Red Hat Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.1

Junior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Red Hat in September 2014.

2 rounds of Phone Interview followed by a face to face interview round in the Company with a panel of 3 team members.

Questions Asked:
    5. Static - Variable, Method and Class Purpose
    6. Inner Class - Purpose and Example
    7. Multi Threading
    8. Asked to write a basic Java Program - Logic Specific
    9. Asked to draw tables and show the 3rd Normalization and from those tables drawn, was asked to perform sum() with a specific condition

Principal Software Engineer, Big Data Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Westford, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Red Hat in June 2014.

The interview process involved a recruiter phone screening, number of behavioral interviews over the phone with team members, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager (iirc). I was told they'd get back to me by a certain date. Then they asked for a two-week extension when they date came. Then they never got back to me. They left me hanging, not knowing how to conduct the rest of my job search. They never even had the decency to let me know I was no longer being considered, despite promising to call me back.

Also, the job was advertised as allowing remote work from anywhere in the U.S., but they declined to advertise that there are 7 states from which they won't normally hire people. So it was irritating to invest the effort into getting an interview without knowing that likely roadblock awaited.

Overall I'm deeply disappointed with Red Hat. They showed a systemic lack of character.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember. Normal stuff like "what's your biggest mistake".   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Red Hat in March 2014.

3 interviews typically, though in my case I was referred to the Director of Talent Acquisition directly, so we skipped 2 of them. Questions about desire, RH knowledge, reason for move, time to relocate, etc. Overall very friendly and positive. The role was a little lower than I had planned but Red Hat offers promotional achievement internally, so I wasn't worried about moving up quickly, which is why I went forward with the role.

Interview Questions
    • How will my experiences carry over to Red Hat as I'm unproven on their particular technology despite supporting it for 3 years...this caught me off guard.   View Answer

Hyperion Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Red Hat in February 2014.

After applying on a DICE.com for the Job, i received a phone call from the recruiter and they asked for my details and talked to me on a video call as well. At first they setup an interview with the manager and talked to him for Half hour and then for second round the whole team talked to me for an hour on phone. After that i was called on site to have a face to face interview which lasted for 3 hours approximately. Company had through process to get the perfect candidate for the job. Recruiter haled alot to understand the manager and team better before interview.

Interview Questions
    • One of the team member explained a difficult scenario and asked me to resolve in only 20 to 30 minutes. I tried my best and resolved as much as i can. He basically wanted to see how much effort i am making to resolve it.   Answer Question

Principal Architect Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Red Hat.

Each group has their own process. There is a round of interviews that usually is 6 or more. There maybe a technical presentation or hands on exercise. It is very technical for technical position. You can not bluff your way into a job

Interview Questions
    • Prepare, present and answer questions on a topic of your choice. There will be someone in the room who probably knows more than you and will push you.   Answer Question

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Hat in March 2012.

The interview process was very informal. I did a phone screening, and face-to-face, and then a mock presentation. The technical screening (phone) consisted the usual techie questions. The panel interview was a presentation in front of the sales reps.

Interview Questions
    • The sales reps asked very sales-ey questions that i was not familiar with.   Answer Question

Sales Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Red Hat in February 2013.

I went to a career fair and met the internship program coordinator. They called me about an internship, and I said I was only interested in full-time. Interviews were a series of telephone and Skype interviews with ~5 people, and extra calls and time spent with my 2 direct supervisors. It was clear I needed to know Excel. Much of the interview focused on Excel competence, and various ways I'd used Excel in past challenges.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall the specifics, but it was a question about have you ever found yourself in a specific situation, and how did you solve the problem. I answered a very similar situation, and the main interviewer said, No, I was asking about SPECIFIC SITUATION.   View Answer
    Research glassdoor, salary.com, the NACE calculator, or other online calculators and databases, and find the appropriate salary for your role. Just by asking, you'll almost always get at least 10% more. The way you ask is important. State that fair compensation for (role) in (city), based on your research on glassdoor, salary.com, etc is $X. I'm sure we can work together toward a fair compensation package for me.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Hat in May 2014.

I found the job description on local java meetup group. A recruiter post it. Then I got connected with her. She introduced me to the position. Then I had a screen technical interview with her. After a day, she told me I passed it. After that, she told me that she would talk with a software manager and schedule a phone interview.
    I waited for about 10 days before they gave me the call. The interview was very technical. Then the recruiter called me after 3 hrs to tell me I was denied.

Interview Questions
    • thread
      multi thread
      hash map/map/hash table

iterator
      static
      final

pass by reference/value
      private/public/protected/default
      constructor/method/class

linked list and array list
      hash table

final
      abstract class

E-R model
        Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Red Hat in May 2014.

Interview was harder than expected for a phone screen. Interviewer asked very technical questions that I was not at all prepared for. The previous phone screen I had was not technical at all.

Interview Questions
    • What is REST and SOAP and explain the difference   View Answer

Product Management Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Hat in February 2014.

I got two interview calls from Red Hat for the position of product marketing intern. In the first one I was asked general questions like describing my experience and what my education level was and regarding my future career expectations. The second one was scheduled after a week and till that time they answered my queries and were very polite. I am guessing they went ahead with other applicant because since the time the interview got over they never returned any calls or did not respond to my mails. Its better to have a feedback/result from a company even if its a rejection.

Interview Questions
    • My future career goals, Explaining my role in previous positions, explaining the goals that were achieved or missed. Explain my understanding of the job requirements   Answer Question

Worked for Red Hat? Contribute to the Community!