Reading Room Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.6

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Reading Room.

Interview

After weeks of emails back and forth asking questions about salary, I was finally invited for a formal interview. When I first walked in, the office director shouted at an employee about attending to me. This interview was split into 3 parts - a logic test, a code test and an informal chat.
    The logic test involved answering 50 multiple choice questions by solving a sequence of shapes and patterns. I was given 20 minutes to complete all 50 and almost did.

I was then given 30 minutes to complete a code test which was far too short to get even close to finishing. The code test involved redesigning a front-end functional form while focusing on clean and maintainable code. Given my years of experience and strong portfolio, I found this test pretty insulting.

Interview Questions

• The interview was quite straightforward however the code test was unenjoyable.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Reading Room (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Interview with logic test and remote DISC assessment. (They place a lot of emphasis on the DISC and it will hang over you throughout your whole career and will entirely determine which projects you are offered).

Then a presentation using the infamous Wine Broker brief.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They took my requested/expected number and deducted 5K. Expecting me to feel I was lucky to be asked - which at the time I think I was.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Reading Room (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

You apply for a job and they will interview you (regardless). They will invite you to do a diagrammatic reasoning test (47 questions in 20 mins) and then talk to you to see if they think you are a good fit for them. However, during the interview, you are sat in a "goldfish bowl" room where everyone (and I mean everyone) comes down to play ping pong and "hang out" just so they can check you out (although there were classic quotes: "That's the senior manager, he wants people to think that it's ok to have fun" and "These are creative people, they need to have an outlet" and "we work hard and play hard"). They design a handful of websites, they are not the innovative Google but they like to think they are.

Walking to the interview, through their offices, I did not see a vast array of people from all walks of life. There were no "old" people - they are a young company who hire graduates (and probably don't pay them what they should because they get the "awesome experience"). There were either no Asian/Black people there on the day or they don't hire them or they were simply respectful enough to not stare at the person being interviewed in the goldfish bowl under the pretence of "playing ping pong".

To be honest, knew I didn't really want the job after the goldfish bowl experience - I found it a bit childish and judgemental. And who gives a project manager a diagrammatic reasoning test that is meant for specialist jobs such as electricians, engineers, technicians and developers? But they did use that stick to beat me with it - whilst I got most of the questions I did complete, correct, I was not fast enough for them. Hello, I am applying to be a PM, not developer, electrician or engineer.

If you want to be in a company where everyone is young, always ready to party or play ping pong, white, mostly male (with a few white females scattered in) and with a little bit of experience, then this is the place for you. I prefer a multicultural environment where people actually work. I am a creative too and I play hard and work hard too and manage to have a work / life balance. Interesting experience in the naivete of this company - fortunately, I am past all that.

Interview Questions

• Most questions based on your experience but really they talk about how they do things and what their culture is like. They want to see how you respond to that - the questions were relatively easy.   1 Answer

Digital Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Reading Room.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted promptly and an initial interview was setup. This was based on a 20min "logic" test followed by a brief but pleasant interview with the HR Director.

After concluding the interview, I was advised of the next steps. 15mins later, I'd already received an email advising me that they'd like to see me for a 2nd time and to prepare a presentation on a Wine Merchant pitch and how the project would be managed. I was also advised that I'd just be presenting to their new MD. Before that, I was asked to complete an online personality test (Disc) so they could see my personality trait.

On arriving at their new offices, they'd moved a few days earlier, they had no AV equipment setup and it was only by luck that I had brought my work laptop with me so managed to present using that.

On meeting the MD, I was instantly uncomfortable. The guy appeared bored and disinterested, almost like this was an inconvenience on his day. After my presentation, which went reasonably well, he gave me some feedback and asked if I had any questions. So I asked the usual style of thing "what do you think is the biggest challenge or threat that Reading Room faces over the next few years" to show interest in company direction etc. He replied saying he'd never been asked such a question before and didn't know and then, after thinking about it, replied with "having to manage the interview process".

Obviously that signalled the end of my interview and was advised I'd hear within a few days. Needless to say I didn't get the role but that I'd get feedback within a few days. Never heard from them again.

To be honest, if I had been offered the role, I dont know if I'd have wanted to work for a company lead by people like that. For the MD of a "creative agency" to behave like that, well it doesn't give me much enthusiasm for their culture or working environment.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to pull together a presentation based on a pitch to develop a wine merchant's website. The brief was extremely vague and should have lasted no longer than 15mins. Was almost impossible to work out which "angle" the brief wanted you to pick, should I be pitching for the project management business and therefore make it more sales orientated or should I pitch it as a project management exercise and make it more structured with timings etc. I found a middle ground and the presentation went reasonably well but no feedback was received   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Interview

The first steps with Reading Room were alright: an email with different questions and then a phone interview. The process was clear and the interview went well.

