Reader's Digest Interview Questions

Updated Apr 23, 2015

2.7

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Reader's Digest (Stamford, CT).

Interview

I got an email from a recruiter who found me on linked in and then a short screen phone interview, and then a one on one phone interview. The interviewer was polite.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Reader's Digest.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn (with whom I had prior contact with to interview for other positions). After a phone screen which consisted of the recruiter just reading the job description to me (I knew this because I had a copy in front of me as well), he asked me questions about my content writing experience as well as SEO. I wasn't totally confident that he even knew what he was talking about.

He told me they wanted to move quickly with the position and I contacted him a week after, then 2 weeks later and he never even responded to let me know they had filled the position. Unbelievably unprofessional and just plain rude.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't really asked questions, I pretty much just had the job description read to me over the phone.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Reader's Digest.

Interview

Quick response to resume submission. Met with entire team during interview process which was fantastic since I got a chance to understand how the role would fit within the company. Interviews emphasized the process oriented nature of the company as well as the company's commitment to improving its digital position.

Associate Art Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Reader's Digest (White Plains, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

The recruiter from Reader's Digest was very clear and to the point. He asked me what was my experience, and the explained to me what was the position he was looking to feel.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Reader's Digest (New York, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

The interview process was fairly straight forward. I was contacted for an interview within 2 weeks of submitting my application. The phone interview was fairly informal and mostly consisted of questions about my background and why I wanted to work for Reader's Digest. My interviewer did ask me to go through the most recent issue of Reader's Digest but she didn't ask many questions about it. I heard back within the week about whether or not I got an offer.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Reader's Digest (New York, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

Be prepared to tell them all about yourself because they don't really have any structure to what they do in hiring. Usually boils down to if the hiring manager likes you. But HR does all the screening and pre-interviews.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They made a good offer.

Merchandising Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Reader's Digest (New York, NY) in December 2010.

Interview

I applied for my current position after seeing a post on Westover Media. I emailed the HR contact (who I'd recently met w/ for another position at the company that was not a good fit for me) who put me in touch with the Exec Director of Creative Services. We met in person, she asked me to complete a writing project (standard for merchandising positions), then set me up with the Assoc Publisher and Publisher. I met w/ each of them and was offered the position 4 days later.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current job?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle difficult personalities? What's one thing you hate about your current position?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greendale, WI

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Reader's Digest (Greendale, WI) in March 2010.

Interview

Pre-screeing phone interview.
    Received message to call someone else because she's too busy to make appointment for interview.
    Interviewed with 2 HR people, hiring manager and one other manager.
    Everyone was very nice. Questions were very basic/traditional.
    Given "homework" to provide response as to how I would approach a fictitious project. Was given a week to respond.
    Never received a call back. Follow-up calls were not returned. Call received 2 months later to say I did not get the position. Wow.

Interview Questions

• Questions were all good, solid, informational questions. Nothing unusual to report here.   Answer Question

Food Stylist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greendale, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Reader's Digest (Greendale, WI) in March 2010.

Interview

Had one phone interview before one onsite interview & scheduled hands-on styling of 2 recipes. The on-site visit was rescheduled due to interviewer's conflict. Onsite interview was with 2 women from human resources, however, no one from the magazine nor food styling department was in attendance. The person I would be reporting to was not present in the interview.

Interview Questions

• The interview was quite conversational; understanding most of my qualifications for the job would be evaluated through my portfolio & hands-on styling. the interviewers' questions were more personality-and character-driven, to gauge overall fit with the character of the company. One of the interviewer's attended the same university as I so that was a focal point of conversation.   Answer Question

Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasantville, NY

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Reader's Digest (Pleasantville, NY) in April 2008.

Interview

Took forever! Had to come back for 4 rounds.

Interview Questions

• Questions weren't difficult   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation