Red Hat

Updated Dec 10, 2014

3.1

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat in November 2014.

I met some Red Hat representatives from the Raleigh office at my University's career fair, dropped off a Resume and was contacted about arranging a first round interview. I met with one of the guys on the consulting team and had a time talking about Red Hat's role in the Linux community both in regards to business and charity programs. I was told that the interview would be mostly technical but at no point was I ever drilled with coding questions.

Later on, I was invited to a final round interview in Raleigh which involved a dinner with Red Hat employees from all over the country working in a variety of different departments, as well as a corresponding multi-part interview that occurred the next day at the office. It was clear to me that these interviews were designed to find a good project fit for me as most of the questions centered around personal business interests and opinions of project management and organization (e.g. hinting at what kind of clients would you want to work with).

I was given an offer about 2 weeks later from the recruiter in which I was given multiple location options. While it was kind of scary waiting for so long after the interview, overall, I was very pleased with the way the process was handled and how courteous everyone was during each stage of the process. The interviewers didn't go off a script or anything, unlike a lot of the other jobs I had interviewed for this year, and seemed genuinely interested in everything I had to say. Red Hat clearly values your personality and is definitely devoted to putting together a diverse and interesting community of employees, regardless of what their position may be.

Interview Questions
    • How much does a 747 weight?   View Answer
    • Let's say you get started on a new project you know nothing about, what are some of the questions you would ask before getting started?   View Answer
    They gave me a pretty awesome starting package, so I wasn't about to complain.

Inside Sales Interview

Initial recruiter screening with phone interview. Face to face interviews with two managers and a Sr. Director that allowed deep dive into the actual position. After this we had a role play call.

Interview Questions
    • The role play was unexpected but had a few days to prepare.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in November 2014.

Only a single interview with two of the software engineers. Asked technical questions based on how compilers work as well as behavioural questions to guage my interest in the company. They were very nice and they helped me out when I was struggling. Also very encouraging in terms of urging you to think harder and come up with the correct answer.

Interview Questions
    • If you were to design a compiler what would be the first feature you would build for it.   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat.

First I had e-mail about my application. After I accepted to talk about available opportunities in Red Hat recruiter call me and we talk about some basic stuff, e.g. what do I do and what are my interests and she talk about company and related matters. We continued and arranged my possible job position over a e-mail. After that recruiter arrange me i tech interview. Tech interview was pretty easy, guys were really friendly and helpful all the time. But I kinda blow up cuz I was so nervous. Interview took about an hour.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember anymore, threading, some stuff I didi on my job...   Answer Question

Associate Middleware Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat.

Spoke with a recruiter on campus and followed up by signing up for an on campus interview via the campus job site. It was mostly just get to know the company, see if it was right for you kind of thing. A few days later a recruiter emailed to set up an on campus interview in Raleigh. The first night was a dinner where you got to speak with current Red Hat employees and learn more about the company and culture. The second day they gave us lunch and had 2 1 hour interviews that were not technical at all.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raanana (Israel)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raanana (Israel)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat in November 2014.

I applied few time on their web site.
    1. The recruiter called me to confirm my availability, describe the position (I applied for few), appoint me initial phone interview.
    2. The phone interview was technical to the extreme. Questions about: Java language keywords, Java collections, design patterns, thread safety, JEE 3 tier model, database architecture, web architecture. The questions were tricky, but the interviewer was supportive. It was 20 min intense Q&A.
    3. I was invited to onsite technical interview with international team members, using video conference (english spoken). The project was reviewed and I was asked a design question to solve a problem. When I solved the problem they added more complexity. It was simple question slowly evolving to complex server side multi-threaded database solution. It was intense experience the interviewers are sharp and experience engineers.
    4. I was invited to hands-on Java test, with one of the interviewers. The test was about learning existing frizzed code, and extending it with additional functionality. Then it followed with an intense deep dive technical interview into the deep and dark corners of Java. Much deeper then the phone interview. I felt great professional respect to the interviewer, and I felt he respected me too.
    5. Interview with direct manager. Was mostly political and personality interview. Assessing my soft skills for working in open source environment, and top professionals. There were few technical questions about software languages architecture, and multi-threading.
    6. Interview with HR, assess my history, motives, soft skills, desires, career, salary, fitness to open source company.

There were 6 at the finals. I believe the final selection was about personal match to the company and open source development.

Interview Questions
    • How to handle rejected code submission to open source project. It was a political question more then technical question.   View Answer
    HR recruiter called to announce I was accepted, verified my expectations. And confirmed with me the details. My initial request was modest and in budget boundaries, there was no negotiation.

Junior Quality Control Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online – interviewed at Red Hat in April 2013.

Only made it through the phone interview; my resume didn't indicate a lot of programming experience, but in the call they asked questions as if I had an advanced degree in it, although it was clear I didn't. The job description gave a more relaxed set of standards, but the interview made it seem like they wanted a more advanced person for the position.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat.

this is confidential. But do the standard questions from job sites helps in preparing for the interview. this is confidential. But do the standard questions from job sites helps in preparing for the interview.

Junior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in September 2014.

2 rounds of Phone Interview followed by a face to face interview round in the Company with a panel of 3 team members.

Questions Asked:
    5. Static - Variable, Method and Class Purpose
    6. Inner Class - Purpose and Example
    7. Multi Threading
    8. Asked to write a basic Java Program - Logic Specific
    9. Asked to draw tables and show the 3rd Normalization and from those tables drawn, was asked to perform sum() with a specific condition

Principal Software Engineer, Big Data Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat in June 2014.

The interview process involved a recruiter phone screening, number of behavioral interviews over the phone with team members, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager (iirc). I was told they'd get back to me by a certain date. Then they asked for a two-week extension when they date came. Then they never got back to me. They left me hanging, not knowing how to conduct the rest of my job search. They never even had the decency to let me know I was no longer being considered, despite promising to call me back.

Also, the job was advertised as allowing remote work from anywhere in the U.S., but they declined to advertise that there are 7 states from which they won't normally hire people. So it was irritating to invest the effort into getting an interview without knowing that likely roadblock awaited.

Overall I'm deeply disappointed with Red Hat. They showed a systemic lack of character.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember. Normal stuff like "what's your biggest mistake".   Answer Question