Red Hat

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Tech Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Red Hat in May 2012.

I applied directly through Red Hat's website and didn't expect to hear back at all. But I did! Yay! And keep in mind, I applied for an entry level job. I internally was moved into my current position as tech support engineer, but I was originally hired for something that was very foot-in-the-door.

To give a very high level overview of the process: I followed up with them directly to see if they had reviewed my resume. They in turn followed up by setting up a phone screen with someone that I'd work with in the specific group the job opening was for. After the phone screen they asked to set up an in person interview. Once the interview was done, they decided to offer me a job. They in turn redirected me through a recruiter who handled the hiring and negotiation process from then on out.

This is the only complaint I have. I wished I would have known that I would be dealing with a hiring/placement agency. Would it have changed anything? Nah. It just would have been nice to know.

Having said that, I think only certain positions go through agencies. RH definitely has their only internal recruiters and of course they have HR as well to handle all the hiring goodness. I don't know where the distinction falls.

Anywaysssssssssssssssss, back to the process. On the interview day, I interviewed with 3 people. Each person was assigned to ask questions about RH values. So interspersed with some typical interview questions, each person asked questions to try and determine if you fit RH values. I'd say there was probably equal emphasis placed on RH values and experience. It's been a bit, but I think examples of values are: honesty, ability to work openly, taking responsibility, courage, commitment, etc.

The whole process took about a week. That's from when I started bugging them on FB and through their "status check of application" function which was a feature on their careers page on their website (I don't know if they still have that or not) to getting the job offer.

The phone screen took about 15 - 30mins? I believe they wanted to set up an in person interview within the same day of the phone screen. Then the interview took about 3 hours or so. They had offered me a job by the next day IIRC. Since I was redirected through a placement agency, salary negotiation didn't seem like it was something that could be done. However, after my contractor term expired and RH offered me the job, I was able to negotiate some.

Interview Questions
  • Not too technical of an interview. They were mostly looking for personality fit. someone with passion, a bit of tech skills, aptitude for all things linux/computer related.

However, this was an entry level job. Other jobs certainly have much more difficult and relevant interviews.
      Answer Question
It was N/A but mostly bc I was brought on as a contractor through an agency. See my above ramblings