Red Hat Interview Questions

Updated Mar 31, 2015

3.1

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

My interview with Red Hat was very pleasant. The interviewer was polite, offered me bottled water, and made the conversation flow smoothly. I was also taken on a tour of the office and met a few of the employees in the group I was interviewing for.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a work experience where someone disagreed with you?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

First, got the pre-screen phone interview, and then set up an onsite interview in the following week.
    HR people are very professional, and the people I met are very nice. The whole process took about 3 hours long. and the behavior questions were very common and basic. You will be fine if you prepare for the technical questions.

Product Manager I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Westford, MA).

Interview

2 phone screens (HR and development manager), online present, and then a meet and greet onsite in Westford. The onsite visit was about 4 hours long. Pretty standard questions, not really impressed with the interviewers ~ really didn't answer my questions.

Received offer and was told that I needed to start immediately; this, despite, telling them, several times in fact, that due to my wife's medical condition that I could not relocate for 4 to 6 weeks (I was moving from Canada). 4 weeks after turning offer down, a different recruiter contacted me and said they were willing to wait. I declined again.

Interview Questions

• Given the nature of the position, I was asked several questions relating to my experience as a "product manager".   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was reasonable.

Performance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

I had applied online through their company's career page for a summer internship position. About 2-3 weeks later, I received a phone call from the head of the Performance Engineering Team stating that they wanted me to meet with the team (which consisted of about 5 engineers in total). Later that week, I received a mail from their HR scheduling my interview.

Interview Questions

• The interview was mostly a behaviorial. They just wanted to see if I had any experience in the work they were doing - performance profiling. The team was extremely friendly and asked me a lot about my projects and my previous work ex. Unfortunately, they were looking for someone with a stronger Python skills and more experience with performance optimization than what I had had, and therefore didn't get the offer. They relayed the message to through a phone call, which was rather surprising since most rejections are done through mail. However, the entire experience was extremely smooth.   Answer Question

Middleware Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Atlanta, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

If I had to attribute one word to this interview process it would be: concise. They were extremely quick with their communications, and helpful with any questions I had. Hands down this was the most pleasant interview experience I've had. The whole process consisted of a phone call with an HR representative within Red Hat, a challenging technical interview over the phone, then an in person meeting with the person who would be my People Manager. Overall an extremely pleasant experience. Yours may not go the same way, in terms of speed, but I can promise it will be pleasant.

Interview Questions

• The person leading the technical interview told me I had 5 minutes to explain anything technical of my choosing in as much detail as possible.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Red Hat (Charlotte, NC) in January 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews, about one hour each.

Neither were especially technical, we discussed the team they were hiring for, the experience and qualities they were looking for, and fairly standard questions for software engineers.

The first interview was with a software engineer on the team. He was friendly and, after looking over my experience, seemed to feel I would be a good fit. After the interview he passed me on to his supervisor.

The second interview was with his supervisor, the team lead. While he repeated many of the same questions as the first interview, the friendly casual air was replaced with that of an interrogation. Many of the questions I asked were taken in the most negative context possible, more than once derailing the interview into the interviewer venting about past team members.

I've heard nothing further about this job, but after the last interview I really didn't want to work with this man so I haven't followed up about it either.

Inside Sales Interview

Interview

Initial recruiter screening with phone interview. Face to face interviews with two managers and a Sr. Director that allowed deep dive into the actual position. After this we had a role play call.

Interview Questions

• The role play was unexpected but had a few days to prepare.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter on campus and followed up by signing up for an on campus interview via the campus job site. It was mostly just get to know the company, see if it was right for you kind of thing. A few days later a recruiter emailed to set up an on campus interview in Raleigh. The first night was a dinner where you got to speak with current Red Hat employees and learn more about the company and culture. The second day they gave us lunch and had 2 1 hour interviews that were not technical at all.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in November 2014.

Interview

I met some Red Hat representatives from the Raleigh office at my University's career fair, dropped off a Resume and was contacted about arranging a first round interview. I met with one of the guys on the consulting team and had a time talking about Red Hat's role in the Linux community both in regards to business and charity programs. I was told that the interview would be mostly technical but at no point was I ever drilled with coding questions.

Later on, I was invited to a final round interview in Raleigh which involved a dinner with Red Hat employees from all over the country working in a variety of different departments, as well as a corresponding multi-part interview that occurred the next day at the office. It was clear to me that these interviews were designed to find a good project fit for me as most of the questions centered around personal business interests and opinions of project management and organization (e.g. hinting at what kind of clients would you want to work with).

I was given an offer about 2 weeks later from the recruiter in which I was given multiple location options. While it was kind of scary waiting for so long after the interview, overall, I was very pleased with the way the process was handled and how courteous everyone was during each stage of the process. The interviewers didn't go off a script or anything, unlike a lot of the other jobs I had interviewed for this year, and seemed genuinely interested in everything I had to say. Red Hat clearly values your personality and is definitely devoted to putting together a diverse and interesting community of employees, regardless of what their position may be.

Interview Questions

• How much does a 747 weight?   1 Answer
    • Let's say you get started on a new project you know nothing about, what are some of the questions you would ask before getting started?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They gave me a pretty awesome starting package, so I wasn't about to complain.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Red Hat in October 2014.

Interview

This position was brought to my attention through my staffing agency. They presented the position and I did an initial phone screen. The phone conversation was about 45 minutes long and consisted of mostly technical questions. Very little about personality came into plan during the screening. While there were basic, straight-forward answers, there were quite a few challenging "big picture" questions as well that involved designing project structure as well as database schemas. Having only done the phone screening, it proved to be quite difficult to conduct a relatively in-depth interview over the phone.

Interview Questions

• The difficult piece of the interview was answering business case or design questions that took a minute to think about and would have certainly helped to have a whiteboard or at least been in the room with them.   Answer Question