Red Hat

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern
Raleigh, NC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Red Hat in January 2013.

Interview Details – I received a call from an internal recruiter. Then she set up an interview for me with a hiring manager.

Interview Question – Mostly behavioral questions such as what are your weaknesses and strengths and tell me a time you were successful   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Development Representative Interview

Sales Development Representative
Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Red Hat in December 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume and I was contacted 6 hours later by a recruiter. She was very nice and quickly setup a time to chat with me.

Her initial conversation gave me a good detail overview of how the training would be. The role of an SDR, and what an SDR would do. I also liked how she talked about salary up front: 40k base and 60k incentive. I.e. if you hit your quota, you should be able to make a decent amount of money.

In addition, the role would be 6-9 months then we would have training again to move up to inside sales rep.

Following up, I was setup to talk to another sales hiring manager who gave me more details of the process. This was unfortunately followed with some delay in because it was towards Christmas. Heard back two weeks into the New Year to continue interview process.

**Note I may still continue interview process, but putting it on hold for personal reasons.

Interview Question – Could you tell me a bit about one of Red Hat's products you like?   View Answer

Helpdesk Interview

Helpdesk
Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview Details – Skype Interview. Not run on technical expertise but mostly personality.

Interview Question – How would you deal with irrate clients.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview Details – Usually you need to have a interview only one time. The interview is a kind of casual and you don't need to wear suites. Usually interviewer don't care about formality.

Interview Question – Not in particular.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Red Hat in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was surprised that the interview process was not as professional as I expected. All of the engineers and managers I dealt with were fine, but I had to email the HR representative multiple times to get feedback.

Interview Question – The most UNEXPECTED question was, "So... tell me what design patterns you have used. Just name some."   Answer Question

Tech Support Engineer Interview

Tech Support Engineer
Westford, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Red Hat in May 2012.

Interview Details – I applied directly through Red Hat's website and didn't expect to hear back at all. But I did! Yay! And keep in mind, I applied for an entry level job. I internally was moved into my current position as tech support engineer, but I was originally hired for something that was very foot-in-the-door.

To give a very high level overview of the process: I followed up with them directly to see if they had reviewed my resume. They in turn followed up by setting up a phone screen with someone that I'd work with in the specific group the job opening was for. After the phone screen they asked to set up an in person interview. Once the interview was done, they decided to offer me a job. They in turn redirected me through a recruiter who handled the hiring and negotiation process from then on out.

This is the only complaint I have. I wished I would have known that I would be dealing with a hiring/placement agency. Would it have changed anything? Nah. It just would have been nice to know.

Having said that, I think only certain positions go through agencies. RH definitely has their only internal recruiters and of course they have HR as well to handle all the hiring goodness. I don't know where the distinction falls.

Anywaysssssssssssssssss, back to the process. On the interview day, I interviewed with 3 people. Each person was assigned to ask questions about RH values. So interspersed with some typical interview questions, each person asked questions to try and determine if you fit RH values. I'd say there was probably equal emphasis placed on RH values and experience. It's been a bit, but I think examples of values are: honesty, ability to work openly, taking responsibility, courage, commitment, etc.

The whole process took about a week. That's from when I started bugging them on FB and through their "status check of application" function which was a feature on their careers page on their website (I don't know if they still have that or not) to getting the job offer.

The phone screen took about 15 - 30mins? I believe they wanted to set up an in person interview within the same day of the phone screen. Then the interview took about 3 hours or so. They had offered me a job by the next day IIRC. Since I was redirected through a placement agency, salary negotiation didn't seem like it was something that could be done. However, after my contractor term expired and RH offered me the job, I was able to negotiate some.

Interview Question – Not too technical of an interview. They were mostly looking for personality fit. someone with passion, a bit of tech skills, aptitude for all things linux/computer related.

However, this was an entry level job. Other jobs certainly have much more difficult and relevant interviews.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was N/A but mostly bc I was brought on as a contractor through an agency. See my above ramblings

Technical Account Manager Interview

Technical Account Manager

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview Details – Initial phone screen was with Red Hat recruiter who asked me some questions about my resume. A second phone interview was with the hiring manager to discuss the requirements and my work experience. The hiring manager thought I'd be a good candidate and arranged an in person interview with his colleagues and the Director in Raliegh, NC. The in-person interview in Raleigh with 3 Regional Technical Account managers gave me the opportunity to find out about the job and ask questions about the company. A teleconference technical interview with a Technical Account Manager asked standard UNIX interview questions. Afterward a lunch interview and office interview with the Director. The in person interview took about 4 hours.

Interview Questions

• What new product/trend would make Red Hat beat out their competition and keep the company moving in to the future?   View Answer
  • What steps do you take to troubleshoot a network connectivity issue?   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview Details – The best way to get a job with Red Hat is to join an open source project that Red Hat is running. They will accept most volunteers. After you prove that you can do the work you have 2 options. Wait for a position to come open and they will ask you if you want a job. OR you can go online and apply for open positions. Depending on how much time and effort you put in the open source project determines the interview difficulty.

Interview Question – I was asked to do a code walk through of an entire project that I wrote on and hosted on github.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The position only had a certain amount of funding that year, it was just below what I was asking but it was worth it.

Manager Interview

Manager
Raleigh, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Red Hat in January 2013.

Interview Details – Very efficient process. Behavioral interviewing approach.

Interview Question – What does a good work day look like for you?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview Details – Had one phone interview and one F2F interview.

Interview Question – I was peppered with detailed API and SQL questions. Then I was asked how I would deal or solve some hypothetical scenario regarding database transaction. It was not a well thought out question and had difficulty understanding his English and his train of thought. Its possible he was asking for a solution he was currently dealing with.   Answer Question