Raytheon

Getting the Interview

11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tucson, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in June 2012.

Interview Details – Shortly after I applied through the employee referral process I was contacted by a recruiter. I was interviewed for a position that I did not initially apply for so the phone call was basically to gauge my interest in the position, this call lasted roughly 15 minutes and I was offered a chance to come onsite for a hiring event and interview. I flew to the campus and was taken out to dinner the first night by the Engineering HR group. This gave all the candidates to ask questions about the company. The next day I was put through 3 different sets of interviews. The interviews were made up of 3-4 different people with varying backgrounds. The next day I received an offer for the position that I interviewed for.

Interview Question – The questions asked were very basic. Mostly asking about my role on various team projects and my internships. Nothing out of the ordinary, very easy technical questions about the systems engineering process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, generous offer as well as a relocation package

Fullerton, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon.

Interview Details – Out of college, I was subjected to a round robin style interview session. The first interview was with a relatively new/young engineer. I felt that this interview really helped Raytheon determine if I retained anything in school and was up with the technology. The second and third interviews were with engineering management; one technical, one non-technical. The technical portion really focused on aspects of my resume that could apply to the position I was interviewing for. The non-technical interview was focused on my life in general, work experience, and how I handle certain types of stress, people, etc.

Interview Question – Always the most difficult is "What are your weaknesses".   View Answer

Systems Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Raytheon.

Interview Details – I got an interview through an internal reference then received my offer about 3 weeks after that.

Interview Question – Questions were standard boiler plate such as "Describe a time when you had to diffuse a conflict" or "Talk about some relevant experiences".   Answer Question

Systems Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon.

Interview Details – Initial communication through a recruiter, then comes a phone interview with the project manager/hiring manager. Within a week you should find out if they want to fly you to location for a 1:1 interview. You will meet with three or four different managers on location who will ask you mostly similar questions about.. When was a time when you had to solve a problem? When was a time where you had to deal with a difficult colleague? When was a time when you went above and beyond? They will rent you a car and put you up and the recruiters are very helpful and open. You may have to bug them for an answer whether you got the job or not if it has been over a week later.

Interview Question – All the usual problem-solving type questions asked, but no technical questions, mostly personality.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Andover, MA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Raytheon in May 2008.

Interview Details – I was contacted after submitting my resume in the SHPE conference and applying to the Req# indicated by the recruiter. The manager of the team called me and talked to me about the program and the position expectations. He asked me if I had any questions. Then withing 20 mins HR contacted me and emailed me the offer.

After my internship I was offered a full time position.

Negotiation Details – Had to respond within 12 days.

Andover, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Raytheon in May 2009.

Interview Details – They found my resume in their database and invited me to a hiring event. I had three people at the table interviewing me, and they just asked me questions like what would make me a valuable asset to the company. There were no technical questions. My impression afterwards was that they were looking for people with the right kind of personality to fit in their team, rather than technical expertise.

Interview Question – What makes you a valuable candidate to work with us?   View Answer

Springfield, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Raytheon in January 2010.

Interview Details – Two person interview. Generally very respectful, the questions were fair, with a typical behavioral/traditional interview question setup. It lasted for about one hour and due to the type of work I was interviewing for I could not be told specifics about the job, which is understandable. They paid for my whole trip, which was very pleasant, and I thought it was a very generous offer for a relatively quick interview. Overall impressions are good, hopefully they will contact me soon. No offer received just yet.

Interview Question – So tell me about a time you tried something new, or something you have not done before?   Answer Question

System Engineering Interview

Woburn, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Raytheon in August 2009.

Interview Details – Filled out a series of forms from a 3rd party HR outfit by the internet days before. Had a presentation about how wonderful the company is (about an hour), then had 4 one hour interviews.

Unfortunately the interviewers did not seem terribly interested in interviewing. It almost seemed as though HR had set this up to fulfill a requirement to interview some number candidates before they could select the person that they had already picked out.

They promised a response after a week or so, but after 3 weeks of nothing, even when I ask, I get the feeling its "Don't call us, we'll call you".

Interview Questions

• Interviewer expressed a concern that since prior experience was with a small company with a lot of freedom that I might not be possible to manage. I assume that this was to mean that they thought I might not be able to be part of a team.   View Answer
  • Some technical questions about past experience in system engineering.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Systems Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Raytheon in September 2011.

Interview Details – It was hard to judge that because of the number of jobs and just plaining assisting you have to do in my current role. I felt that I was not specific enough.

Systems Engineer

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in June 2009.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume to their online job posting forum/database. I received a interview about three weeks later, I went in for the interview. Not much of a technical interview. They asked about previous experience and there was hardly any technical content involved. It was mainly a chance to demonstrate if you have the qualities to work with the people there. Usually, the person who requested the posting doesn't show up and someone else sat in. Not ideal, but should at least see the person before hiring him/her. I followed up a week later and the recruiter was kind enough to inform that I was a good fit. The rest was history.

Interview Question – Describe a situation on how you researched and found a solution to a problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I would suggest anyone out there who is looking for a job/ or changing a job to find out what the typical salary level for the position is. Then make adjustments. Unless you have an offer from another company, don't bother negotiating. Be prepared to walk away any time.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Raytheon

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!

Raytheon Videos

Raytheon – Why Work for Us?

Raytheon: Aspiring to be the most admired defense and aerospace systems company through our world-class people and technology Raytheon is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, homeland security… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Raytheon Systems Engineer interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Raytheon employees and interview candidates.