Red Hat Associate Technical Support Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2015

2.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in January 2010.

Interview

Nothing technical at all really. It is pretty much 4 people at different times that want to see if you are a good social fit. They are hiring some people right out of the mac store. You will be expected to pass the RHCE exam so you will go straight into training. If you do not after 3 tries you are not going to be kept on

Interview Questions

• Tell a customer service story where you were successful and one where the customer was being hostile.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salary is fixed.

Other Interview Reviews for Red Hat

Associate Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brno (Czech Republic)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Brno (Czech Republic)) in December 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter (aka Talent Acquisition Specialist). I responded and we setup an initial phone interview. The recruiter did most of the talking. They found me through LinkedIn and GitHub. Then the recruiter setup an interview with the people from the team that I was being considered for. This second interview was two hours. First hour was a technical interview with three people asking me technical stuff, focused on troubleshooting and explaining concepts in a structured way. During the second hour I spoke with a manager. He asked me some more customer-focused questions and we did a role-play where he pretended to be an angry customer.

Interview Questions

• Customer tells you they have a system that won't boot. How can you help them fix it?   1 Answer
    • You have an LVM setup like this. You have run out of space on your filesystem, you cannot delete data, and you do not have any more storage devices. Where can you look for more storage space? /dev/sda -> physical volume -> volume group -> logical volume -> filesystem -> /mnt/stuff   1 Answer

Associate Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brno (Czech Republic)

Application

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat (Brno (Czech Republic)) in February 2012.

Interview

Applied through a head-hunter company, and was contacted by a RedHat reprsentative via e-mail in 1.5-2 hours after my resume was actually sent to Red Hat. Contact person sent me 2 questionarries (technical and support one). Technical questionarrie consisted of around 30 questions that widely covered knowledge of Linux (and operating systems in general) architecture and internals, networking principles, and a bit of command-line foo. There were 3 customer support questions - "what will be your answer in this situation" ones. It took me about 2 days to answer these (there's no time-limit though). After I sent out answered questions - I had to wait for about 2 or 3 weeks until Red Hat representative got back to me with the updates (and I had to even ping them once - HR I contacted asked to send him a reminder in case I wait for a reply for too long). After that I had 3 phone interviews (1 with my future boss and 2 technical ones). There was a large time gap between technical interviews - mainly due to technical lead who had to interview me was rather busy (in his own words). Phone interviews took about 30-60 minutes each - the questions were very simple, like how I behave in different situations during the work process, what makes me happy etc. Technical part was also easy (for a person with 6+ years of Linux experience). After phone interviews - I was invited to a F2F interview to Brno. It took around 4 hours and I met the same guys who interviewed me by phone. The questions was almost the same as in the phone interview. During the overall process I felt that I was an interesting candidate for Red Hat, they always sent me a status updates (when I asked for that :) ). Good feeling though - you know that your application is in progress and someone over there is working on it.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Since working at Red Hat is my dream - there was not much negotiation and I asked for a minimum. Actually they always tell that "their proposal is competitive". You will only know the exact sum when you'll be sent an offer letter.