Raytheon Systems Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Raytheon (Aurora, CO) in June 2015.

Interview

Received a pre phone interview call a month after my application. Had a full phone screen with 2 senior-level engineers and hiring manager (called from Aurora, CO). Make sure to study all the responsibilities/duties written on the job posting and know your resume inside out. Most applicants will have different types of interviews, mine was more technical than behavioral. Overall, I had a great experience; I was very nervous before the phone call and they really put my mind at ease with jokes before asking me questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your coursework, and how it pertains to systems engineering.   1 Answer
  • What's your experience with Microsoft/Linux servers? Do you have any experience with Agile/Scrum/Red Hat?   Answer Question
  • Please go more into detail about your senior design project.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Raytheon

Systems Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon in April 2015.

Interview

Submitted for job online through website. After about 10 days, I received an email saying they wanted to setup a 30 min. phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 15 minutes and I was told either they would pass on me, bring me in for further evaluation, or hire me directly. I was nervous after the interview because they asked a decent amount of technical questions. However, 2 days later they called me and said they want to hire me!

Systems Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon in January 2015.

Interview

HR contacted me a little over a month after applying for the position. They wanted to setup a phone interview with the hiring manager. I was very flexible with my schedule, so I made them aware of that (bad mistake). They gave me a 2 day window when he would call me... I never received a call from him and until this day I have not heard back from them. The position is still open so is not like they cancelled it (as far as I can tell). I feel it is very unprofessional to not even call/e-mail to apologize or at least explain what was going on. Not only that, but I called the HR representative the first day I was waiting for the phone call from the hiring manager. She did not answer, so I left a voice-mail asking for a call back so I could ask a quick question. She did not return my call, so I had to call back the next day. When she answered, all she said was: “Oh yeah, I got your voice-mail yesterday… did you have a question?”. Not sure if other people had problems with them, but my overall experience with them has been extremely negative. Hopefully I am just a fluke and normally they are not this rude to their candidates. Otherwise, I hope someone (with authority) from the company reads this and does something about it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fulton, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Raytheon (Fulton, MD) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a bit awkward and I had to ask to be formally interviewed in person, they were just going to offer me the job without meeting me. I wanted to know who I would be potentially working with.

Interview Questions

• I cannot list the specific interview question that I thought was relevant here as it would not be appropriate to release the technical information to the public. This is a secret security clearance position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tewksbury, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon (Tewksbury, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

I submitted a resume and cover letter online to be contacted by e-mail five weeks later requesting a phone interview. The phone interview took place three days later with a Systems Engineer. It was about 25 minutes going over my resume and my experiences and how they connected to the position. It was very easy going and I got a chance to ask questions throughout. The engineer told me he would put me through for the on-site interview. I was contacted a couple days later and the on-site was scheduled for the following week, all expenses paid. I, along with the other interviewees, was given a tour of the facility by recent hires, it lasted long enough to ask plenty of questions and get a sense of the environment. After the tour, we were all given a presentation about the company and then sent off to our respective interviews.There were three panel interviews and a one-on-one with the entire interview process lasting about 2 hours in total. All of the interviewers were engineers and each distinct group gave a general idea of the work they did. The interviews were casual just going over my experiences and how it might fit with the work that group did. There weren't any technical questions. After the interviews were over the interviewees collected together and were notified that we would receive a response by the following week. They made me an offer the next day with a written offer sent the following week.

Interview Questions

• No Difficult questions. Talk about your senior design project. What do you think systems engineering is? What is your experience with MATLAB?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't try to negotiate and I was very satisfied with the offer I received.

Systems Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Raytheon.

Interview

*Note: I was told ahead of time they were looking to hire very quickly and it would be an expedited process. I don't know how normal this is for other positions. Applied online and got a call from a recruiter 2 days later. The Recruiter gauged my interest in the job and when I said I was interested, I was told my information would be passed on to the hiring manager. I got a call from the manager about 45 minutes later and had about a half hour interview. The next week I was contacted again by both the manager and HR to request an onsite Interview. The onsite interview took place 3 days later. I was contacted within 1 business day with an offer

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was happy with the offer and did not attempt to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon (Huntsville, AL) in May 2012.

Interview

Had two phone interviews about 2 weeks apart. There were three people, and the speaker-phone connection was a bit tough to deal with. Basically they had me outline my job history and some school information. Second interview was more of the same with some new people and some from before. The only technical questions were about some of the software experience I had with MATLAB ( B.S. mechanical engineering). After the second interview, not much happened until I probed with an email about 2 weeks later and they said things were moving slowly, but I was still a candidate. Got a call the next week stating that they "would be making me and offer" hopefully by the next week. Got the call and finally the offer in about 4 weeks after the second interview. A little slow, but it worked out well with my graduation timing. The interviewers were very friendly and seemed interested in the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a situation where you have had to handle complex and changing situations   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woburn, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon (Woburn, MA) in May 2012.

Interview

I was initially contacted by phone and invited to a large group interview event. When a scheduling conflict came up they brought me in for a 1 on 1 meeting with a recruiter. The duration of the interview was only about 45 minutes and I was given an offer the next week.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty standard and were mostly geared towards how I work in a team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Raytheon (Tucson, AZ) in April 2011.

Interview

A big group interview that wasn't overly organized. We met for a background presentation on the company then took a tour of the facilities. All this occurred was day one. The second day was individual interviews that tended to be poorly organized and rather impersonal. This was likely due to the large number of applicants, but it still seemed like an oddly organized interview method.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, VA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon (Springfield, VA) in February 2010.

Interview

The phone interview was very brief. The main thing they want to know is if you can work well in a team environment. Overall, the interview lasted about 15 minutes. From other employees I've spoken with, it seems like their salary offer is a set amount and your "skills and experience" will not change that figure much at all.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation was possible.