Red Hat Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.1

Interview

Was contacted directly via linked in. I submitted my CV and got a phone call in about 1 week from the hhrr gatekeeper.

Interview Questions

• describe a situation where you managed to combine different departments in your company   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in March 2013.

Interview

I applied the position on LinkedIn, and got the phone screen email after 3 days, which is pretty fast. The interview went quite smoothly. As my experience and background quite match the team, I thought I could got the position when I hang off the phone. Questions are all related to my project, and there were some behavioral questions as well.

Interview Questions

• Talk about the details of your projects (the algorithm, the process, the results, drawbacks). How did your team function (divide the work)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Platform Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

A friend who worked at the company convinced me I should as well. Gave him my resume, he routed to his boss and ultimately an internal recruiter. Initial phone screens were positive, passed the technical phone interview with good reviews. Scheduling a face-to-face interview with a manager took a few weeks. That interview went well, and I was told by the recruiter that I was a good fit, and they wanted me, but had internal logistical issues to work out before they could give me an offer. After more than a week I was told they would like to hire me, but did not have a client contract that would support my travel expenses. I offered to relocate myself NYC (at no cost to RH), and never had any follow-up after that. Recruiter stopped returning phone calls. My friend who works at RH will no longer refer anyone to them. If I was not a good fit or was technically deficient, I would have accepted that and moved on more quickly.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview is looking for you to answer questions with Red Hat's technology in mind, not just standard Unix answers.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat in February 2013.

Interview

The interview process at Red Hat is as tough as it is at any other mid-size tech company that is not just looking for warm bodies. You have to prove that you have the skills and know what you are talking about.

Interview Questions

• How would you work to recover a failing project?   1 Answer

Sales Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in February 2013.

Interview

I went to a career fair and met the internship program coordinator. They called me about an internship, and I said I was only interested in full-time. Interviews were a series of telephone and Skype interviews with ~5 people, and extra calls and time spent with my 2 direct supervisors. It was clear I needed to know Excel. Much of the interview focused on Excel competence, and various ways I'd used Excel in past challenges.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall the specifics, but it was a question about have you ever found yourself in a specific situation, and how did you solve the problem. I answered a very similar situation, and the main interviewer said, No, I was asking about SPECIFIC SITUATION.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Research glassdoor, salary.com, the NACE calculator, or other online calculators and databases, and find the appropriate salary for your role. Just by asking, you'll almost always get at least 10% more. The way you ask is important. State that fair compensation for (role) in (city), based on your research on glassdoor, salary.com, etc is $X. I'm sure we can work together toward a fair compensation package for me.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in January 2013.

Interview

Very efficient process. Behavioral interviewing approach.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in January 2013.

Interview

I received a call from an internal recruiter. Then she set up an interview for me with a hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral questions such as what are your weaknesses and strengths and tell me a time you were successful   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

Beginnig of process was very positive. Recruiter was exeptionally knowledgable and accomodating. On site interview process got a bit strange. While it is common place to interview with many cross-funtional team members, I have never been interviewed by my subordinates! Meet/greet is fine, but having them conduct interviews places the would-be manager at a great disatvantage to buikd the relationships.

User Experience/UI Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

A friend referred me. I sent him my résumé and cover letter, and he gave it to the hiring manager. Within a few days, I received an email from a Sr. Recruiter asking me to fill out their application, and a questionnaire. After a day or two, I got a call from the hiring manager. We talked about why I wanted to come to Red Hat, my current position, why I was leaving, and some other off-topic, shooting the breeze type stuff. As the manager informed me, the phone call was followed up with an email from the Sr. Recruiter to schedule a formal interview. Once set, I received more information about where to go, how to get here, etc. I showed up, dressed in a suit (although I probably would have been fine with a simple shirt & tie), and met first with the Sr. Recruiter who walked me to the conference room where the interview would take place. He talked with me for about 10 minutes, explaining the process, making sure I was comfortable, etc. I interviewed with 4 different people individually. Some of whom where remote--so I had to dial into an conference call (instructions were given on how to dial-in). Each interview lasted about 45 min. Afterwards, I got a brief tour from my friend and met some of the people on the team. A week later I received a call from the manager, discussing their interest and offer to come.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when a project you were working on hit a road block, or didn't go as planned. What did you do? How did you handle the situation? How did the project turn out?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I received an email from the same Sr. Recruiter with a document containing their formal offer, with a due date for acceptance. I countered, they met me part way. I accepted. It lasted about 3-4 days total. Then I received an on-boarding package in the mail, with all the necessary paperwork, a culture video, and some propaganda (Red Hat sticker, USB drive, etc.).

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat (Research Triangle Park, NC) in September 2012.

Interview

Started out bad from the beginning. Lady was 30 minutes late and that ran the whole interview late. I had to be back at my other job and that was made clear before going in. They said no problem they could accommodate. That certainly was not the case. i was called back and asked for second interview.. I said sure no Problem.. Same thing happened.. I was called back again and declined. People seemed to have chip on shoulder also..

Interview Questions

• If you had a elephant what would you do with it...   1 Answer