Red Bull North America

Very Difficult Interview

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Chicago, IL

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Red Bull North America in March 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process for Red Bull was supposed to start with a screening phone interview with a corporate recruiter. The recruiter missed our scheduled call and later called to apologize and to inform me that they were going to go ahead and move me forward to an actual phone interview with the hiring manager without the screening. We set up a time for the following week and I was told to allot approximately an hour for the call. The hiring manager and I ended up talking for an hour and a half. We tackled a few of the standard interview questions but he was definitely more interested in hearing how I handled situations in previous jobs that would be similar or relevant to this position's responsibilities... a lot of anecdotal questions and answers. I felt relatively comfortable answering these tough questions even though some of the similarities in situations were a stretch. Even with the tough elaborate questions, the hiring manager allowed a somewhat relaxing, casual tone where we were able to show our personalities a little bit... as much as you can in an interview, especially over the phone. At the end of our interview, the hiring manager decided that he wanted to meet in person the following week to continue our conversation and move into the second and last interview. This in-person interview was held at RB's Chicago BU. I dressed professionally in a full suit and tie but wondered before-hand if I would be over-dressed as I knew RB had a very casual culture. The interviewer was in jeans and a nice dress shirt. I'm glad I dressed up... it didn't take anything away from my candidacy. In fact, the interviewer mentioned that he'd rather see a candidate over-dressed than under-dressed. This interview lasted two hours in one of their office conference rooms. It was almost entirely made up of more questions into how I would handle different situations and what my perceptions were with regards to different RB initiatives, competitors, etc. I thought it went very well. During this conversation some details of the position were cleared up which peaked my level of interest for the job. My only criticism for RB in this application process was they didn't offer to reimburse me for mileage or parking for the 3 hour drive to Chicago and $27 parking garage. It seemed like a small price to pay to a final candidate for such an important position. After a week to ten days, the corporate recruiter called me tell me that they wanted a few more days to make their decision. After those few extra days, I reached out to the hiring manager via email to politely see if they had any updates on their direction for the position. He called me that same day to inform me that they decided on the other candidate. He showed the professional courtesy to explain to me exactly why they made the decision. I thanked him for the opportunity and for taking the time to tell me their reasons for the decision. Although I was disappointed, this small gesture went a long way with me.

The people, office, and work culture seemed very relaxing and casual but I did get the sense from my interview that RB was taking steps to be a little more professional and create much more quantitative, measurable steps to evaluating marketing campaigns, employees, etc.

Interview Questions

• A lot of situational questions... How would you begin building relationships with the clients, assets, etc.?   View Answer
  • Give me an example of how you dealt with an uncooperative client, asset, etc. from your past jobs?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Detroit, MI

The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Red Bull North America in September 2009.

Interview Details – They spoke with me for over an hour over the phone, even though I had no beverage exp.

Interview Question – Walk me through your resume.   View Answer

Worked for Red Bull North America? Contribute to the Community!