Red Hat Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

3.1

Junior Quality Control Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Red Hat (Silver Spring, MD) in April 2013.

Interview

Only made it through the phone interview; my resume didn't indicate a lot of programming experience, but in the call they asked questions as if I had an advanced degree in it, although it was clear I didn't. The job description gave a more relaxed set of standards, but the interview made it seem like they wanted a more advanced person for the position.

IT Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in April 2013.

Interview

Great contact with the recruiter, good follow up and communication. Met with hiring manager, 3 team members and the IT Director.

Interview Questions

• IT Director asked me to tell about a time I failed.   1 Answer
    • Also, I asked each interviewer about how they viewed the role I was interviewing for   1 Answer

Interview

Was contacted directly via linked in. I submitted my CV and got a phone call in about 1 week from the hhrr gatekeeper.

Interview Questions

• describe a situation where you managed to combine different departments in your company   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in March 2013.

Interview

I applied the position on LinkedIn, and got the phone screen email after 3 days, which is pretty fast. The interview went quite smoothly. As my experience and background quite match the team, I thought I could got the position when I hang off the phone. Questions are all related to my project, and there were some behavioral questions as well.

Interview Questions

• Talk about the details of your projects (the algorithm, the process, the results, drawbacks). How did your team function (divide the work)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Platform Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

A friend who worked at the company convinced me I should as well. Gave him my resume, he routed to his boss and ultimately an internal recruiter. Initial phone screens were positive, passed the technical phone interview with good reviews. Scheduling a face-to-face interview with a manager took a few weeks. That interview went well, and I was told by the recruiter that I was a good fit, and they wanted me, but had internal logistical issues to work out before they could give me an offer. After more than a week I was told they would like to hire me, but did not have a client contract that would support my travel expenses. I offered to relocate myself NYC (at no cost to RH), and never had any follow-up after that. Recruiter stopped returning phone calls. My friend who works at RH will no longer refer anyone to them. If I was not a good fit or was technically deficient, I would have accepted that and moved on more quickly.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview is looking for you to answer questions with Red Hat's technology in mind, not just standard Unix answers.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat in February 2013.

Interview

The interview process at Red Hat is as tough as it is at any other mid-size tech company that is not just looking for warm bodies. You have to prove that you have the skills and know what you are talking about.

Interview Questions

• How would you work to recover a failing project?   1 Answer

Sales Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in February 2013.

Interview

I went to a career fair and met the internship program coordinator. They called me about an internship, and I said I was only interested in full-time. Interviews were a series of telephone and Skype interviews with ~5 people, and extra calls and time spent with my 2 direct supervisors. It was clear I needed to know Excel. Much of the interview focused on Excel competence, and various ways I'd used Excel in past challenges.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall the specifics, but it was a question about have you ever found yourself in a specific situation, and how did you solve the problem. I answered a very similar situation, and the main interviewer said, No, I was asking about SPECIFIC SITUATION.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Research glassdoor, salary.com, the NACE calculator, or other online calculators and databases, and find the appropriate salary for your role. Just by asking, you'll almost always get at least 10% more. The way you ask is important. State that fair compensation for (role) in (city), based on your research on glassdoor, salary.com, etc is $X. I'm sure we can work together toward a fair compensation package for me.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

Beginnig of process was very positive. Recruiter was exeptionally knowledgable and accomodating. On site interview process got a bit strange. While it is common place to interview with many cross-funtional team members, I have never been interviewed by my subordinates! Meet/greet is fine, but having them conduct interviews places the would-be manager at a great disatvantage to buikd the relationships.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in January 2013.

Interview

Very efficient process. Behavioral interviewing approach.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in January 2013.

Interview

I received a call from an internal recruiter. Then she set up an interview for me with a hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral questions such as what are your weaknesses and strengths and tell me a time you were successful   Answer Question