Red Hat Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter to fill out a questionnaire. Recruiter told me that I was a great fit, but requested compensation didn't match the range for the position. So I said that I was willing to be flexible, and then the recruiter told me that they would get back to me soon. After some time I called the recruiter, who then proceeded to put me on hold. After about 20 minutes of being on hold, I was disconnected and not called back. After 2 more days I emailed the recruiter, who replied and let me know that they would talk to the hiring manager and get back to me within a day. 3 business days passed with no response from the recruiter. I then called the recruiter who told me that the hiring manager wasn't interested because of my requested salary range (despite expressing desire to be flexible). So all in all 2-3 weeks of back and forth with a recruiter, and not one conversation with a hiring manager. It is clear that Red Hat is interested in hiring cheap, rather than highly qualified individuals. If you are even marginally skilled, I would avoid applying here. The recruiter I spoke to was nice, and despite hanging up on me, and not being proactive about responding.

Interview Questions

• We think you should be paid way less then you currently make, are you willing to be flexible?   Answer Question

Learning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was relatively painless. I had an initital phone call with a recruiter, who then set up an appointment with the department head. The initial recruiter did not seem to even pay attention to what I was even saying. When I had my phone call with the department head, he was nice, but wasn't overly encouraging. They said they would contact me with the next steps. I checked my application status today, only to see I was no longer being considered. I understand that it's a large company, but given my experiences with their hiring process, I am not the Red Hat type.

Manager Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied on LinkedIn for an opening and was eventually contacted by a Senior Corporate Recruiter noting I was a great candidate for the position I applied for. She was extremely courteous and offered great insight into the organization which definitely peaked my interest. I knew Red Hat had a different corporate structure unlike typical hierarchies, however, I must say I learned a tremendous amount on "meritocracy" and the meaning of "open source" just from the recruiter. I did my research on the company (as any good candidate should) and found out this was the type of organization I wanted to work for. After 1 phone interview with SCR, I had a 2nd phone interview with hiring Sr. Manager about a week later. He was awesome and dynamic and really sold me on position. 3 business days later, I traveled to Raleigh, NC for my onsite interview with 5, 1-on-1's, a team of 3, and then presented my case study. I went on vacation the following week and when I got back, I heard from the recruiter that I was still in the running. I provided my requested references and after a couple of days of continued communication with potential peers and my future boss, I was offered the position. If you're planning on applying for any position at Red Hat, I HIGHLY suggest you read "Open Organization" by Jim Whitehurst (who happens to be the CEO of Red Hat). In fact, you should probably just read the book even if you apply to ANY position to ANY organization...By 2020, when 50% of the workforce will be millennials, many of these concepts will be embraced by the companies who change to stay successful...the other companies will fall away like the dinosaurs.

Interview Questions

• They want to know who you are (behavioral questions) and if you'll really be a good fit for the culture. They want employees who are "real" leaders but can also work together and produce value through influence and not because of your fancy job title. This company isn't for everyone, but for the lucky ones who have the drive, determination and passion for success, this maybe your ticket to TRUE job satisfaction. I'm really hoping it is for me...   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied not knowing it was RH. Recruiter contacted me. Then phone interview. Then in-person interview with 6 people for 4 hrs. Questions were amateur. Wasn't impressed with management at all. Attitude of "we work for RH" and "lots of people dont make it here" - extreme arrogance. Any co that thinks snacks, exercise equip and pool tables will draw good quality employees is going to draw that same arrogance instead of quality. RH is cheap, overrated, and -from the inept questions asked - not wise. Wisdom trumps lip service and snacks, folks. Definitely lots of preaching on fabulous culture and no practicing.

Interview Questions

• All questions were elementary - as if I had applied at a box store as a cashier.   Answer Question

Senior Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat (Houston, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I made initial contact through a couple previous colleagues. Then I had three phone interviews with the hiring manager, one of his peers in another location, an HR representative. Next, I had two 1-on-1 interviews with the hiring manager and a sales manager who I would be supporting. The hiring manager requested that I take a technical pre-training assessment on-line, and suggested a couple books that I could read to learn more about the position and business environment I would be in (I read one and felt I had adequate background with the other). Next came an hour-long panel interview with the hiring manager, the sales manager I would support, and two of his account managers (one of those was the former colleague who introduced me at the beginning). Lastly, I met with two more account manager future colleagues whom I would be supporting, mostly for informal introductions.

Interview Questions

• How would I handle product questions early on (before I knew the technology)? Describe a situation where I contributed to a win in a complex/difficult sales campaign? Describe a situation where I addressed the needs of a difficult customer. How would I prioritize activities with the several account managers I was supporting? Also, many questions about my technical past (e.g., environments, computer languages, technologies, etc.).   Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

My interview with Red Hat was very pleasant. The interviewer was polite, offered me bottled water, and made the conversation flow smoothly. I was also taken on a tour of the office and met a few of the employees in the group I was interviewing for.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a work experience where someone disagreed with you?   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

I received a phone interview before an series of in-person interview. The in-person interviews consisted of three total, all conducted within a few hours on the same day. The process took about two months from applying to receiving an offer. The company was very professional throughout.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you overcame a significant challenge in your previous work.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

First, got the pre-screen phone interview, and then set up an onsite interview in the following week. HR people are very professional, and the people I met are very nice. The whole process took about 3 hours long. and the behavior questions were very common and basic. You will be fine if you prepare for the technical questions.

Product Manager I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Westford, MA).

Interview

2 phone screens (HR and development manager), online present, and then a meet and greet onsite in Westford. The onsite visit was about 4 hours long. Pretty standard questions, not really impressed with the interviewers ~ really didn't answer my questions. Received offer and was told that I needed to start immediately; this, despite, telling them, several times in fact, that due to my wife's medical condition that I could not relocate for 4 to 6 weeks (I was moving from Canada). 4 weeks after turning offer down, a different recruiter contacted me and said they were willing to wait. I declined again.

Interview Questions

• Given the nature of the position, I was asked several questions relating to my experience as a "product manager".   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was reasonable.

Performance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

I had applied online through their company's career page for a summer internship position. About 2-3 weeks later, I received a phone call from the head of the Performance Engineering Team stating that they wanted me to meet with the team (which consisted of about 5 engineers in total). Later that week, I received a mail from their HR scheduling my interview.

Interview Questions

• The interview was mostly a behaviorial. They just wanted to see if I had any experience in the work they were doing - performance profiling. The team was extremely friendly and asked me a lot about my projects and my previous work ex. Unfortunately, they were looking for someone with a stronger Python skills and more experience with performance optimization than what I had had, and therefore didn't get the offer. They relayed the message to through a phone call, which was rather surprising since most rejections are done through mail. However, the entire experience was extremely smooth.   Answer Question