very friendly and knowledgeable. She described what I would be working on, what my typical day would be like, and the skills I would need to be successful. She said that they would have a decision in just a few days. All of the questions were pretty easy and there wasn't really anything technical. Overall a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Mostly just questions about my experience with C++ and Java. Nothing technical   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Raytheon.

Interview

STAR Method with Hiring Manager and not HR Person. The hiring manager was quite pleasant and could relate. Made me want to work in their team. Explained about the company and the campus.

Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Raytheon (Dulles, VA) in June 2014.

Interview

I was first contacted by HR on June 5th and interviewed on June 11. I received a Letter of Intent on June 20, an offer on July 3 and was supposed to start on July 14, but a last minute glitch would have delayed that a week. A rather long process. It could have been even longer as I pushed for a response from Raytheon after I received another job offer. Also, the day before I was supposed to start work their nurse contacted me and wanted a physician report before she would clear me for work. I had broken my wrist eight months earlier and hurt my knee in the fall, so the nurse wanted to confirm I could walk and type! Raytheon's medical group had taken a week to process my medical form, so by the time I could arrange to meet with a doctor and have Raytheon process the doctor's response it might have added a week delay to my start date. When you accept an offer from Raytheon, you're given many different forms to fill out. You're also directed to more than 16 internal documents to read that describes work policies. One document listed another document that you were to bring with you on the first day, but didn't provide a link to the document. However, I found it in their online document library. I carefully read this document but could not agree to signing it. Here's the clause in their "Employee Agreement - Proprietary Information, Inventions and Other Intellectual Property" document that concerned me: "2.10 Employee hereby grants Raytheon the right to use, reproduce and to authorize others to use and reproduce his/her name, picture, likeness, voice, biographical information and the like as Raytheon may deem appropriate." There doesn't appear to be a time limit as to when they can use your name and other information. Also, they don't have to ask your permission or inform you when they use that information. I assume they're requiring this because they want to use your personal/professional information to market any ideas/patents/copyrights you develop as an employee. I'm a nobody, but I'm a somebody and I don't want my name and other information used without my consent or knowledge. The other issue/concern I had related to the medical information they require before you start. They require completion of a 4-page medical form that asks about your visual, hearing and speech abilities, physical impairments, blood pressure, chest problems, allergies, chemical intolerances, occupational injuries, immune system deficiencies, medications and vaccines. They want the dates you had illnesses such as Measles, Mumps, Small Pox, Typhoid, BCG, tuberculosis skin test, etc. The last time I supplied that much information was for an insurance application. They take the answers on this form seriously, and as I mentioned earlier, a broken wrist 8 months earlier concerned them. If I needed to use a cane or was old and had bad knees, I'm not sure I would have qualified for the job. If they're willing to hire people who are not able-bodied, they must be defining disabilities pretty narrowly. I had been looking forward to working with the people I met during my interview. But Raytheon's paperwork and policies raised red flags. I feel it has a lot to say about how Raytheon treats it's people.

Interview Questions

• They did ask me examples where I lead teams and it wasn't something that was mentioned in the job description. So it was unexpected, but a good thing.   Answer Question

Unwilling to sign a document that stated: "Employee hereby grants Raytheon the right to use, reproduce and to authorize others to use and reproduce his/her name, picture, likeness, voice, biographical information and the like as Raytheon may deem appropriate." Also, Raytheon required me to get doctor's ok that I could type and walk given that I had fell 8 months prior and broke my wrist and hurt my knee. I can type - I had produced and publicly published code during that time and had no problem walking during the interview, but I would have had to pay a doctor to confirm it and not get paid while I waited for the Raytheon nurse to review the doctors notes. It took a week for the initial review of my medical record, so I'm assuming that would be another week without pay. I liked the people I met and was looking forward to the work and working with them. But I would have been a Raytheon employee and subject to their policies and the way they treat people.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Laid back, not too difficult.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't much difficulty; mostly behavioral questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Raytheon.

Interview

Meet with Raytheon at campus career fair. They came back a few weeks later to perform a screening. It wasn't for any specific position, just to put information in their database. Interview was mostly behavioral. "Tell me about a time when you worked on a team and you all had different perspectives", "tell me when you faced a challenge that you felt was too much", those types of thnigs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garland, TX

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Raytheon (Garland, TX).

Interview

Submitted resume at college job fair. Got an interview during their visit, followed by an on-site interview. It was a pretty straightforward process. The recruiter basically told me they wanted to hire me, and asked me what I needed to hear to accept their offer. In retrospect I should have tried to negotiate a higher salary (it was already generous), but I was just happy to get the job at that point.

Interview Questions

• Not really any technical questions that I can remember.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. I was a college graduate happy to take the job, plus I was (at the time) not very confident to have negotiated anything.