Red Hat

Updated Feb 28, 2015

3.1

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in February 2014.

Applied online. Was contacted by a recruiter a month later through phone. He asked some basic questions like if I would be able to work full time in the summer. He then scheduled an interview each with two members from from the team. Both the interviews focused on the basics and resume. The interviewers were extremely polite and and were all ears to what I had to say. Few basics of linux were also touched upon.

Did not negotiate.

Product Manager I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat.

2 phone screens (HR and development manager), online present, and then a meet and greet onsite in Westford. The onsite visit was about 4 hours long. Pretty standard questions, not really impressed with the interviewers ~ really didn't answer my questions.

Received offer and was told that I needed to start immediately; this, despite, telling them, several times in fact, that due to my wife's medical condition that I could not relocate for 4 to 6 weeks (I was moving from Canada). 4 weeks after turning offer down, a different recruiter contacted me and said they were willing to wait. I declined again.

Interview Questions
    • Given the nature of the position, I was asked several questions relating to my experience as a "product manager".   Answer Question
    It was reasonable.

Talent Acquisition Specialist - UK, Bracknell Based Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Bracknell, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in April 2014.

-Once they showed interest, they emailed and 2 weeks went by before I obtained the first response. 2 more weeks went by before we could set up a meeting.
    -After the face to face interview, during I was asked to wait in a tiny room for interviewers (Manager, Talent Acquisition and then his most senior recruiter) to show up during 10-20 minute intervals, at one point waiting by a "lift"; I I was asked to prepare a -"Presentation" detailing my whole strategy and tips i developed during my 10 years of experience, this was necessary to pass on to the "nest stage" as it was going to be presented to the "Director of Talent Acquisition"
    -I delivered a full tailored presentation and there was silence, no response whatsoever after 3 weeks.
    -Now, almost a year after I interviewed for the job, the ad is still up, my impression is they are not really hiring, they are obtaining market data from interviewees!
    -Finally i received a reply asking if I could take a phone call. By that time I decided not to pursue further.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were around providing super specific examples of how you would solve very particular "problem scenarios". It felt like they were having these problems themselves at the moment and that they browsing for ideas on how to solve them themselves! rather than actually hiring.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Red Hat in October 2014.

This position was brought to my attention through my staffing agency. They presented the position and I did an initial phone screen. The phone conversation was about 45 minutes long and consisted of mostly technical questions. Very little about personality came into plan during the screening. While there were basic, straight-forward answers, there were quite a few challenging "big picture" questions as well that involved designing project structure as well as database schemas. Having only done the phone screening, it proved to be quite difficult to conduct a relatively in-depth interview over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • The difficult piece of the interview was answering business case or design questions that took a minute to think about and would have certainly helped to have a whiteboard or at least been in the room with them.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in November 2013.

2 phone interviews
    1 panel with 2 interviewers - 3 hours talked philosophies and interests, basic admin questions, then had to give a presentation of my choosing 30 min with follow up questions.

Interview Questions
    I didn't even negotiate I just said Yes!

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat in November 2014.

I met some Red Hat representatives from the Raleigh office at my University's career fair, dropped off a Resume and was contacted about arranging a first round interview. I met with one of the guys on the consulting team and had a time talking about Red Hat's role in the Linux community both in regards to business and charity programs. I was told that the interview would be mostly technical but at no point was I ever drilled with coding questions.

Later on, I was invited to a final round interview in Raleigh which involved a dinner with Red Hat employees from all over the country working in a variety of different departments, as well as a corresponding multi-part interview that occurred the next day at the office. It was clear to me that these interviews were designed to find a good project fit for me as most of the questions centered around personal business interests and opinions of project management and organization (e.g. hinting at what kind of clients would you want to work with).

I was given an offer about 2 weeks later from the recruiter in which I was given multiple location options. While it was kind of scary waiting for so long after the interview, overall, I was very pleased with the way the process was handled and how courteous everyone was during each stage of the process. The interviewers didn't go off a script or anything, unlike a lot of the other jobs I had interviewed for this year, and seemed genuinely interested in everything I had to say. Red Hat clearly values your personality and is definitely devoted to putting together a diverse and interesting community of employees, regardless of what their position may be.

Interview Questions
    • How much does a 747 weight?   View Answer
    • Let's say you get started on a new project you know nothing about, what are some of the questions you would ask before getting started?   View Answer
    They gave me a pretty awesome starting package, so I wasn't about to complain.

Inside Sales Interview

Initial recruiter screening with phone interview. Face to face interviews with two managers and a Sr. Director that allowed deep dive into the actual position. After this we had a role play call.

Interview Questions
    • The role play was unexpected but had a few days to prepare.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in November 2014.

Only a single interview with two of the software engineers. Asked technical questions based on how compilers work as well as behavioural questions to guage my interest in the company. They were very nice and they helped me out when I was struggling. Also very encouraging in terms of urging you to think harder and come up with the correct answer.

Interview Questions
    • If you were to design a compiler what would be the first feature you would build for it.   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat.

First I had e-mail about my application. After I accepted to talk about available opportunities in Red Hat recruiter call me and we talk about some basic stuff, e.g. what do I do and what are my interests and she talk about company and related matters. We continued and arranged my possible job position over a e-mail. After that recruiter arrange me i tech interview. Tech interview was pretty easy, guys were really friendly and helpful all the time. But I kinda blow up cuz I was so nervous. Interview took about an hour.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember anymore, threading, some stuff I didi on my job...   Answer Question

Associate Middleware Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat.

Spoke with a recruiter on campus and followed up by signing up for an on campus interview via the campus job site. It was mostly just get to know the company, see if it was right for you kind of thing. A few days later a recruiter emailed to set up an on campus interview in Raleigh. The first night was a dinner where you got to speak with current Red Hat employees and learn more about the company and culture. The second day they gave us lunch and had 2 1 hour interviews that were not technical at all.