Red Hat Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

3.4

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Some technical questions, but very superficial... more about past experiences and telling them what they were like. Technical questions were just about programming experiences, the type of things I've done, etc. Phone screen was more about the different types of programming and technical questions, whereas in person was much more to vet personality.

Interview Questions

• OOP questions, Java, algorithms, pretty standard and fairly typical.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Red Hat

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

I was surprised that the interview process was not as professional as I expected. All of the engineers and managers I dealt with were fine, but I had to email the HR representative multiple times to get feedback.

Interview Questions

• The most UNEXPECTED question was, "So... tell me what design patterns you have used. Just name some."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter, technical phone interview with a Sr. Consultant, and for the final interview, they flew me to NYC for a full day interview that consisted of a two hour long technical interview and hour+ long interviews with two different managers. They paid for the flight, and told me I had to pay for everything else and that I would be reimbursed for all expenses. I submitted my receipts and they reimbursed me for about 1/3 of the real costs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Red Hat (Washington, DC) in August 2010.

Interview

This was a pre-screening interview to determine if my skill set matched the Red Hat requirement. I was applying for more of a consultant/systems architecture role, with a background in many flavors of UNIX support and systems Integration, but they were looking for a Red Hat certified systems administrator/engineer. Interesting that Red Hat prefers to hire people who are already experts in their products. Since I did not have 5 years or more of hands-on Red Hat Linux experience, they were not interested.

Interview Questions

• How many years of direct Red Hat Linux Support experience do you have?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

After a few phone calls with an HR recruiter there was a tech screening interview. It lasted an hour and had maybe a dozen linux specific questions. I passed on the ones I couldn't answer 100% correctly and gave detailed explanations when possible. There was also time to ask the screener, who was also a consultant, questions about their job. I'd say that I had a good 2/3 of the questions answered with great detail. I traveled for an in person interview with the consultant manager and a senior consultant. It was fairly relaxed. There were some role playing questions, preparation for the amount of travel required, and general "why Red Hat?" questions.

Interview Questions

• What is a Consultant and how does it differ from being a Systems Administrator?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a customer that wants you to perform work that is out of the project scope?   1 Answer