Red Hat Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 12, 2015

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter to fill out a questionnaire. Recruiter told me that I was a great fit, but requested compensation didn't match the range for the position. So I said that I was willing to be flexible, and then the recruiter told me that they would get back to me soon. After some time I called the recruiter, who then proceeded to put me on hold. After about 20 minutes of being on hold, I was disconnected and not called back. After 2 more days I emailed the recruiter, who replied and let me know that they would talk to the hiring manager and get back to me within a day. 3 business days passed with no response from the recruiter. I then called the recruiter who told me that the hiring manager wasn't interested because of my requested salary range (despite expressing desire to be flexible). So all in all 2-3 weeks of back and forth with a recruiter, and not one conversation with a hiring manager. It is clear that Red Hat is interested in hiring cheap, rather than highly qualified individuals. If you are even marginally skilled, I would avoid applying here. The recruiter I spoke to was nice, and despite hanging up on me, and not being proactive about responding.

Interview Questions

• We think you should be paid way less then you currently make, are you willing to be flexible?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Red Hat

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Red Hat (Charlotte, NC) in January 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews, about one hour each. Neither were especially technical, we discussed the team they were hiring for, the experience and qualities they were looking for, and fairly standard questions for software engineers. The first interview was with a software engineer on the team. He was friendly and, after looking over my experience, seemed to feel I would be a good fit. After the interview he passed me on to his supervisor. The second interview was with his supervisor, the team lead. While he repeated many of the same questions as the first interview, the friendly casual air was replaced with that of an interrogation. Many of the questions I asked were taken in the most negative context possible, more than once derailing the interview into the interviewer venting about past team members. I've heard nothing further about this job, but after the last interview I really didn't want to work with this man so I haven't followed up about it either.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Red Hat in October 2014.

Interview

This position was brought to my attention through my staffing agency. They presented the position and I did an initial phone screen. The phone conversation was about 45 minutes long and consisted of mostly technical questions. Very little about personality came into plan during the screening. While there were basic, straight-forward answers, there were quite a few challenging "big picture" questions as well that involved designing project structure as well as database schemas. Having only done the phone screening, it proved to be quite difficult to conduct a relatively in-depth interview over the phone.

Interview Questions

• The difficult piece of the interview was answering business case or design questions that took a minute to think about and would have certainly helped to have a whiteboard or at least been in the room with them.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat in November 2014.

Interview

Only a single interview with two of the software engineers. Asked technical questions based on how compilers work as well as behavioural questions to guage my interest in the company. They were very nice and they helped me out when I was struggling. Also very encouraging in terms of urging you to think harder and come up with the correct answer.

Interview Questions

• If you were to design a compiler what would be the first feature you would build for it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

First I had e-mail about my application. After I accepted to talk about available opportunities in Red Hat recruiter call me and we talk about some basic stuff, e.g. what do I do and what are my interests and she talk about company and related matters. We continued and arranged my possible job position over a e-mail. After that recruiter arrange me i tech interview. Tech interview was pretty easy, guys were really friendly and helpful all the time. But I kinda blow up cuz I was so nervous. Interview took about an hour.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember anymore, threading, some stuff I didi on my job...   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in May 2014.

Interview

I found the job description on local java meetup group. A recruiter post it. Then I got connected with her. She introduced me to the position. Then I had a screen technical interview with her. After a day, she told me I passed it. After that, she told me that she would talk with a software manager and schedule a phone interview. I waited for about 10 days before they gave me the call. The interview was very technical. Then the recruiter called me after 3 hrs to tell me I was denied.

Interview Questions

• thread multi thread hash map/map/hash table iterator static final pass by reference/value private/public/protected/default constructor/method/class linked list and array list hash table final abstract class E-R model   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brno (Czech Republic)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (Brno (Czech Republic)) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied to the job via their jobs site. I got an email in about two weeks and set up a phone interview with a recruiter. Once we spoke, he said a hiring manager will be in touch with me by the end of the week. Two months and a few reminders (which he suggested I should send periodically) later, I got a copy-pasted response that the position had been filled. It's pretty disappointing that I did not even get a technical interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Neuchâtel (Switzerland)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Neuchâtel (Switzerland)).

Interview

I mailed a contact I knew 2x. The first time they had no need, the 2nd time the had an open position. Since I was was commiter in a opensource project they were interested and made me meet them. We had a quick talk about my experience, no detailled technical discussions. I was then ask to point them to source code I wrote and to some references in my opensource project. They got asked and since all this seemed positive to them, the deal was perfect, I got hired! Awesome!

Interview Questions

• None, my opensource source-code and references were proof enough.   Answer Question

Negotiation

by phone, very easy, my requested salary was immediately accepted since it was matching their grid and budget.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Usually you need to have a interview only one time. The interview is a kind of casual and you don't need to wear suites. Usually interviewer don't care about formality.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Thiruvananthapuram (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Red Hat (Thiruvananthapuram (India)) in July 2013.

Interview

The first round contained aptitude and programming questions based on C .From it , half of the candidates were eliminated . It was followed by two technical interviews in which they mostly ask questions on your project(very important) ,data structures , operating systems and on your choice of programming language (c/java) . The HR round is just for formality and they give you the offer

Interview Questions

• You are given a binary tree as input , find whether the tree is a BST or not .   1 Answer