Reader's Digest Interview Questions

Updated Aug 7, 2014
Updated Aug 7, 2014

2.8

Digital Content Producer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Reader's Digest.

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn (with whom I had prior contact with to interview for other positions). After a phone screen which consisted of the recruiter just reading the job description to me (I knew this because I had a copy in front of me as well), he asked me questions about my content writing experience as well as SEO. I wasn't totally confident that he even knew what he was talking about.

He told me they wanted to move quickly with the position and I contacted him a week after, then 2 weeks later and he never even responded to let me know they had filled the position. Unbelievably unprofessional and just plain rude.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't really asked questions, I pretty much just had the job description read to me over the phone.   Answer Question

Food Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Greendale, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greendale, WI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Reader's Digest in March 2010.

Had one phone interview before one onsite interview & scheduled hands-on styling of 2 recipes. The on-site visit was rescheduled due to interviewer's conflict. Onsite interview was with 2 women from human resources, however, no one from the magazine nor food styling department was in attendance. The person I would be reporting to was not present in the interview.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was quite conversational; understanding most of my qualifications for the job would be evaluated through my portfolio & hands-on styling. the interviewers' questions were more personality-and character-driven, to gauge overall fit with the character of the company. One of the interviewer's attended the same university as I so that was a focal point of conversation.   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Reader's Digest in March 2011.

Be prepared to tell them all about yourself because they don't really have any structure to what they do in hiring. Usually boils down to if the hiring manager likes you. But HR does all the screening and pre-interviews.

They made a good offer.

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Reader's Digest.

Quick response to resume submission. Met with entire team during interview process which was fantastic since I got a chance to understand how the role would fit within the company. Interviews emphasized the process oriented nature of the company as well as the company's commitment to improving its digital position.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Reader's Digest in March 2011.

The interview process was fairly straight forward. I was contacted for an interview within 2 weeks of submitting my application. The phone interview was fairly informal and mostly consisted of questions about my background and why I wanted to work for Reader's Digest. My interviewer did ask me to go through the most recent issue of Reader's Digest but she didn't ask many questions about it. I heard back within the week about whether or not I got an offer.

Merchandising Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Reader's Digest in December 2010.

I applied for my current position after seeing a post on Westover Media. I emailed the HR contact (who I'd recently met w/ for another position at the company that was not a good fit for me) who put me in touch with the Exec Director of Creative Services. We met in person, she asked me to complete a writing project (standard for merchandising positions), then set me up with the Assoc Publisher and Publisher. I met w/ each of them and was offered the position 4 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current job?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle difficult personalities? What's one thing you hate about your current position?   Answer Question

Associate Art Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  White Plains, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Reader's Digest in July 2011.

The recruiter from Reader's Digest was very clear and to the point. He asked me what was my experience, and the explained to me what was the position he was looking to feel.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Greendale, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greendale, WI

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Reader's Digest in March 2010.

Pre-screeing phone interview.
    Received message to call someone else because she's too busy to make appointment for interview.
    Interviewed with 2 HR people, hiring manager and one other manager.
    Everyone was very nice. Questions were very basic/traditional.
    Given "homework" to provide response as to how I would approach a fictitious project. Was given a week to respond.
    Never received a call back. Follow-up calls were not returned. Call received 2 months later to say I did not get the position. Wow.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all good, solid, informational questions. Nothing unusual to report here.   Answer Question

Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pleasantville, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasantville, NY

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Reader's Digest in April 2008.

Took forever! Had to come back for 4 rounds.

No negotiation

Business Development Program Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Reader's Digest in March 2011.

There are 2 1:1 interviews for the first round. They are mostly behavior based questions. Like leadership questions, team work questions. 30 min each interview. If you are chosen for the second round, you would go on for the second round with the managers.

Interview Questions

Worked for Reader's Digest? Contribute to the Community!