Red Hat

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Red Hat in May 2014.

Interview Details – Interview was harder than expected for a phone screen. Interviewer asked very technical questions that I was not at all prepared for. The previous phone screen I had was not technical at all.

Interview Question – What is REST and SOAP and explain the difference   View Answer

Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview Details – The best way to get a job with Red Hat is to join an open source project that Red Hat is running. They will accept most volunteers. After you prove that you can do the work you have 2 options. Wait for a position to come open and they will ask you if you want a job. OR you can go online and apply for open positions. Depending on how much time and effort you put in the open source project determines the interview difficulty.

Interview Question – I was asked to do a code walk through of an entire project that I wrote on and hosted on github.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The position only had a certain amount of funding that year, it was just below what I was asking but it was worth it.

Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview Details – Had one phone interview and one F2F interview.

Interview Question – I was peppered with detailed API and SQL questions. Then I was asked how I would deal or solve some hypothetical scenario regarding database transaction. It was not a well thought out question and had difficulty understanding his English and his train of thought. Its possible he was asking for a solution he was currently dealing with.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Westfield, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Red Hat in August 2011.

Interview Details – Repeat hires have an informal interview process

Negotiation Details – I got 3k less than what I asked for after 2 phases of negotiation and rejection of one role prior.

Munich (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Hat in March 2013.

Interview Details – After a very prompt email from HR, a 30 min. screening call and then a technical interview with the hiring manager.

I was disappointed because the reason they gave for not hiring me sounded really lame, they claimed I lacked experience in a skill that is never mentioned in the job description, not even as nice to have or optional.

Interview Question – What's the difference between GPL and GPL 2.0?   View Answer

Worked for Red Hat? Contribute to the Community!