Red Lobster

Getting the Interview

20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Lobster.

Interview Details – never got back to me and wasted time out of my life filling out that long application

Interview Question – they never got back to me and i called them every few days to see if they even looked at my application   Answer Question

Hostess

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Lobster in February 2014.

Interview Details – 3 Interviews with the 3 main managers of the location

Interview Question – The question was based on how I would handle unruly guests that are waiting for a table.   Answer Question

Florence, SC

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Red Lobster in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, received an email two days later to call to schedule an interview. I did so and was offered the position on the spot. It took me less then a week to be hired.

Interview Question – Why red lobster?   View Answer

Pittsburg, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Lobster in January 2014.

Interview Details – This is my first job and I am currently 17 and still in high school. I applied online and got an email the next day telling me to call and schedule an interview. I asked for a manager and then the manager told me to call back on Friday and ask for another manager. I did so and then that manager told me that ANOTHER manager would call me back to schedule an interview. It was just a weird thing but a manager ended up calling me a couple days later and scheduling and interview.
The day I came in, there were actually a lot of other people interviewing. I waited for about 10-15 mins for the interview before me to finish before I went in. The manager came out and I automatically stood up, put my phone away, and shook his hand. Then he led me to one of the booths to start the interview. Remember to wait for the interviewer to invite you to sit down by the way.
As for the interview itself, it was all just basic questions. Just stay calm and be outgoing. I made my interviewer laugh a lot so that helped. The manager was telling me how they don't always have positions open but they like to get applications and find out about the people applying. He also told me how they don't really get a lot of people coming in with no experience and I took that as a chance to tell him that although I don't have any experience, I do have experience doing things that a hostess would do. I think that really helped my cause so if you have no experience, think of things that a hostess or whatever job you're applying to would do that you have done before and use that to your advantage. For example, I do a lot of volunteering and I throw a lot of family parties so I told him that I have done various tasks like showing people to their seats, handing people programs or invitations, making sure everyone feels comfortable, etc. Oh and also, when he asked if I had any questions, I asked if I did get the job, would there be anything I could take home and study so I could come in and be ready. I think that really showed him how much I wanted the job and how dedicated I would be to it.
After the interview, he told me that there were a few hostess positions open and said to let him finish the rest of his interviews and then he'd call me on Monday, which was 3 days later. False information though, he actually called me the following Tuesday. Either way, he told me that they were gonna go ahead and offer me the position and that I'd start training in 2 weeks because he was gonna go on vacation until then.

Interview Question – How would you make a customer feel welcome?   View Answer

Hostess

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Lobster.

Interview Details – Fairly easy, applied online and called for an interview a couple weeks later.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Red Lobster in October 2012.

Interview Details – applied online got an email while later to call and set up an interview with them. had 2 interviews. fairly easy. got hired.

Interview Question – whydoyou want to work here   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there wasn't one.

Hostess

I applied online - interviewed at Red Lobster in May 2013.

Interview Details – The interview went great. When you first go in, reach your hand first to give them a firm handshake and introduce yourself. My interviewers literally said "wow!" when I did that, I guess they didn't expect it! Maintain eye contact, do not twiddle your thumbs or say "like" when answering the questions they ask. I had them both laughing when we first sat down. First impressions are DEFINITELY the key!! Questions were fairly easy. . I got hired on my first interview, which apparently is rare. My friend works there and said they loved me. Don't tell them what you think they want to hear, tell them how you would take care of a guest who is yelling and complaining, and many more scenarios. The truth goes so much farther than you'd think. Good luck to future applicants!!!

Interview Question – I can't remember the exact question but it was somewhere along the lines of "How do you see yourself as an employee and working with others?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Both interviewers asked why I was leaving my now previous employer. I just told them I have responsibilities to pay for that my previous employer couldn't help me with and they both said "I've been there done that. Don't worry, we're going to help you as much as we can."

Austell, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Red Lobster in March 2011.

Interview Details – Red Lobster had a banner out front that said "now hiring" which meant everybody and their mums were gonna apply. I went inside to fill out an application during a slow week day (I figured that I'd be able to speak to a manager that way without excuses or interruptions). sure enough, managers were setting up interviews on the spot with applicants. I interviewed that day and was scheduled a second interview during the same week. I was offered the job on the spot and given an orientation date.

Interview Question – why do you want to work for Darden restaurants?   Answer Question

Pineville, NC

I applied online - interviewed at Red Lobster in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied and received an email the next day asking to call for an interview, When the interview started off, the manager just asks you to tell them a little about yourself, like education and stuff, then they ask you about your past work experience and why you left your prior jobs. They mainly ask lots of scenario and "What If" questions, if the manager of the position you applied for like you he'll schedule you an interview with the general manager

Interview Question – The questions were pretty easy, the scenario questions just began to get tedious and boring   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The position i applied for was negotiated, i applied for server but wanted to be a hostess.

Elmhurst, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Lobster in September 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online, then called in the manager told me to come in 4 days later.
I went in that Monday had a interview with 1 manager then he told me to come back for a second interview.

Interview Question – Why should I hire you ?
What would you look for in a employee if you were hiring ?
Tell me about yourself ...

The second interview was much harder than the first one so be prepared !!!
I was a nervous wreck,stuttering and froze up etc .. Just keep a smile on your face ,you'll get the job !! Keep smiling :)
  Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Red Lobster

Worked for Red Lobster? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Red Lobster Hostess interview questions and advice. All 20 interview reviews posted anonymously by Red Lobster employees and interview candidates.