Red Hat Interview Questions

Updated Mar 31, 2015
Updated Mar 31, 2015

3.1

Legal Counsel Interview

Application

The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in March 2010.

Interview

Interview process is long and challenging. Many questions are behavioral model. Be prepared to explain why you want to work here and to explain your skills based on prior experiences. The process starts with a phone interview by human resources (or "People" as they call it) and then moves to a phone interview with your potential manager. Finally, there is an in-person all-day interview that is among the most challenging I have encountered.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time when you worked as part of a team where there was conflict between the team members and the result was not what you wanted.   Answer Question
    • Who are your heroes and what makes them your heroes?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter, technical phone interview with a Sr. Consultant, and for the final interview, they flew me to NYC for a full day interview that consisted of a two hour long technical interview and hour+ long interviews with two different managers.

They paid for the flight, and told me I had to pay for everything else and that I would be reimbursed for all expenses. I submitted my receipts and they reimbursed me for about 1/3 of the real costs.

IT Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in April 2013.

Interview

Great contact with the recruiter, good follow up and communication. Met with hiring manager, 3 team members and the IT Director.

Interview Questions

• IT Director asked me to tell about a time I failed.   1 Answer
    • Also, I asked each interviewer about how they viewed the role I was interviewing for   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in May 2014.

Interview

Interview was harder than expected for a phone screen. Interviewer asked very technical questions that I was not at all prepared for. The previous phone screen I had was not technical at all.

Interview Questions

• What is REST and SOAP and explain the difference   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat (Raanana (Israel)) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied few time on their web site.
    1. The recruiter called me to confirm my availability, describe the position (I applied for few), appoint me initial phone interview.
    2. The phone interview was technical to the extreme. Questions about: Java language keywords, Java collections, design patterns, thread safety, JEE 3 tier model, database architecture, web architecture. The questions were tricky, but the interviewer was supportive. It was 20 min intense Q&A.
    3. I was invited to onsite technical interview with international team members, using video conference (english spoken). The project was reviewed and I was asked a design question to solve a problem. When I solved the problem they added more complexity. It was simple question slowly evolving to complex server side multi-threaded database solution. It was intense experience the interviewers are sharp and experience engineers.
    4. I was invited to hands-on Java test, with one of the interviewers. The test was about learning existing frizzed code, and extending it with additional functionality. Then it followed with an intense deep dive technical interview into the deep and dark corners of Java. Much deeper then the phone interview. I felt great professional respect to the interviewer, and I felt he respected me too.
    5. Interview with direct manager. Was mostly political and personality interview. Assessing my soft skills for working in open source environment, and top professionals. There were few technical questions about software languages architecture, and multi-threading.
    6. Interview with HR, assess my history, motives, soft skills, desires, career, salary, fitness to open source company.

There were 6 at the finals. I believe the final selection was about personal match to the company and open source development.

Interview Questions

• How to handle rejected code submission to open source project. It was a political question more then technical question.   1 Answer

Negotiation

HR recruiter called to announce I was accepted, verified my expectations. And confirmed with me the details. My initial request was modest and in budget boundaries, there was no negotiation.

Junior Quality Control Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Red Hat (Silver Spring, MD) in April 2013.

Interview

Only made it through the phone interview; my resume didn't indicate a lot of programming experience, but in the call they asked questions as if I had an advanced degree in it, although it was clear I didn't. The job description gave a more relaxed set of standards, but the interview made it seem like they wanted a more advanced person for the position.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in November 2014.

Interview

I met some Red Hat representatives from the Raleigh office at my University's career fair, dropped off a Resume and was contacted about arranging a first round interview. I met with one of the guys on the consulting team and had a time talking about Red Hat's role in the Linux community both in regards to business and charity programs. I was told that the interview would be mostly technical but at no point was I ever drilled with coding questions.

Later on, I was invited to a final round interview in Raleigh which involved a dinner with Red Hat employees from all over the country working in a variety of different departments, as well as a corresponding multi-part interview that occurred the next day at the office. It was clear to me that these interviews were designed to find a good project fit for me as most of the questions centered around personal business interests and opinions of project management and organization (e.g. hinting at what kind of clients would you want to work with).

I was given an offer about 2 weeks later from the recruiter in which I was given multiple location options. While it was kind of scary waiting for so long after the interview, overall, I was very pleased with the way the process was handled and how courteous everyone was during each stage of the process. The interviewers didn't go off a script or anything, unlike a lot of the other jobs I had interviewed for this year, and seemed genuinely interested in everything I had to say. Red Hat clearly values your personality and is definitely devoted to putting together a diverse and interesting community of employees, regardless of what their position may be.

Interview Questions

• How much does a 747 weight?   1 Answer
    • Let's say you get started on a new project you know nothing about, what are some of the questions you would ask before getting started?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They gave me a pretty awesome starting package, so I wasn't about to complain.

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in November 2013.

Interview

2 phone interviews
    1 panel with 2 interviewers - 3 hours talked philosophies and interests, basic admin questions, then had to give a presentation of my choosing 30 min with follow up questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't even negotiate I just said Yes!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Red Hat in October 2014.

Interview

This position was brought to my attention through my staffing agency. They presented the position and I did an initial phone screen. The phone conversation was about 45 minutes long and consisted of mostly technical questions. Very little about personality came into plan during the screening. While there were basic, straight-forward answers, there were quite a few challenging "big picture" questions as well that involved designing project structure as well as database schemas. Having only done the phone screening, it proved to be quite difficult to conduct a relatively in-depth interview over the phone.

Interview Questions

• The difficult piece of the interview was answering business case or design questions that took a minute to think about and would have certainly helped to have a whiteboard or at least been in the room with them.   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Specialist - UK, Bracknell Based Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Bracknell, England (UK)) in April 2014.

Interview

-Once they showed interest, they emailed and 2 weeks went by before I obtained the first response. 2 more weeks went by before we could set up a meeting.
    -After the face to face interview, during I was asked to wait in a tiny room for interviewers (Manager, Talent Acquisition and then his most senior recruiter) to show up during 10-20 minute intervals, at one point waiting by a "lift"; I I was asked to prepare a -"Presentation" detailing my whole strategy and tips i developed during my 10 years of experience, this was necessary to pass on to the "nest stage" as it was going to be presented to the "Director of Talent Acquisition"
    -I delivered a full tailored presentation and there was silence, no response whatsoever after 3 weeks.
    -Now, almost a year after I interviewed for the job, the ad is still up, my impression is they are not really hiring, they are obtaining market data from interviewees!
    -Finally i received a reply asking if I could take a phone call. By that time I decided not to pursue further.

Interview Questions

• Questions were around providing super specific examples of how you would solve very particular "problem scenarios". It felt like they were having these problems themselves at the moment and that they browsing for ideas on how to solve them themselves! rather than actually hiring.   Answer Question