Red Hat

Updated Nov 25, 2014

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westfield, MA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westfield, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in August 2011.

Repeat hires have an informal interview process

I got 3k less than what I asked for after 2 phases of negotiation and rejection of one role prior.

Other Interview Reviews for Red Hat

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat.

Had one phone interview and one F2F interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was peppered with detailed API and SQL questions. Then I was asked how I would deal or solve some hypothetical scenario regarding database transaction. It was not a well thought out question and had difficulty understanding his English and his train of thought. Its possible he was asking for a solution he was currently dealing with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat.

The best way to get a job with Red Hat is to join an open source project that Red Hat is running. They will accept most volunteers. After you prove that you can do the work you have 2 options. Wait for a position to come open and they will ask you if you want a job. OR you can go online and apply for open positions. Depending on how much time and effort you put in the open source project determines the interview difficulty.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to do a code walk through of an entire project that I wrote on and hosted on github.   View Answer
    The position only had a certain amount of funding that year, it was just below what I was asking but it was worth it.

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Red Hat in May 2014.

Interview was harder than expected for a phone screen. Interviewer asked very technical questions that I was not at all prepared for. The previous phone screen I had was not technical at all.

Interview Questions
    • What is REST and SOAP and explain the difference   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raanana (Israel)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raanana (Israel)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat in November 2014.

I applied few time on their web site.
    1. The recruiter called me to confirm my availability, describe the position (I applied for few), appoint me initial phone interview.
    2. The phone interview was technical to the extreme. Questions about: Java language keywords, Java collections, design patterns, thread safety, JEE 3 tier model, database architecture, web architecture. The questions were tricky, but the interviewer was supportive. It was 20 min intense Q&A.
    3. I was invited to onsite technical interview with international team members, using video conference (english spoken). The project was reviewed and I was asked a design question to solve a problem. When I solved the problem they added more complexity. It was simple question slowly evolving to complex server side multi-threaded database solution. It was intense experience the interviewers are sharp and experience engineers.
    4. I was invited to hands-on Java test, with one of the interviewers. The test was about learning existing frizzed code, and extending it with additional functionality. Then it followed with an intense deep dive technical interview into the deep and dark corners of Java. Much deeper then the phone interview. I felt great professional respect to the interviewer, and I felt he respected me too.
    5. Interview with direct manager. Was mostly political and personality interview. Assessing my soft skills for working in open source environment, and top professionals. There were few technical questions about software languages architecture, and multi-threading.
    6. Interview with HR, assess my history, motives, soft skills, desires, career, salary, fitness to open source company.

There were 6 at the finals. I believe the final selection was about personal match to the company and open source development.

Interview Questions
    • How to handle rejected code submission to open source project. It was a political question more then technical question.   View Answer
    HR recruiter called to announce I was accepted, verified my expectations. And confirmed with me the details. My initial request was modest and in budget boundaries, there was no negotiation.