Red Hat

Updated Feb 25, 2015

3.1

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in January 2013.

Very efficient process. Behavioral interviewing approach.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in January 2013.

I received a call from an internal recruiter. Then she set up an interview for me with a hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral questions such as what are your weaknesses and strengths and tell me a time you were successful   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat.

Beginnig of process was very positive. Recruiter was exeptionally knowledgable and accomodating. On site interview process got a bit strange. While it is common place to interview with many cross-funtional team members, I have never been interviewed by my subordinates! Meet/greet is fine, but having them conduct interviews places the would-be manager at a great disatvantage to buikd the relationships.

User Experience/UI Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat.

A friend referred me. I sent him my résumé and cover letter, and he gave it to the hiring manager. Within a few days, I received an email from a Sr. Recruiter asking me to fill out their application, and a questionnaire. After a day or two, I got a call from the hiring manager. We talked about why I wanted to come to Red Hat, my current position, why I was leaving, and some other off-topic, shooting the breeze type stuff. As the manager informed me, the phone call was followed up with an email from the Sr. Recruiter to schedule a formal interview. Once set, I received more information about where to go, how to get here, etc. I showed up, dressed in a suit (although I probably would have been fine with a simple shirt & tie), and met first with the Sr. Recruiter who walked me to the conference room where the interview would take place. He talked with me for about 10 minutes, explaining the process, making sure I was comfortable, etc. I interviewed with 4 different people individually. Some of whom where remote--so I had to dial into an conference call (instructions were given on how to dial-in). Each interview lasted about 45 min. Afterwards, I got a brief tour from my friend and met some of the people on the team. A week later I received a call from the manager, discussing their interest and offer to come.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when a project you were working on hit a road block, or didn't go as planned. What did you do? How did you handle the situation? How did the project turn out?"   Answer Question
    I received an email from the same Sr. Recruiter with a document containing their formal offer, with a due date for acceptance. I countered, they met me part way. I accepted. It lasted about 3-4 days total. Then I received an on-boarding package in the mail, with all the necessary paperwork, a culture video, and some propaganda (Red Hat sticker, USB drive, etc.).

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat in September 2012.

Started out bad from the beginning. Lady was 30 minutes late and that ran the whole interview late. I had to be back at my other job and that was made clear before going in. They said no problem they could accommodate. That certainly was not the case. i was called back and asked for second interview.. I said sure no Problem.. Same thing happened.. I was called back again and declined. People seemed to have chip on shoulder also..

Interview Questions
    • If you had a elephant what would you do with it...   View Answer

Senior ETL Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Red Hat in September 2012.

I found the Red Hat interview process to be to-the-point, well organized, and appropriate in terms of questions. The fact that it is such a group-minded environment came through clearly in the interview methods to include a great degree of participation from the peers.

Interview Questions
    • What can you do with a paperclip; name all the things you can think of.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Red Hat in August 2012.

Phone interview; 1:1.

Interview Questions
    • Wanted me to indicate that I could become an "expert" in something within 2 weeks prior to starting a job.   View Answer

Tech Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Red Hat in May 2012.

I applied directly through Red Hat's website and didn't expect to hear back at all. But I did! Yay! And keep in mind, I applied for an entry level job. I internally was moved into my current position as tech support engineer, but I was originally hired for something that was very foot-in-the-door.

To give a very high level overview of the process: I followed up with them directly to see if they had reviewed my resume. They in turn followed up by setting up a phone screen with someone that I'd work with in the specific group the job opening was for. After the phone screen they asked to set up an in person interview. Once the interview was done, they decided to offer me a job. They in turn redirected me through a recruiter who handled the hiring and negotiation process from then on out.

This is the only complaint I have. I wished I would have known that I would be dealing with a hiring/placement agency. Would it have changed anything? Nah. It just would have been nice to know.

Having said that, I think only certain positions go through agencies. RH definitely has their only internal recruiters and of course they have HR as well to handle all the hiring goodness. I don't know where the distinction falls.

Anywaysssssssssssssssss, back to the process. On the interview day, I interviewed with 3 people. Each person was assigned to ask questions about RH values. So interspersed with some typical interview questions, each person asked questions to try and determine if you fit RH values. I'd say there was probably equal emphasis placed on RH values and experience. It's been a bit, but I think examples of values are: honesty, ability to work openly, taking responsibility, courage, commitment, etc.

The whole process took about a week. That's from when I started bugging them on FB and through their "status check of application" function which was a feature on their careers page on their website (I don't know if they still have that or not) to getting the job offer.

The phone screen took about 15 - 30mins? I believe they wanted to set up an in person interview within the same day of the phone screen. Then the interview took about 3 hours or so. They had offered me a job by the next day IIRC. Since I was redirected through a placement agency, salary negotiation didn't seem like it was something that could be done. However, after my contractor term expired and RH offered me the job, I was able to negotiate some.

Interview Questions
    • Not too technical of an interview. They were mostly looking for personality fit. someone with passion, a bit of tech skills, aptitude for all things linux/computer related.

However, this was an entry level job. Other jobs certainly have much more difficult and relevant interviews.

Answer Question
    It was N/A but mostly bc I was brought on as a contractor through an agency. See my above ramblings

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in May 2012.

I applied through LinkedIn and got an email back from the recruiter asking me to write a page up as to why I think I would be good for this role. After that I got a call from the recruiter in couple of days to schedule a telephonic round of interview with the hiring manager. The interview went on well and the hiring manager asked me to go through the links for the product and come up with a live demo for the face to face interview round. I had two face to face interview round with the manager and the director which went well and was offered which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Red Hat being an open source provider they are looking for new ideas to make their product integration and usage more customer friendly.   Answer Question
    It is negotiable to an extent.

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in May 2012.

Contacted via Linked In and had a very nice recruiter. I did 2 phone screens then came in for an in person interview in the Mountain View office. 3 person panel interview with a presentation. Both technical and sales oriented questions. I felt the interview was conducted professionally and well organized.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was how I would sell and integrate one of the Red Hat products that I did not have any experience with. I had some time to research it before answering.   Answer Question
    The offer was above my expectations.