Red Gate Software

www.red-gate.com

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Graduate User Experience SPecialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Red Gate Software in February 2012.

Red gate seems like a great place to work, and I interviewed for their Graduate UXD position, as its a fairly rare job to find, and its what I want to shape my career in. I don't come from a strictly design / UX background, so I was excited to have made it through the initial screening - cv check, portfolio and a simple exercise to design a website for a company starting a new service. This was intentionally vague (drinks company in my case), but I seemed to get along fine, thought I did a good job.

Got throughly grilled at the interview though, and the interviewers managed to find me contradict myself in every sentence. If I claimed one of the fundamentals of good UX is consistency, I got shot down by being told that it would stop innovation. True, but any 'rule' always has exceptions. 90% of the time consistency is probably more important than shaking things up, imo!

- Was given a 15min exercise to redesign an excel dialog box.
- Standard questions like: Why UX when your background is X? What are your rules in UX?
- Whats your definition of a good website?

Anyway, just carefully word every answer you give, because you might just get a rough interviewer. I think I may have ticked one of them off at the first sentence though (oops!)

Interview Questions