Recondo Technology

2 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Recondo Technology in March 2013.

Interview Details – I received an email on a Sunday night from their HR that they wanted to setup a phone interview. We setup the call for later that week and was called by their HR. At that point the lady I talked to was more interested in discussing on of my past companies because that was where she worked. So after talking about my other company she said that they would like to go to the technical portion of the interview later in the week. The next day I got a invite for a Friday call. The person called and started off with a question do I have the right time? And then stated that he had accidentally called someone recently two hours to early. He talked a bit about the company, same statement that HR had gave me. He asked me some softball questions but I could tell he was very distracted and he had not even prepared he was trying to go through my resume as we spoke. After the questions he said that one of their hr people would contact me. I told him I had already talked to HR and he did not even know he was part two of the process. A few days later I got an email saying they were going to go with other candidates. I emailed and asked where I can improve so that I could be a better candidate and all I got back was something about my skill sets. My skill sets far overreached the minimum qualifications for their job posting. Overall it was a very disorganized process but then again they are a startup company so they are still getting processes established.

Interview Question – What do you do on a daily basis?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Recondo Technology in September 2010.

Interview Details – I found the job through Craigslist and got called in for an interview roughly one hour after submitting. The company hadn't used Craigslist before, so HR was monitoring responses from there and saw mine quickly.
The first interview was to set some expectations. I've got 5 years experience plus an M.S. and according to them, that puts me right in between a Software Engineer spot and a Senior Software Engineer spot, so they said I would interview for the lower and get a chance to work at the senior spot to get a promotion within six months. I said that was fine, and we scheduled a technical interview the next day.

At the technical interview, I had to take an hour long coding test that exercised an API some of the other teams at Recondo use - Apache Camel. I hadn't heard of it before, but the parts of the API that the test used were relatively simple - I passed the senior test with flying colors. There were several ambiguities in the questions, though, which I had to hash out with one of the interviewers after I said I was done. After the coding test, I had a couple of technical interviews where people asked relatively detailed questions about my resume - what I had done, how I did it, what I liked and didn't like. I didn't oversell myself, and thus it never got uncomfortable. The most uncomfortable thing was someone asking about my Spring experience. I rated myself a 5 on a scale of 1-10, saying I could configure and use some of the more basic elements of Spring but to do anything more I'd need to refer to the docs or someone else. The guy started asking questions about dynamically creating multiple Spring contexts within the same application, which was well outside my experience. I think he was just showing off, but it was hard to be diplomatic about that after clearly stating where the boundaries of my experience were.

I had a couple more interviews with management the next day, which were slightly technical (some ?'s about multi-threading and my masters thesis), but nothing too hard. Again, I think they're just trying very hard to weed out liars which is a primary concern with any interview process. I think the interview process was the highlight of my tenure at Recondo. Everyone I met before starting was very bright, and the process was very fair.

That said, I gave notice yesterday. They lowballed me (see my negotiation phase notes), and put me on a team of relatively uninteresting and unskilled people, none of whom I met during the interview phase and none of whom I really have anything in common with. I'm the only one in a team of 6 who is married or has kids, and even the tech lead who's 40 acts like a big teenager (think Topper from Dilbert). It has been a big fuss to take off mornings when my wife has OB/GYN appointments because nobody understands why I would want to be there - they've never been in this situation. In a professional sense, all the really interesting work they do happens elsewhere - all I've been doing for two months is writing scripts to scrape websites. I've been told that there's lots of other work to do, but every time I've mentioned it, our backlog of scraping gets brought up. This would be a great job for someone just out of college or who doesn't have much programming experience, but I found it very boring and a big letdown after what I thought was a great interview process. I can understand why I wasn't introduced to anyone from this group during the interview process, but it feels like a big bait and switch on the other side.

Interview Questions

• How would you make a method thread-safe in Java?   View Answer
  • How can you ensure that something you pull out of a collection is the right type?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Wasn't in a position to negotiate because I had to get a job ASAP. My wife and I found out we were pregnant just after another position fell through so I needed to take what I could get. Knowing this, they lowballed me, offering $65k, so I went out and got another job paying more and put in notice after only two months working there.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Recondo Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Recondo Technology interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Recondo Technology employees and interview candidates.