Red Gate Software
Interviews for Top Jobs at Red Gate Software
- Graduate Software Engineer (1)
- Sales (1)
- Inside Sales (1)
- Software Developer (1)
- User Experience Designer (1)
- User Experience Specialist (1)
- Graduate User Experience SPecialist (1)
- Scrun Master (1)
- Software Sales Person (1)
Graduate User Experience SPecialist Interview
The process took 1+ week – interviewed at Red Gate Software in February 2012.
Red gate seems like a great place to work, and I interviewed for their Graduate UXD position, as its a fairly rare job to find, and its what I want to shape my career in. I don't come from a strictly design / UX background, so I was excited to have made it through the initial screening - cv check, portfolio and a simple exercise to design a website for a company starting a new service. This was intentionally vague (drinks company in my case), but I seemed to get along fine, thought I did a good job.
Got throughly grilled at the interview though, and the interviewers managed to find me contradict myself in every sentence. If I claimed one of the fundamentals of good UX is consistency, I got shot down by being told that it would stop innovation. True, but any 'rule' always has exceptions. 90% of the time consistency is probably more important than shaking things up, imo!
- Was given a 15min exercise to redesign an excel dialog box.
- Standard questions like: Why UX when your background is X? What are your rules in UX?
- Whats your definition of a good website?
Anyway, just carefully word every answer you give, because you might just get a rough interviewer. I think I may have ticked one of them off at the first sentence though (oops!)