Red Hat

3.6

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Principal Software Engineer, Big Data Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat in June 2014.

The interview process involved a recruiter phone screening, number of behavioral interviews over the phone with team members, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager (iirc). I was told they'd get back to me by a certain date. Then they asked for a two-week extension when they date came. Then they never got back to me. They left me hanging, not knowing how to conduct the rest of my job search. They never even had the decency to let me know I was no longer being considered, despite promising to call me back.

Also, the job was advertised as allowing remote work from anywhere in the U.S., but they declined to advertise that there are 7 states from which they won't normally hire people. So it was irritating to invest the effort into getting an interview without knowing that likely roadblock awaited.

Overall I'm deeply disappointed with Red Hat. They showed a systemic lack of character.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember. Normal stuff like "what's your biggest mistake".   Answer Question

Tech Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Red Hat in May 2012.

I applied directly through Red Hat's website and didn't expect to hear back at all. But I did! Yay! And keep in mind, I applied for an entry level job. I internally was moved into my current position as tech support engineer, but I was originally hired for something that was very foot-in-the-door.

To give a very high level overview of the process: I followed up with them directly to see if they had reviewed my resume. They in turn followed up by setting up a phone screen with someone that I'd work with in the specific group the job opening was for. After the phone screen they asked to set up an in person interview. Once the interview was done, they decided to offer me a job. They in turn redirected me through a recruiter who handled the hiring and negotiation process from then on out.

This is the only complaint I have. I wished I would have known that I would be dealing with a hiring/placement agency. Would it have changed anything? Nah. It just would have been nice to know.

Having said that, I think only certain positions go through agencies. RH definitely has their only internal recruiters and of course they have HR as well to handle all the hiring goodness. I don't know where the distinction falls.

Anywaysssssssssssssssss, back to the process. On the interview day, I interviewed with 3 people. Each person was assigned to ask questions about RH values. So interspersed with some typical interview questions, each person asked questions to try and determine if you fit RH values. I'd say there was probably equal emphasis placed on RH values and experience. It's been a bit, but I think examples of values are: honesty, ability to work openly, taking responsibility, courage, commitment, etc.

The whole process took about a week. That's from when I started bugging them on FB and through their "status check of application" function which was a feature on their careers page on their website (I don't know if they still have that or not) to getting the job offer.

The phone screen took about 15 - 30mins? I believe they wanted to set up an in person interview within the same day of the phone screen. Then the interview took about 3 hours or so. They had offered me a job by the next day IIRC. Since I was redirected through a placement agency, salary negotiation didn't seem like it was something that could be done. However, after my contractor term expired and RH offered me the job, I was able to negotiate some.

Interview Questions
    • Not too technical of an interview. They were mostly looking for personality fit. someone with passion, a bit of tech skills, aptitude for all things linux/computer related.

However, this was an entry level job. Other jobs certainly have much more difficult and relevant interviews.

Answer Question
    It was N/A but mostly bc I was brought on as a contractor through an agency. See my above ramblings

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in May 2012.

I applied through LinkedIn and got an email back from the recruiter asking me to write a page up as to why I think I would be good for this role. After that I got a call from the recruiter in couple of days to schedule a telephonic round of interview with the hiring manager. The interview went on well and the hiring manager asked me to go through the links for the product and come up with a live demo for the face to face interview round. I had two face to face interview round with the manager and the director which went well and was offered which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Red Hat being an open source provider they are looking for new ideas to make their product integration and usage more customer friendly.   Answer Question
    It is negotiable to an extent.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in January 2009.

The interview process is detailed and long.
    You will meet with several people over a period of time.
    It may feel like a long process but Red Hat is thorough in it's interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Knowledge of the Open Source Way, be sure to understand this, it is different from other software companies   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in January 2008.

Interview process included phone screening and in-person interviews with peers, direct manager, and other organizational managers. Questions were directly focused on my personal actions and contributions in previous jobs, and were usually situational. Direct manager interview also consisted of a very free form conversation, more of a "get to know you" atmosphere. Lunch was provided and hosted by a colleague who worked on the same team. Overall, a very positive experience and one which was obviously designed to weed out bozos early.

Interview Questions
    • Paraphrasing: Describe a situation where you observed things going off the rails on a project and you chose not to take action. What happened, and why did you make that choice?   View Answer
    Short and sweet. However, I get the impression the process is more difficult over the last year or two as recruiters are often incredibly overassigned.