Red Hat Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Red Hat in May 2014.

Interview was harder than expected for a phone screen. Interviewer asked very technical questions that I was not at all prepared for. The previous phone screen I had was not technical at all.

Interview Questions
    • What is REST and SOAP and explain the difference   View Answer

IT Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Red Hat in April 2013.

Great contact with the recruiter, good follow up and communication. Met with hiring manager, 3 team members and the IT Director.

Interview Questions
    • IT Director asked me to tell about a time I failed.   View Answer
    • Also, I asked each interviewer about how they viewed the role I was interviewing for   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Red Hat in March 2012.

Phone screen with recruiter, technical phone interview with a Sr. Consultant, and for the final interview, they flew me to NYC for a full day interview that consisted of a two hour long technical interview and hour+ long interviews with two different managers.

They paid for the flight, and told me I had to pay for everything else and that I would be reimbursed for all expenses. I submitted my receipts and they reimbursed me for about 1/3 of the real costs.

Legal Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Red Hat in March 2010.

Interview process is long and challenging. Many questions are behavioral model. Be prepared to explain why you want to work here and to explain your skills based on prior experiences. The process starts with a phone interview by human resources (or "People" as they call it) and then moves to a phone interview with your potential manager. Finally, there is an in-person all-day interview that is among the most challenging I have encountered.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time when you worked as part of a team where there was conflict between the team members and the result was not what you wanted.   Answer Question
    • Who are your heroes and what makes them your heroes?   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Red Hat in December 2011.

Nice people but hard questions. Of course this position is demanding but I didn't expect questions at so high level. They asked me about kernel debugging.

Interview Questions
    • If you faced kernel panic what shoud you do to explain what happened?   View Answers (2)

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Banglor (Indonesia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Banglor (Indonesia)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Red Hat in September 2012.

an easy technical round followed by a coding round prepare well on codes of string matching and pointer type allocation and trees also practice unix and data structures very well.

Senior ETL Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Red Hat in September 2012.

I found the Red Hat interview process to be to-the-point, well organized, and appropriate in terms of questions. The fact that it is such a group-minded environment came through clearly in the interview methods to include a great degree of participation from the peers.

Interview Questions
    • What can you do with a paperclip; name all the things you can think of.   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brno (Czech Republic)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brno (Czech Republic)

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Red Hat in August 2012.

I found an interesting job while attending EuroPython. Red Hat had sent the OpenStack team and a great recruiter to get people working in Brno, Czech Republic.

The interview went in a couple of phases: we started to talk during the conference, exchanged emails with the recruiter days after the meeting and scheduled two interviews, one technical (via Skype, pasting code throught the chat) and a conference call to my potential manager.

Both the interviews went smoothly since I really liked the position and the spirit of the company.

In the end I could not join because personal problems made me stay at home but I will surely reapply in the future.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the different categories of HTTP status codes.   View Answer

I just had been away a year and my family was not ready for me leaving again. But I will reapply as soon as my situation gets more stable.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

The process took a day - interviewed at Red Hat in January 2009.

It starts with a phone screening to discuss some highlights of the resume and get an overall feel for communication and background. Next is the formal interview, it's a 1 day affair. You will meet with 5 to 6 people, each person will focus on an aspect of behavioral interviewing.

Examples:
    Tell me about a time you failed.
    Tell me about a time you were scared but did well.
    Tell me about a time you thought you excelled, but you learned you failed.

There are technical aspects of the interview but they are not stressed. The technical portion is more to see if you are telling the truth on your resume and to gauge if you can learn, there wasn't much heavy grilling, just a light touching to see if you really do know what you said you did.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with your boss and convinced them to follow your suggestions.   View Answer
    Not much room in negotiating. Offer was adequate but this doesn't appear to be the kind of company you go to to make money, it's more about the work experience and environment. Money is just enough, the work environment is awesome.

Financial Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Red Hat in August 2010.

Was contacted by HR, then a 1:1 telephone interview with the hiring manager and then a full day of personal interviews with the hiring Manager, Senior Manager and Finance Directors and Controller.

Interview Questions
    • The usual interview questions. There were some technical questions related to the position I was being interviewed for.   Answer Question
    Not too much room for negotiation. The offer was very competitive with a generous relocation.

Worked for Red Hat? Contribute to the Community!