Red Frog Events Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2015
Updated Apr 8, 2015

2.9

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Interview

I got a digital interview. You record yourself answering questions and then submit them. You see people onscreen asking questions they've recorded (a well edited movie basically) and then you have to respond, giving a monologue to your own computer screen.

Interview Questions

• They asked how you'd handle an event that was suddenly cancelled.   Answer Question

Event Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Red Frog Events.

Interview

First you have to apply online and then if they like you there is a phone interview. If you are cool enough to get past that then they invite you to come to their awesome office for an in person interview. The phone interview is done by one person, and the in person interview is done by two. They ask you normal questions and then at the end you pick a card to answer a random one.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite movie?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation for interns.

Home Office Position Interview

Interview

Red Frog Events did not strike me as the place you go to work when you want to progress in your career and field, whatever it may be. The overall impression I got was that you work here either during/right out of college or towards the end of your career, when you really just want to "mentor" full-time. The people seemed very nice, but I did not get a sense that they knew how to get to where they wanted to go as a business. The inexperience level seemed high. Working 3 summers in college as an events coordinator with RFE and then getting promoted to a leadership position certainly qualifies as work experience, but it does not automatically make you experienced in the way most professionals intend when employing the term.

I read the negative reviews on Glassdoor prior to the interview and while I did not get an overwhelming sense of clique-ishness, the interview environment did feel unnaturally forced at times. For example, the interviewer would slouch in chair and then suddenly snap to attention, almost as if remembering one shouldn't slouch at work. Took me by surprise and made me jump too. A lot of "like, you know, this" or "like, um, that"s. One person said something that was obviously an inside joke and laugh and the other interviewer in the room would look at her an follow suit. I have no problem with "um, likes," if quality of thought is still communicated, and I am always in favor of good posture, but it did feel as though I were being offered to the employees to practice newly acquired professional skills lessons. Odd and stilted is how I'd characterize the experience, more than anything.

There was very little structure or rigor to the interview process and only two or so questions across all of the interviews related directly to the job. Even then, they weren't the right questions IMO - for example, if you have only one chance to question an architect you want to hire, would it really be "what is your favorite tool, hammer or screwdriver"? Most of the time was spent answering fairly inane questions, similar to what you'd be asked on an awkward blind date (what kind of music do you like?). I understand that having a cultural fit is very important but arguably so is finding out whether the candidate can do the job. Many of the interviewers were also potential direct reports to the open position and I question the logic of having individuals who are not experts in a particular area vetting candidates. I sensed that a couple of the interviewers did not know the (rather standard) processes and professional tools to which I referred but rather than ask me to elucidate, I got blank looks on the faces and a lot of navel-gazing. Awkward. Many companies have long abandoned this practice of vetting your own boss, since the qualities and skills that determine who will succeed in a position or enable future leaders are not often the same you would choose when hiring your own boss. Experience matters. You just don't know what you don't know, a lesson I've learned many times thanks to all of my bosses over the years, and often at the expense of my ego. It's never a pleasant experience to be overruled or told there's a different way to do it better, no matter how gently, but it is a valuable one and makes for a stronger team and true personal & professional growth.

I have no ill feelings towards this company and I wish them the best of luck. I question whether they will be able to continue to scale and grow successfully based on the little I saw but hope that they find a way. I am relieved, however, not to have been offered a position. I honestly believe that taking the job would have been career suicide in the long run (but their perks package may have been hard to turn down! ;)

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite Red Frog Event? This is about as unexpected as the line of questioning got.   Answer Question

Event Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Red Frog Events (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The hiring process had 3 steps: online application, phone interview, and then in-person interview. After submitting my cover letter and resume online, I received a phone interview. This consisted of questions on leadership, your role on a team, and random questions about your personality. This included questions such as: "What are 3 things on your bucket list?" and "If you could have a private concert for you and your friends, who would perform?"

After passing the phone interview, I had an in-person interview. The questions were out of the ordinary but fun to answer. Questions included "What color describes you?" and "If you could pick a song to describe your life, what would it be?" Overall, it was a relaxed interview where laughing was encouraged. I got a call that I got an offer the next week.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you were stressed and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Event Coordinator Interview

Interview

I was studying abroad when I applied. Sent in resume and cover letter and got an email scheduling a phone interview. Shortly after, received an email saying that I got a skype interview. Skype was much more personal. Phone interview was basic questions

Event Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Frog Events.

Interview

Resume and cover letter submission first via website, then 30 minute phone interview and 30 minute in person interview at office in Chicago. The phone interview is with one full-time employee and the in-person interview could be with 1-3 full time employees on the Recruitment team.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't a negotiation phase.

Event Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Red Frog Events.

Interview

Applied, offered an interview the next morning (Digital/Video Interview), hired same day as interview. It was actually quite easy as long as you're familiar with the company and have been on other interviews. I had been anticipating a lot of creative, improvisation type questions, but they were all pretty predictable and easy to answer.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard questions- a lot about working with groups   Answer Question

Event Coordinator Interview

Interview

Applied online through the website, was contacted by phone after two days. Next I had to schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview I received an email to schedule an in person interview at their office in Chicago.

Interview Questions

• If you had a budget of $200,000 what kind of event would you host?   Answer Question

Event Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Red Frog Events in August 2014.

Interview

I applied in late May 2014 and my application status remained listed as 'screened' for a little over 2 months before it changed to 'interview'. During this period I emailed them twice, both times with relatively quick responses saying that they were in the process of changing the program to travel-based rather than Chicago based and that they were working on it. So, in regards to time I believe they are typically much more punctual with getting around to interviews.

The interview process consisted of a one-way video chat where I was recorded while answering questions that had been previously recorded. It was definitely uncomfortable, but I had 30 seconds to prepare each answer before recording began and I could take as many practice interviews as I like. I preferred this method of interviewing to traditional face-to-face or Skype because it cut out any awkward introductions or moments between questions and I really loved having 30 seconds to prep an answer without being judged for not having an answer off the top of my head.

My biggest piece of advice is to really prepare - know what you want say to base almost every answer to the typical interview questions and then have random fun facts about yourself on hand too; also know all about Red Frog, you won't get the job if they don't think you're interested and you don't look interested if you don't know what events they host or what their core values are. There are a ton of people out there who want this more than anything and have been preparing for a long time who will get it over you if you don't prepare like they do. I did get the internship and even though it wasn't what I had originally applied for, it was an amazing experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time something went wrong at work that was your fault and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Event Coordinator Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Red Frog Events.

Interview

I was very excited about the chance to interview with Red Frog and was given the initial phone interview. I knew it was a difficult internship to get so I tried to prepare really well for the interview. The Red Frog hiring staff were very organized and friendly in their communication with me and I was impressed by that. Unfortunately, I had not prepared quite as well as I could have and really stumbled on several of my answers. I knew I wouldn't be getting another interview right after I hung up the phone. I would recommend anyone interviewing here to really do your research on the company and be ready to think on your feet.

Interview Questions

• Which Red Frog event would you be most interested in attending?   1 Answer