Red Hat Interview Questions

Updated Mar 31, 2015
Updated Mar 31, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Red Hat (Charlotte, NC) in January 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews, about one hour each.

Neither were especially technical, we discussed the team they were hiring for, the experience and qualities they were looking for, and fairly standard questions for software engineers.

The first interview was with a software engineer on the team. He was friendly and, after looking over my experience, seemed to feel I would be a good fit. After the interview he passed me on to his supervisor.

The second interview was with his supervisor, the team lead. While he repeated many of the same questions as the first interview, the friendly casual air was replaced with that of an interrogation. Many of the questions I asked were taken in the most negative context possible, more than once derailing the interview into the interviewer venting about past team members.

I've heard nothing further about this job, but after the last interview I really didn't want to work with this man so I haven't followed up about it either.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

First, got the pre-screen phone interview, and then set up an onsite interview in the following week.
    HR people are very professional, and the people I met are very nice. The whole process took about 3 hours long. and the behavior questions were very common and basic. You will be fine if you prepare for the technical questions.

Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

My interview with Red Hat was very pleasant. The interviewer was polite, offered me bottled water, and made the conversation flow smoothly. I was also taken on a tour of the office and met a few of the employees in the group I was interviewing for.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a work experience where someone disagreed with you?   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Red Hat (Bangalore (India)) in February 2015.

Interview

2 Rounds of intensive Technical interview. Questions depend on the answers given to the current question.
    The young panel was very knowledgeable and could dig quiet deep into technical details. Requires the candidate to be prepared to go on the white-board and write some real code and also think on the fly to modify its logic. They expect the candidate to solve a problem in more than one way.

Middleware Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Atlanta, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

If I had to attribute one word to this interview process it would be: concise. They were extremely quick with their communications, and helpful with any questions I had. Hands down this was the most pleasant interview experience I've had. The whole process consisted of a phone call with an HR representative within Red Hat, a challenging technical interview over the phone, then an in person meeting with the person who would be my People Manager. Overall an extremely pleasant experience. Yours may not go the same way, in terms of speed, but I can promise it will be pleasant.

Interview Questions

• The person leading the technical interview told me I had 5 minutes to explain anything technical of my choosing in as much detail as possible.   1 Answer

Performance Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

I had applied online through their company's career page for a summer internship position. About 2-3 weeks later, I received a phone call from the head of the Performance Engineering Team stating that they wanted me to meet with the team (which consisted of about 5 engineers in total). Later that week, I received a mail from their HR scheduling my interview.

Interview Questions

• The interview was mostly a behaviorial. They just wanted to see if I had any experience in the work they were doing - performance profiling. The team was extremely friendly and asked me a lot about my projects and my previous work ex. Unfortunately, they were looking for someone with a stronger Python skills and more experience with performance optimization than what I had had, and therefore didn't get the offer. They relayed the message to through a phone call, which was rather surprising since most rejections are done through mail. However, the entire experience was extremely smooth.   Answer Question

PR Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Contacted by their HR for the role. Went for many rounds of interviews and all seemed OK. After going through so many rounds, there was no closure. Followed up with emails to check on the hiring status but no reply from HR nor hiring manager. It is ok if I didn't get the job but please have the courtesy to reply and inform the candidate your hiring decision.

Interview Questions

• nothing difficult. just asking basic questions on what your experiences were and how much you know the company.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted by a recruiter a month later through phone. He asked some basic questions like if I would be able to work full time in the summer. He then scheduled an interview each with two members from from the team. Both the interviews focused on the basics and resume. The interviewers were extremely polite and and were all ears to what I had to say. Few basics of linux were also touched upon.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not negotiate.

Product Manager I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Westford, MA).

Interview

2 phone screens (HR and development manager), online present, and then a meet and greet onsite in Westford. The onsite visit was about 4 hours long. Pretty standard questions, not really impressed with the interviewers ~ really didn't answer my questions.

Received offer and was told that I needed to start immediately; this, despite, telling them, several times in fact, that due to my wife's medical condition that I could not relocate for 4 to 6 weeks (I was moving from Canada). 4 weeks after turning offer down, a different recruiter contacted me and said they were willing to wait. I declined again.

Interview Questions

• Given the nature of the position, I was asked several questions relating to my experience as a "product manager".   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was reasonable.

Talent Acquisition Specialist - UK, Bracknell Based Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Bracknell, England (UK)) in April 2014.

Interview

-Once they showed interest, they emailed and 2 weeks went by before I obtained the first response. 2 more weeks went by before we could set up a meeting.
    -After the face to face interview, during I was asked to wait in a tiny room for interviewers (Manager, Talent Acquisition and then his most senior recruiter) to show up during 10-20 minute intervals, at one point waiting by a "lift"; I I was asked to prepare a -"Presentation" detailing my whole strategy and tips i developed during my 10 years of experience, this was necessary to pass on to the "nest stage" as it was going to be presented to the "Director of Talent Acquisition"
    -I delivered a full tailored presentation and there was silence, no response whatsoever after 3 weeks.
    -Now, almost a year after I interviewed for the job, the ad is still up, my impression is they are not really hiring, they are obtaining market data from interviewees!
    -Finally i received a reply asking if I could take a phone call. By that time I decided not to pursue further.

Interview Questions

• Questions were around providing super specific examples of how you would solve very particular "problem scenarios". It felt like they were having these problems themselves at the moment and that they browsing for ideas on how to solve them themselves! rather than actually hiring.   Answer Question