Red Hat Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 12, 2015

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Red Hat in April 2007.

Interview

The process is long and tough

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Red Hat

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Red Hat in October 2014.

Interview

This position was brought to my attention through my staffing agency. They presented the position and I did an initial phone screen. The phone conversation was about 45 minutes long and consisted of mostly technical questions. Very little about personality came into plan during the screening. While there were basic, straight-forward answers, there were quite a few challenging "big picture" questions as well that involved designing project structure as well as database schemas. Having only done the phone screening, it proved to be quite difficult to conduct a relatively in-depth interview over the phone.

Interview Questions

• The difficult piece of the interview was answering business case or design questions that took a minute to think about and would have certainly helped to have a whiteboard or at least been in the room with them.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brno (Czech Republic)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat (Brno (Czech Republic)) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied to the job via their jobs site. I got an email in about two weeks and set up a phone interview with a recruiter. Once we spoke, he said a hiring manager will be in touch with me by the end of the week. Two months and a few reminders (which he suggested I should send periodically) later, I got a copy-pasted response that the position had been filled. It's pretty disappointing that I did not even get a technical interview.

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in May 2014.

Interview

I found the job description on local java meetup group. A recruiter post it. Then I got connected with her. She introduced me to the position. Then I had a screen technical interview with her. After a day, she told me I passed it. After that, she told me that she would talk with a software manager and schedule a phone interview.
    I waited for about 10 days before they gave me the call. The interview was very technical. Then the recruiter called me after 3 hrs to tell me I was denied.

Interview Questions

• thread
      multi thread
      hash map/map/hash table

iterator
      static
      final

pass by reference/value
      private/public/protected/default
      constructor/method/class

linked list and array list
      hash table

final
      abstract class

E-R model

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

First I had e-mail about my application. After I accepted to talk about available opportunities in Red Hat recruiter call me and we talk about some basic stuff, e.g. what do I do and what are my interests and she talk about company and related matters. We continued and arranged my possible job position over a e-mail. After that recruiter arrange me i tech interview. Tech interview was pretty easy, guys were really friendly and helpful all the time. But I kinda blow up cuz I was so nervous. Interview took about an hour.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember anymore, threading, some stuff I didi on my job...   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Whole process was pretty smooth and has been handled pretty well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat (Remote, OR) in August 2009.

Interview

Initially contacted by recruiter, then manager. Talked with manager several times before moving forward with an individual screening, then a team interview. Lots of questions about what I do and what I've done and just an overall feel for how I might potentially fit into the team. Seemed like - and still seems like a good fit.

Interview Questions

• I got quizzed on a few python intricacies but I can't recall them anymore since that was over 2 years ago.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't really any negotiation. I think Red Hat thinks that they have really great compensation because it was kind of take it or leave it. I still wish I tried harder.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat in November 2011.

Interview

It took a while. First of all, I submited my resume using web form on redhat.com page. I had no response from HR or anything. I was waiting indefinitely. Only contract with team members I wanted to work with keept my hope.

I had few interviews with team leader and second team member. Then I've got short talk with my manager.

The most unexpected part was the contract with recruiter. I was accepted by team members and manager in November. The recruiter come back to me in February. So after more than three months HR team was able to proceed whole process.

After negotiations things went smoothly, but waiting was a nightmare.

Interview Questions

• Since I was recommended by other person I had no tests. Questions was more about overall experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Since I was accepted to be an contractor only one thing I was able to negotiate was salary. The strange thing is that salary is negotiated in local currency but payment was made in foreign currency.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Thiruvananthapuram (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Red Hat (Thiruvananthapuram (India)) in July 2013.

Interview

The first round contained aptitude and programming questions based on C .From it , half of the candidates were eliminated . It was followed by two technical interviews in which they mostly ask questions on your project(very important) ,data structures , operating systems and on your choice of programming language (c/java) . The HR round is just for formality and they give you the offer

Interview Questions

• You are given a binary tree as input , find whether the tree is a BST or not .   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Red Hat in July 2011.

Interview

The entire process was very easy and friendly. Red Hat puts quite a bit of weight into employee referrals. My initial contacts were with the same person in HR who was very responsive over email and phone. Since I don't live near the main headquarters, I was able to do all of my interviews over the phone. One of which, I went into one of their sales offices to use a conference room. I had 3 or 4 interviews with engineers and direct managers on the team (nobody from HR). They asked a few stock scenario type questions ("Tell me about a time you ..."). Then the rest of the time was technical discussions (didn't really feel like an interview, just like chatting over coffee). The interviewers had obviously read my resume and dug into some projects and were curious about details.

Interview Questions

• Describe how SSH private key authentication works   1 Answer

Negotiation

They were pretty set on the salary for the position, which was slightly lower than I was hoping for, but more than my previous salary, so I didn't have much room for negotiation. The stock bonus was very generous. The ability to work fully remotely was not even the slightest problem despite the fact that the job posting was technically for an on-site position at one of their engineering offices.