However, they gave me a deadline for their answer. A deadline that they didn't respect. I had to contact them again for getting the negative answer. Just a tip for the company: just don't do that. Even if you're not interested in that person, that attitude is not professional. And it brings you a bad review on Glassdoor.

There were no other explanations in their refusal. It's typical from companies nowadays anyway. I don't really know what profile they were looking for actually. The job specifications are very vague.

After that, I saw that the company asked its staff to write positive reviews on Glassdoor (take a look at the reviews). I then told myself it wasn't a big waste.

Digital Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Reading Room (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The interview process wasn't that difficult during the first stage, I was greeted by one of the creative heads and we discussed about Reading Rooms ambitions and strategy for the future, my previous experiences and why I was looking to join. The strange thing about this interview was I wasn't asked to show any work which for a creative agency/digital agency is quite baffling and felt a little handicap because of it especially considering the fact that most of my best work I cant show on a public website due to non-disclosure agreements.

Anyway I was told they rather give candidates a task during the second stage, and I left it at that I was certain the interview went well based on are discussion and left that I would at least be given a chance for the second stage.

So I was asked to do a logic test remotely since, they didn't really organise the test during the interview?

I don't really feel these tests should have any real place when it comes to employing creative people and I feel they are losing out on potentially great candidates because of it.

Senior Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Reading Room (London, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

Long and quite disconnected:
    Personality test, out of date and bizarre problem solving test, interview with recruiter, interview with Director, interview with 2 members of the creative team and a test brief.

I was determined to get the job but I'm not too disappointed I didn't get it because a number of warning signs went off for me during the process. It's hard to pin it down but sometimes you just get bad vibes.

I'm willing to accept there was a better candidate - I am not long a Senior Designer so perhaps they wanted someone with more experience - but after giving up a lot of time, including most of a weekend to complete the brief I was upset they didn't give me any feedback at all despite my asking 3 times.

They stated several times they were taking the time to find the right designer, and even though all of my interviews ran over and I had some fantastic chats with the staff - all of whom I got on with - I got the impression from the interview that they weren't really taking that much care.

Interview Questions

• 'Sorry I don't really know who you are, can you explain'   1 Answer

Internal Recruitment Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Reading Room (London, England (UK)).

Interview

What a terrible process.

I was also asked to do a 'logical paper', which was an old SHL dynamic reasoning paper that they seem to shove in front of all their interviewees. The whole process was really long and drawn out and it was a shame really because I decided on the first instance to email them well before they advertised a role. Why? Because I thought they would be a good company to work for.

They didn't remember my initial email and when I saw they had a suitable role applied in due course. I did a telephone itnerview and hear nothing for over a week. I then attended an interview with the same person and we covered exactly the same ground. Then I met a director who didn't know much about the role to be honest. He told me I would go forward to the next round.

Met two other directors then, I was supposed to meet the first guy but he was 'called to a meeting', so I did my presentation in their 'band room', yes with a stage and all, walking around the drum kit to point to the 'screen'. Were the red flags starting to appear Well yes!

The two interviewers were waiting for the director who got called away to come and lead the interview and suggested that we move forward with the presentation, it went well, good rapport and then it took 3 weeks for them to send me an email with feedback. It was a panicked 'are you still interested' email.

I had other irons in the fire at that stage and to be honest had fallen out of love with this company.

Java Web Developer Interview

Interview

Very insensitive interview process. Applied for a position that was advertised for the melbourne office. Head of recruitment in APAC personally contacts me and asks me to answer a long questionnaire about my experiences, why I'd like to work for reading room, current position, etc. Spend a lot of time and effort filling up this form and send it off to them. She then contacts me to say that the position is not available for Melbourne but for other cities in Australia.

Ridiculous waste of time. The ethical thing to do would be to just update the position description on the website or check if the role is still vacant in Melbourne before contacting me.

Interview Questions

• > Many thanks for applying at Reading Room. We'll be reviewing your application in more detail in the next day or so and in the meantime, would love to know a bit more about you.
      > Can you tell us something about your medium-term career goals? We'd be especially interested to hear how you think Reading Room can help you achieve these goals. It would also be good to know a few things about your current situation (residency status, availability, previous salary and salary expectations).

Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Reading Room (Singapore (Singapore)) in July 2014.

Interview

The overall recruitment process was fast, efficient and was done with personal touch. This is something I believe that is uniquely Reading Room.

I remember that during my initial interview with Jessica - HR Manager Singapore, she clearly explained to me the interview process. She even took the extra mile in discussing with me how the logic exam works and ensured that I was at ease before letting me take the exam.

In this day and age, it is rare for an organisation to make you feel that you are already part of the team even if you are just still applying.

Interview Questions

• I had four rounds of interview with Reading Room before I got an offer. Throughout the process, the interviewers made sure that questions are related to your job history and aspirations. There were no surprise questions to throw you off balance during the interview unlike other organizations.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They gave me what was discussed during the interview. The whole process was pretty transparent.