Red Hat

Updated Sep 22, 2014

3.1

Legal Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in March 2010.

Interview process is long and challenging. Many questions are behavioral model. Be prepared to explain why you want to work here and to explain your skills based on prior experiences. The process starts with a phone interview by human resources (or "People" as they call it) and then moves to a phone interview with your potential manager. Finally, there is an in-person all-day interview that is among the most challenging I have encountered.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time when you worked as part of a team where there was conflict between the team members and the result was not what you wanted.   Answer Question
    • Who are your heroes and what makes them your heroes?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat in March 2012.

Phone screen with recruiter, technical phone interview with a Sr. Consultant, and for the final interview, they flew me to NYC for a full day interview that consisted of a two hour long technical interview and hour+ long interviews with two different managers.

They paid for the flight, and told me I had to pay for everything else and that I would be reimbursed for all expenses. I submitted my receipts and they reimbursed me for about 1/3 of the real costs.

IT Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in April 2013.

Great contact with the recruiter, good follow up and communication. Met with hiring manager, 3 team members and the IT Director.

Interview Questions
    • IT Director asked me to tell about a time I failed.   View Answer
    • Also, I asked each interviewer about how they viewed the role I was interviewing for   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Red Hat in May 2014.

Interview was harder than expected for a phone screen. Interviewer asked very technical questions that I was not at all prepared for. The previous phone screen I had was not technical at all.

Interview Questions
    • What is REST and SOAP and explain the difference   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raanana (Israel)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raanana (Israel)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat in November 2014.

I applied few time on their web site.
    1. The recruiter called me to confirm my availability, describe the position (I applied for few), appoint me initial phone interview.
    2. The phone interview was technical to the extreme. Questions about: Java language keywords, Java collections, design patterns, thread safety, JEE 3 tier model, database architecture, web architecture. The questions were tricky, but the interviewer was supportive. It was 20 min intense Q&A.
    3. I was invited to onsite technical interview with international team members on video conference (english spoken). The project was reviewed and I was asked a design question to solve a problem. When I solved the problem they added more complexity. It was simple question slowly evolving to complex server side multi-threaded database solution. It was intense experience the interviewers are sharp and experience engineers.
    4. I was invited to hands-on Java test, with one of the interviewers. The test was about learning existence frizzed code, and extending it with additional functionality. Then it followed with an intense deep dive technical interview into the deep and dark corners of Java. Much deeper then the phone interview. I felt great professional respect to the interviewer, and I felt he respected me too.
    5. Interview with direct manager. Was mostly political and personality interview. Assessing my soft skills for working in open source environment, and top professionals. There were few technical questions about software languages architecture, and multi-threading.
    6. Interview with HR, assess my history, motives, soft skills, desires, career, salary, fitness to open source company.

There were 6 at the finals. I believe the final selection was about personal match to the company and open source development.

Interview Questions
    • How to handle rejected code submission to open source project. It was a political question more then technical question.   View Answer
    HR recruiter called to announce I was accepted, verified my expectations. And confirmed with me the details. My initial request was modest and in budget boundaries, there was no negotiation.

Junior Quality Control Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online – interviewed at Red Hat in April 2013.

Only made it through the phone interview; my resume didn't indicate a lot of programming experience, but in the call they asked questions as if I had an advanced degree in it, although it was clear I didn't. The job description gave a more relaxed set of standards, but the interview made it seem like they wanted a more advanced person for the position.

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in March 2012.

The interview process was very informal. I did a phone screening, and face-to-face, and then a mock presentation. The technical screening (phone) consisted the usual techie questions. The panel interview was a presentation in front of the sales reps.

Interview Questions
    • The sales reps asked very sales-ey questions that i was not familiar with.   Answer Question

Technical Support Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat.

Was interviewed by hiring manager, recruiter, and future peers. Questions were more related to the company pilars: Freedom, Collaboration, etc. Questions about internal processes were asked but there weren't too relevant. The main concern was with the soft skills.

Interview Questions
    • How would I manage a great region in size that represents only 5% of the revenue? How the resource management would look like?   Answer Question
    Not too much negotiable. Company sticks to market related price for salaries. The problem was that the MRP was out-dated.

Principal Architect Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Red Hat.

Each group has their own process. There is a round of interviews that usually is 6 or more. There maybe a technical presentation or hands on exercise. It is very technical for technical position. You can not bluff your way into a job

Interview Questions
    • Prepare, present and answer questions on a topic of your choice. There will be someone in the room who probably knows more than you and will push you.   Answer Question

Channel Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farnborough, London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farnborough, London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat.

Red Hat typically don't use external recruiters: although that is how I came across the role. I had a preliminary one hour interview with the hiring manager. The next step was four one hour interviews with the rest of the Management team in Farnborough. Following this I was offered the role.

Interview Questions
    • Red Hat uses a competency based recruitment process so expect scenario based questions.   Answer Question
    I had the recruiter to help me negotiate.