Raytheon Software Engineer Interview Questions

2.4

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Raytheon in June 2014.

I was first contacted by HR on June 5th and interviewed on June 11. I received a Letter of Intent on June 20, an offer on July 3 and was supposed to start on July 14, but a last minute glitch would have delayed that a week. A rather long process.

It could have been even longer as I pushed for a response from Raytheon after I received another job offer. Also, the day before I was supposed to start work their nurse contacted me and wanted a physician report before she would clear me for work. I had broken my wrist eight months earlier and hurt my knee in the fall, so the nurse wanted to confirm I could walk and type! Raytheon's medical group had taken a week to process my medical form, so by the time I could arrange to meet with a doctor and have Raytheon process the doctor's response it might have added a week delay to my start date.

When you accept an offer from Raytheon, you're given many different forms to fill out. You're also directed to more than 16 internal documents to read that describes work policies. One document listed another document that you were to bring with you on the first day, but didn't provide a link to the document. However, I found it in their online document library. I carefully read this document but could not agree to signing it. Here's the clause in their "Employee Agreement - Proprietary Information, Inventions and Other Intellectual Property" document that concerned me:

"2.10 Employee hereby grants Raytheon the right to use, reproduce and to authorize others to use and reproduce his/her name, picture, likeness, voice, biographical information and the like as Raytheon may deem appropriate."

There doesn't appear to be a time limit as to when they can use your name and other information. Also, they don't have to ask your permission or inform you when they use that information. I assume they're requiring this because they want to use your personal/professional information to market any ideas/patents/copyrights you develop as an employee. I'm a nobody, but I'm a somebody and I don't want my name and other information used without my consent or knowledge.

The other issue/concern I had related to the medical information they require before you start. They require completion of a 4-page medical form that asks about your visual, hearing and speech abilities, physical impairments, blood pressure, chest problems, allergies, chemical intolerances, occupational injuries, immune system deficiencies, medications and vaccines. They want the dates you had illnesses such as Measles, Mumps, Small Pox, Typhoid, BCG, tuberculosis skin test, etc. The last time I supplied that much information was for an insurance application.

They take the answers on this form seriously, and as I mentioned earlier, a broken wrist 8 months earlier concerned them. If I needed to use a cane or was old and had bad knees, I'm not sure I would have qualified for the job. If they're willing to hire people who are not able-bodied, they must be defining disabilities pretty narrowly.

I had been looking forward to working with the people I met during my interview. But Raytheon's paperwork and policies raised red flags. I feel it has a lot to say about how Raytheon treats it's people.

Interview Questions
  • They did ask me examples where I lead teams and it wasn't something that was mentioned in the job description. So it was unexpected, but a good thing.   Answer Question

Unwilling to sign a document that stated: "Employee hereby grants Raytheon the right to use, reproduce and to authorize others to use and reproduce his/her name, picture, likeness, voice, biographical information and the like as Raytheon may deem appropriate." Also, Raytheon required me to get doctor's ok that I could type and walk given that I had fell 8 months prior and broke my wrist and hurt my knee. I can type - I had produced and publicly published code during that time and had no problem walking during the interview, but I would have had to pay a doctor to confirm it and not get paid while I waited for the Raytheon nurse to review the doctors notes. It took a week for the initial review of my medical record, so I'm assuming that would be another week without pay.

I liked the people I met and was looking forward to the work and working with them. But I would have been a Raytheon employee and subject to their policies and the way they treat people.

Other Interview Reviews for Raytheon

Software Engineer Interview

Laid back, not too difficult.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't much difficulty; mostly behavioral questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Raytheon.

Meet with Raytheon at campus career fair. They came back a few weeks later to perform a screening. It wasn't for any specific position, just to put information in their database.

Interview was mostly behavioral. "Tell me about a time when you worked on a team and you all had different perspectives", "tell me when you faced a challenge that you felt was too much", those types of thnigs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garland, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garland, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Raytheon.

Submitted resume at college job fair. Got an interview during their visit, followed by an on-site interview. It was a pretty straightforward process. The recruiter basically told me they wanted to hire me, and asked me what I needed to hear to accept their offer. In retrospect I should have tried to negotiate a higher salary (it was already generous), but I was just happy to get the job at that point.

