RealAge

Relevance Date Difficulty

Database Marketing Analyst Interview

Database Marketing Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at RealAge in June 2011.

Interview Details – Very friendly, just ask some general question, when you will be available and whether you are eligible to work in the united states, and also then they introduce this position, their relationsip with hearst corporation, their database. also they also whether you could use sql, the project you did

Interview Question – describe your project   Answer Question

Marketing Copywriter Interview

Marketing Copywriter
San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at RealAge in August 2011.

Interview Details – Pre-Interview: I was recruited by the HR department on LinkedIn.com for a full time marketing copywriter position, which I applied for even though I work mainly as a consultant. I received a phone call by the same person which consisted of a 20 minute phone interview, and then offered an in-person interview. The recruiter indicated to me that there would be a skills test I had to consent to before coming in, but that it would not be required until the final hiring stage. I agreed, as these tests are quite common within the media and publishing world.

Day of Interview: I arrived 10 mins early for the personal interview and sat in an empty lobby for nearly 15 mins before someone came to assist. Several people walked by, checking me out like a spectacle. I felt like I was on an episode of the Office. Once someone noticed my presence I was given a lengthy application to fill out and background check documents to sign. Before it was complete, the first interviewer (recruiter) came out in a rush and claimed to be short on time. I let her know I arrived with plenty of time to spare but remained in the lobby for awhile before I was assisted, after she asked me if I got lost finding the place. It was a mad dash interview, with a regurgitation of all the same questions during the initial phone interview. Phones were ringing and the interviewer kept staring at the clock and her computer screen, between asking repetitive questions that were already answered in my initial phone interview. It seemed very rehearsed and impersonal, although she seemed very interested in my skills and indicated that I was a great candidate. At the end I was taken in to the marketing director for a more in-depth interview on the nature of the position. Time was more of an issue here, and it seemed like I was squeezed in to a timeslot where there wasn’t enough room. He claimed there wasn’t much time due to a conference call. I was rushed through the interview with extremely fast talk that seemed like a result of a serious caffeine intake. I noticed peculiar body language based on my investigative journalism techniques when I asked a few of my own questions, with regard to the job not being posted on the website and the possibility of any assignment being used for real marketing purposes outside the scope of finding a qualified candidate. It was also odd that I was asked if I found the place okay, with the insinuation that I was the reason for the rush.

Post-Interview: As I was rushed out I was told I would receive the Assignment-Skills test by the end of the day. As someone who has taken many skills tests or completed an assignment for a potential job, this was a bit more intense and required a great deal of effort. Two days worth of work and 6 assignments total. If it weren’t for the interviewers leading me to believe I was a solid candidate and that it seemed like a good fit, I would never have completed this much work for a potential job that may not even exist. As it turned out, I received a phone call 5 days later that I did a great job on the assignment and was thanked for my effort, but the marketing director decided I was not a good fit for the position. No further explanation. This was really a low blow, and I quickly realized I had been taken advantage of.

Overall, the entire process seemed rehearsed, and I should have listened to my skeptical mind, as I am aware of some businesses who use good talent for new marketing ideas and better industry knowledge. They often prey after the consultants and those who would otherwise charge a nominal fee for such “assignments”. It serves them better to rush people through and mislead them into a position that may not even exist. It also works as a great way to add fresh ideas without making a dent in payroll. RealAge is owned by the Hearst Company after all! I should have known better! After researching scams and doing some outreach to popular forums I realized that there are many evil pharmaceutical companies at work behind the scenes as well. I’ve had an account on the RealAge site for some time and as of today it will be deleted for good! My best recommendation for this company is do your research and avoid them if you have real ethics. They are interested in advertising dollars not your health or wellness.

Interview Question – What do you know about web analytics?   View Answer

Worked for RealAge? Contribute to the Community!