Red Hat

Red Hat Consultant Interview Questions & Reviews

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Red Hat in August 2010.

Interview Details – This was a pre-screening interview to determine if my skill set matched the Red Hat requirement. I was applying for more of a consultant/systems architecture role, with a background in many flavors of UNIX support and systems Integration, but they were looking for a Red Hat certified systems administrator/engineer. Interesting that Red Hat prefers to hire people who are already experts in their products. Since I did not have 5 years or more of hands-on Red Hat Linux experience, they were not interested.

Interview Question – How many years of direct Red Hat Linux Support experience do you have?   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Red Hat in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was surprised that the interview process was not as professional as I expected. All of the engineers and managers I dealt with were fine, but I had to email the HR representative multiple times to get feedback.

Interview Question – The most UNEXPECTED question was, "So... tell me what design patterns you have used. Just name some."   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview Details – After a few phone calls with an HR recruiter there was a tech screening interview. It lasted an hour and had maybe a dozen linux specific questions. I passed on the ones I couldn't answer 100% correctly and gave detailed explanations when possible. There was also time to ask the screener, who was also a consultant, questions about their job. I'd say that I had a good 2/3 of the questions answered with great detail.

I traveled for an in person interview with the consultant manager and a senior consultant. It was fairly relaxed. There were some role playing questions, preparation for the amount of travel required, and general "why Red Hat?" questions.

Interview Questions

• What is a Consultant and how does it differ from being a Systems Administrator?   Answer Question
  • How would you handle a customer that wants you to perform work that is out of the project scope?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Red Hat in March 2012.

Interview Details – Phone screen with recruiter, technical phone interview with a Sr. Consultant, and for the final interview, they flew me to NYC for a full day interview that consisted of a two hour long technical interview and hour+ long interviews with two different managers.

They paid for the flight, and told me I had to pay for everything else and that I would be reimbursed for all expenses. I submitted my receipts and they reimbursed me for about 1/3 of the real costs.

Interview Question – Tell me a joke.   Answer Question

Worked for Red Hat? Contribute to the Community!