Red Gate Software

Updated Aug 9, 2014
Updated Aug 9, 2014

3.3

Software Sales Person Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Red Gate Software.

The interviews are casual, but very thorough. It is important to the company that you fit into the culture and have drive and motivation to succeed. Eagerness to learn and better yourself is also important. There are 3 interviews total, one phone screen and two in-person interviews. The phone interview will go over your previous experience, why you want to work at this company, and why you want the position. It is also to screen your phone manner. The first in-person interview will go more in-depth about your previous experience and how you apply your experience to the position. It is also very much about personality at this point and what kind of management style you work best in. The second in-person interview will include a presentation, where HR gives you a question ahead of time and you must demonstrate the ability to clearly articulate technical knowledge. This presentation also tests your ability to learn technical knowledge and how you present this knowledge.

Make sure you are able to go in-depth with your previous experience if need be--they will catch any/all BS that you make up by continuously asking follow-up questions if they think you're lying. It is important that you ask questions and be yourself in these interviews as that is critically important to this company when hiring anyone.

User Experience Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Gate Software.

I applied through their website, and first off it took them 2 weeks to just hear back from them for the first time. After scheduling a phone interview, I was told that I'd have a half hour talk with two people, and that there would be nothing specific for me to prepare beforehand.
    On the day of the phone call, one of the people who I was told would be there wasn't, and they had replaced that person with someone else. It was an intense phone interview, and completely contradicted what they had said about not requiring any specific preparation beforehand. The interviewers didn't answer any questions I had about the company very well, and kept bouncing the questions back to me - asking me why I wanted to know the details I was asking for. (My questions were as simple as 'Do you have a User Research Team?' and before answering me, they asked me why I wanted to know the answer to that in detail, and even turned that question into an interview)
    Overall, I wasn't happy with the interview, and the fact that the HR team had mentioned that no preparation would be required was extremely misleading, when clearly they expected the candidate to be extremely well prepared for the interview. Replacing interviewers at the last minute should be informed, as the candidates would have done a lot of research about the people interviewing them as well. I think they need to improve their communication with candidates better.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing specific, but if you're going to be asking them questions, then be prepared to first justify your question before you can even consider receiving an answer from them. Not a very people friendly attitude.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Red Gate Software in June 2013.

Hiring process was very good, After submitting my CV I was contacted by HR. First phase is a telephone interview. I passed this stage (no trick questions) just a general chat. I was sent details about the face to face interview and I also had to prepare a presentation. Th topic was chosen by the interviewers. The face to face interview was with 2 inside sales reps. They were very friendly and open. I presented the topic using PowerPoint. Then out of the blue, they gave me a competency based task. They would phone me as a prospective customer and I was to help guide the customer. They left me with 3 sheets of paper each containing products, one sheet contained 4 makes of i pads, the second sheet contained 4 models of mobile phones, the last sheet were projectors i think (i can't quite remember). They gave me time to digest the products. They left the room and and one of them called me on the phone as a customer wanting to buy an ipad. I was a little bamboozled by all the features of the different models of ipad so I really fumbled at this point. I am not an ipad user. The trick is to slow down and conduct a solution sell & questioning. Anyway I thought I did alright. I must admit I was a little thrown off at this point because i was not expecting a competency based task. Then we finished the interview.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Red Gate Software in October 2012.

After having passed the CV stage, you will be sent an assessment. Don't rush this, as you only get 1 chance to impress. All communication was performed via email (very helpful).
    After the assessment you will get a 1st interview at the headquarters. The interview will be around 45 minutes, but they say it may last longer (I expect good candidates take longer).

You will be expected to perform white board coding - you will need to be good at this and explain your code (you are not expected to write perfect code, however they will be expecting you to explain everything). Personally, I stumbled at this point, and I didn't impress.

Interview Questions
    • A question about the workings of the string library (can't remember fully now).   Answer Question

Graduate User Experience SPecialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Red Gate Software in February 2012.