Interview Questions
    • Not really any technical questions that I can remember.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. I was a college graduate happy to take the job, plus I was (at the time) not very confident to have negotiated anything.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Raytheon.

Contacted by a college recruiter and had a one-on-one interview with an Electrical Engineer who did not know exactly what I would be doing as a Software Engineer. Had some EE questions that I marginally answered. Was later flown to Dallas for a recruiting event with 20 or so other College Seniors for a long weekend. Had several mixers, tours, and interviewed with two different groups, one from IT and one from Software Engineering. Had a screening where we were fingerprinted and did the drug test.

Interview Questions
    • Hardest questions for me at the time were about how I would handle various workplace issues. Since I had little experience with those types of situations, I had not even thought about how I might handle those kinds of things.   View Answer
    Did not negotiate salary, but did negotiate hiring bonus, relocation and start date. There were no issues in getting any of those things that I asked for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Raytheon in June 2013.

I was contacted by email to set up an interview with the department manager. The day of the interview, the manager was unavailable due to "circumstances beyond his control." Instead, I was interviewed by 2 other engineers and a lower-level manager. I was told I would be contacted one way or the other in about a week. Two weeks later, hearing nothing, I called the manager I interviewed with. He directed me to an HR rep, who routed me to another HR rep, who sent me an email 2 days later saying someone else already got the job.

Interview Questions
    • From the manager: "My son is starting at CNU (where I went) this fall, can you recommend some things to do on the weekends?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tewksbury, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tewksbury, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Raytheon in March 2013.

I applied on the company website and a month later, received an invitation for an interview at the Tewksbury location. Plane tickets, hotel, and rental car were all provided for.

On the day of the interview, I arrived at 2:45 PM and met with a few other candidates in the main lobby. We were then led through the facility to a conference room, where someone spoke for thirty minutes, discussing his experience at Raytheon. Afterwards, the candidates were shown their interview schedules. My schedule had 4 interviews, each with 1 or 2 people from a different department, each 30 minutes long with a 10 minute break in between (food and refreshments were provided).

The interviewers would spend the first 5-10 minutes explaining their department and work. Afterwards, they would look through my resume and ask for more information about my projects and work experience. Hardly any technical questions were asked (I think I only got one), they mostly asked basic behavioral questions.

Despite being there for nearly 4 hours, the interviews weren't too bad. It felt like they just wanted to meet you and see which department you would fit in. In fact, during one of the breaks, the hiring manager gave a brief overview of benefits, as if they were trying to convince us to work at Raytheon. Overall a good experience and I got a response in two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say is your strongest trait?   Answer Question
    • What made you decide to go with software engineering?   Answer Question
    • If the company made you work extra hours without overtime pay, how would you react?   Answer Question
    Did not try to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Raytheon in November 2012.

Called for an onsite interview after submitting my application. The interview consisted mostly of softer technical questions, such as the difference between function overloading/overriding, and code reading. Not really hard, just be prepared for OO programming questions. The interviewers weren't notified that I had an interview until an hour prior to my interview. No tour or anything, just a 1 hour interview. Not the most friendly interview in the world.

Interview Questions
    • Explain polymorphism, inheritance, etc...   View Answer

Did not like the company culture at all. Out of every onsite interview I had, this was the least friendly. Had better offers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Raytheon in October 2012.

A head hunter came to my university interviewing all day. Who was chosen to interview was mostly due to first come first serve basis with a bit of preference toward class.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you used leadership to accomplish something that didn't work out.   Answer Question
    • What is something you are/were very proud of?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Raytheon in March 2012.

I applied for this position on their website. A few weeks later and after back and forth with a recruiter I interviewed on site with two team managers. Interview started out with some questions asking me to rate myself on software and tools such as: Rate yourself from 1 to 5 in JAVA, Microsoft Excel, etc. They went on to ask questions related to my experience and behavioral type questions. Very easy and straight to the point interview.

Though the title was a software engineer, the position itself was definitely not for software engineers. This position was going to focus on configuration management systems, which was not something that would have really fit me anyways. Got a call the next week, letting me know they hired somebody with experience in configuration management systems.

Interview Questions
    • Rate yourself from 1 to 5 in Java.   View Answer
    • Describe a time were you were required to take leadership among a group.   Answer Question