Red Hat

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

3.1

Inside Sales Interview

Initial recruiter screening with phone interview. Face to face interviews with two managers and a Sr. Director that allowed deep dive into the actual position. After this we had a role play call.

Interview Questions
    • The role play was unexpected but had a few days to prepare.   Answer Question

Associate Middleware Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat.

Spoke with a recruiter on campus and followed up by signing up for an on campus interview via the campus job site. It was mostly just get to know the company, see if it was right for you kind of thing. A few days later a recruiter emailed to set up an on campus interview in Raleigh. The first night was a dinner where you got to speak with current Red Hat employees and learn more about the company and culture. The second day they gave us lunch and had 2 1 hour interviews that were not technical at all.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat in November 2014.

I met some Red Hat representatives from the Raleigh office at my University's career fair, dropped off a Resume and was contacted about arranging a first round interview. I met with one of the guys on the consulting team and had a time talking about Red Hat's role in the Linux community both in regards to business and charity programs. I was told that the interview would be mostly technical but at no point was I ever drilled with coding questions.

Later on, I was invited to a final round interview in Raleigh which involved a dinner with Red Hat employees from all over the country working in a variety of different departments, as well as a corresponding multi-part interview that occurred the next day at the office. It was clear to me that these interviews were designed to find a good project fit for me as most of the questions centered around personal business interests and opinions of project management and organization (e.g. hinting at what kind of clients would you want to work with).

I was given an offer about 2 weeks later from the recruiter in which I was given multiple location options. While it was kind of scary waiting for so long after the interview, overall, I was very pleased with the way the process was handled and how courteous everyone was during each stage of the process. The interviewers didn't go off a script or anything, unlike a lot of the other jobs I had interviewed for this year, and seemed genuinely interested in everything I had to say. Red Hat clearly values your personality and is definitely devoted to putting together a diverse and interesting community of employees, regardless of what their position may be.

Interview Questions
    • How much does a 747 weight?   View Answer
    • Let's say you get started on a new project you know nothing about, what are some of the questions you would ask before getting started?   View Answer
    They gave me a pretty awesome starting package, so I wasn't about to complain.

Junior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in September 2014.

2 rounds of Phone Interview followed by a face to face interview round in the Company with a panel of 3 team members.

Questions Asked:
    5. Static - Variable, Method and Class Purpose
    6. Inner Class - Purpose and Example
    7. Multi Threading
    8. Asked to write a basic Java Program - Logic Specific
    9. Asked to draw tables and show the 3rd Normalization and from those tables drawn, was asked to perform sum() with a specific condition

Principal Architect Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Red Hat.

Each group has their own process. There is a round of interviews that usually is 6 or more. There maybe a technical presentation or hands on exercise. It is very technical for technical position. You can not bluff your way into a job

Interview Questions
    • Prepare, present and answer questions on a topic of your choice. There will be someone in the room who probably knows more than you and will push you.   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer, Big Data Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat in June 2014.

The interview process involved a recruiter phone screening, number of behavioral interviews over the phone with team members, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager (iirc). I was told they'd get back to me by a certain date. Then they asked for a two-week extension when they date came. Then they never got back to me. They left me hanging, not knowing how to conduct the rest of my job search. They never even had the decency to let me know I was no longer being considered, despite promising to call me back.

Also, the job was advertised as allowing remote work from anywhere in the U.S., but they declined to advertise that there are 7 states from which they won't normally hire people. So it was irritating to invest the effort into getting an interview without knowing that likely roadblock awaited.

Overall I'm deeply disappointed with Red Hat. They showed a systemic lack of character.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember. Normal stuff like "what's your biggest mistake".   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in May 2014.

I found the job description on local java meetup group. A recruiter post it. Then I got connected with her. She introduced me to the position. Then I had a screen technical interview with her. After a day, she told me I passed it. After that, she told me that she would talk with a software manager and schedule a phone interview.
    I waited for about 10 days before they gave me the call. The interview was very technical. Then the recruiter called me after 3 hrs to tell me I was denied.

Interview Questions
    • thread
      multi thread
      hash map/map/hash table

iterator
      static
      final

pass by reference/value
      private/public/protected/default
      constructor/method/class

linked list and array list
      hash table

final
      abstract class

E-R model

Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Red Hat in May 2014.

Interview was harder than expected for a phone screen. Interviewer asked very technical questions that I was not at all prepared for. The previous phone screen I had was not technical at all.

Interview Questions
    • What is REST and SOAP and explain the difference   View Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat.

Typically up to 3 interviews. Will be asked technical questions regarding design. Typically look for some sort of management experience.

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Red Hat in March 2014.

3 interviews typically, though in my case I was referred to the Director of Talent Acquisition directly, so we skipped 2 of them. Questions about desire, RH knowledge, reason for move, time to relocate, etc. Overall very friendly and positive. The role was a little lower than I had planned but Red Hat offers promotional achievement internally, so I wasn't worried about moving up quickly, which is why I went forward with the role.

Interview Questions
    • How will my experiences carry over to Red Hat as I'm unproven on their particular technology despite supporting it for 3 years...this caught me off guard.   View Answer