The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Real Magnet in September 2011.
Interview Details – Sr. DBA stumbled by Jr. interviewer
1. Some general questions during phone interview went well
2. Personal interview was okay. I respect that CIO is always busy and didn't want to waste too much time, which is good. However, the tech asked very general questions and expect you to have a specific answer. When asking more details for the scenario, he just couldn't provide. Every "real" DBA knows "it depends". For example, how do you go about to improve INSERT performance? Answer: "MERGE?" Of course..., it's incorrect.
3. For interviewer, please do some researches on MSSQLTips.com, SQLAuthority, and so on.
4. For interviewee, please just give a Jr. DBA answer. Like index seek improves performance, join hints, MERGE, Raid 10, separate data and log files, lock escalations,...
Interview Question – how do you go about to improve INSERT performance? View Answer
I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Real Magnet in September 2011.
Interview Details – Sr. DBA stumbled by Jr. interviewer:
1. Phone interviewed some general questions and went well.
2. Personal interview was okay. I respect that CIO is always busy and didn't want to waste too much time, which is good. However the tech person asked some very general questions and expect you to give a very specific answer. A real Sr. DBA knows that a lot of times "it depends". When I ask more specific conditions and the interviewer just couldn't provide. One example: How do you improve INSERT performance? Answer: MERGE. I think real DBAs know the answer is wrong.
3. I've interviewed many people as well. For the interviewer, please do some researches on the questions. MSSQLTips, SQLAuthority and,....
4. Advices for interviewee: give an easy Jr. DBA answer: RAID 10, MERGE, DISK IO, Partition, Index seek, JOIN hints.
Interview Question – Improve INSERT View Answer
Your feedback has been sent to the team and we'll look into it.
The difficulty rating is the average interview difficulty rating across all interview candidates.
The interview experience is the percentage of all interview candidates that said their interview experience was positive, neutral, or negative.
Your response will be removed from the review – this cannot be undone.
Simply post an anonymous review for a recent interview experience or current/former employer. Your post is anonymous – and if you're worried someone will be able to identify your review, you can even post without telling us your job title and location. Learn More.
No thanks –