Red gate seems like a great place to work, and I interviewed for their Graduate UXD position, as its a fairly rare job to find, and its what I want to shape my career in. I don't come from a strictly design / UX background, so I was excited to have made it through the initial screening - cv check, portfolio and a simple exercise to design a website for a company starting a new service. This was intentionally vague (drinks company in my case), but I seemed to get along fine, thought I did a good job.

Got throughly grilled at the interview though, and the interviewers managed to find me contradict myself in every sentence. If I claimed one of the fundamentals of good UX is consistency, I got shot down by being told that it would stop innovation. True, but any 'rule' always has exceptions. 90% of the time consistency is probably more important than shaking things up, imo!

- Was given a 15min exercise to redesign an excel dialog box.
    - Standard questions like: Why UX when your background is X? What are your rules in UX?
    - Whats your definition of a good website?

Anyway, just carefully word every answer you give, because you might just get a rough interviewer. I think I may have ticked one of them off at the first sentence though (oops!)

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Red Gate Software in March 2011.

I sent a CV and covering letter, but I received nothing in response for a week, so I sent a follow-up email. The next day they sent me a coding exercise to complete. It was suggested that it would take around 2 hours to complete, and it did. It involved writing code to solve a problem that was well defined and somewhat challenging.

A few days after sending the exercise back I got invited to an interview. This was held 10 days later by two software developers in their twenties. The interview involved whiteboard coding - not completely trivial stuff, but also not trick questions. They asked about previous projects I had been involved with, and about dependency injection, and about testing. They seemed to be trying to gain an understanding of how I approached software development, but they did not seem to have looked at the code I had written for their exercise - this was apparently the job of somebody else.

I asked about:
     - Their work-flow: it seemed reasonable (they said they use scrum).
     - Code Reviews: did not seem important to them (they said they were "just trusted to get on with it"), although they said they did some pair-programming.
     - Their office: they gave me a tour - it was nice, open plan but not noisy.

I stumbled over some of the technical questions they gave me, and I got the feeling the interviewers were not impressed, so I was not surprised two weeks later when they emailed to say I had not been successful.

It seemed like an interesting place to work, overall, but not perfect. I got the feeling I prepared more for the interview then the interviewers, and they were sometimes slow answering emails.

Interview Questions
    • How might you use dependency injection to test some business code that sends emails.   Answer Question

Scrun Master Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Gate Software in January 2011.

Telephone interview followed by normal interview

User Experience Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Gate Software in July 2009.

After submitting a portfolio and CV I was asked to complete a short assessment over a few days. It was a small end-to-end design task (designing a web app). Having been selected for interview following that stage I was asked down to Cambridge for a first interview.

Throughout the whole process the HR people were incredibly helpful and communicative. I was refunded all travel expenses and a taxi was waiting for me to take me to their offices. Having arrived I was given a drink and immediately went in for interview with two people who would be my peers. This first interview was all about technical skill (design in my case) and included a couple of practical on the spot tests. Quite simple really, one was to look at a printout of a bit of UI and suggest an improved design. 10 minutes tops.

That done I was given a tour of the building and taken to lunch with the team.

Presumably because I'd done well I was immediately given a 2nd interview that same afternoon. This normally would happen on a different day but since I had to travel quite a distance they took that into account.

The second interview was tougher. It was all about team fit, personality and such like. The key here is to be open, honest, humble but confident at the same time. Red Gate puts a lot of stock on team and cultural fit and they look for people with initiative, creativity and a willingness to get their hands dirty with real work.

Interview Questions
    • Salary expectations. Unlike other places they often cover this at second interview.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate because I got the offer I was looking for (having discussed it briefly at interview).

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Red Gate Software in June 2009.

Very streamlined and efficient with some very friendly and willing contacts in HR who made everything as simple and worry-free as possible. The entire application process took just over a fortnight from initial application to being offered a job. The phone interview was genuinely fun and enjoyable and gave me an insight into the kind of people I was going to work with.

Interview Questions
    • What happens when you enter an address into a web browser?   View Answer
    • What motivates you to get up in the morning?   View Answer
    All my expectations were met; everything was made clear from the start and I feel that I didn't need to negotiate anything; the benefits no top of generous remuneration is second to none. Aside from Google perhaps.