Reader's Digest

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Reader's Digest.

Interview Details – Quick response to resume submission. Met with entire team during interview process which was fantastic since I got a chance to understand how the role would fit within the company. Interviews emphasized the process oriented nature of the company as well as the company's commitment to improving its digital position.

Interview Question – None. Be honest and upfront with them.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
New York, NY

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Reader's Digest in March 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was fairly straight forward. I was contacted for an interview within 2 weeks of submitting my application. The phone interview was fairly informal and mostly consisted of questions about my background and why I wanted to work for Reader's Digest. My interviewer did ask me to go through the most recent issue of Reader's Digest but she didn't ask many questions about it. I heard back within the week about whether or not I got an offer.

Interview Questions

Merchandising Director Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Reader's Digest in December 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for my current position after seeing a post on Westover Media. I emailed the HR contact (who I'd recently met w/ for another position at the company that was not a good fit for me) who put me in touch with the Exec Director of Creative Services. We met in person, she asked me to complete a writing project (standard for merchandising positions), then set me up with the Assoc Publisher and Publisher. I met w/ each of them and was offered the position 4 days later.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current job?   Answer Question
  • How do you handle difficult personalities? What's one thing you hate about your current position?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate Art Director Interview

Associate Art Director
White Plains, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Reader's Digest in July 2011.

Interview Details – The recruiter from Reader's Digest was very clear and to the point. He asked me what was my experience, and the explained to me what was the position he was looking to feel.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Greendale, WI

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Reader's Digest in March 2010.

Interview Details – Pre-screeing phone interview.
Received message to call someone else because she's too busy to make appointment for interview.
Interviewed with 2 HR people, hiring manager and one other manager.
Everyone was very nice. Questions were very basic/traditional.
Given "homework" to provide response as to how I would approach a fictitious project. Was given a week to respond.
Never received a call back. Follow-up calls were not returned. Call received 2 months later to say I did not get the position. Wow.

Interview Question – Questions were all good, solid, informational questions. Nothing unusual to report here.   Answer Question

Technology Interview

Pleasantville, NY

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Reader's Digest in April 2008.

Interview Details – Took forever! Had to come back for 4 rounds.

Interview Question – Questions weren't difficult   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Business Development Program Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Reader's Digest in March 2011.

Interview Details – There are 2 1:1 interviews for the first round. They are mostly behavior based questions. Like leadership questions, team work questions. 30 min each interview. If you are chosen for the second round, you would go on for the second round with the managers.

Interview Question – How did you resolve conflicts with team member   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Reader's Digest in June 2010.

Interview Details – First did a HR screening and was then brought in for a 1:1 interview with HR and hiring manager. I then did a final phone interview with department VP. The overall interview process was average and typically behavioral and past experience questions were asked. They did want to know everything I already knew about direct marketing; what classes I took and previous experience, ect.

Interview Question – What do you think direct marketing is?   View Answer

Sales Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Reader's Digest in May 2010.

Interview Details – Interesting dynamic within the organization. Seems to have conflicting internal agenda where the hiring manager being override by other dynamics.

Interview Question – what your view of Reader Digest?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Marketing

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Reader's Digest in July 2010.

Interview Details – I initially met with HR, who gave me a run-down of who I was meeting with and how the divisions worked together in the company. I then met with the hiring manager who asked me a couple of questions about my resume and my personality. I then met with her peer and discussed similar topics. The questions were all behavioral; a little interview prep and you should be fine.

Interview Question – What kinds of people do you have a hard time working with?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Reader's Digest? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Reader's Digest interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Reader's Digest employees and interview candidates.