Red Hat General Engineering Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

4.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

General Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Red Hat in January 2010.

Contact you through email to set up phone and formal interview.

Very Strong focus on behavioral interview questions with details and specifics, dealing with customer or co-worker experiences. This is odd because your job is mostly technical, but they focus more on how you interact with others than technical knowledge.

Lack of focus on technical questions, but when they do, they ask you to go into details.

They will go down a list of your knowledge. Not really asking details about it, but asking if u know about it. Odd thing is that for that position, they ask you if you know how to do things that is beyond the scope of that job position. Usually yes or no answers.

Person may ask you same questions worded differently probably due to laziness or realization that he's only supposed to pick one from each group. Because of this, be prepared to have multiple answers to the same question.

Some of the people at Red Hat have nose in the air because it's Red Hat. They act and dress the way they want. Red Hat is a very luxurious place with people that look homeless. One interview was late 15-20 minutes. Had sunglasses on the whole time, and play with his phone. Another just look like a homeless.

=======================
I really wanted the job and I fel that it fit my personality as well as offer me a big opportunity to learn. However, I did not like the people there. I would love to walk around and say I work at Red Hat, but I don't know if I want to work with the people at Red Hat day after day. I didn't sense that they're the kind of people that would have your back.

I do not believe that the best/most knowledgeable person always get the job. The best interviewer usually gets the job. You can be a knowledgeable person that mostly work alone creating your stuff, but when you go to Red Hat, they will ask you questions as if you worked in customer service. The questions are generally the same for entry level or higher ups.

I had a friend who got a job offer from Red Hat, but declined. He said that they give you too much work and want you to do everything. He is a high level person right now at another company. He does not like Red Hat....now I know why. Red Hat maybe a great server company, but to work there...not so.

If you have high hopes for this company, just don't. Go for the interview and see it for yourself, but don't expect much. You won't leave feeling good if you have so much knowledge, and they asking you about situations dealing with customers or co-workers.

Interview Questions
  • Explain a situation where there was a problem or conflict with a co-workers or customers. How did you dreal with the situation? What did you do to resolve it?   Answer Question