Red Lobster

Updated Feb 12, 2015
Updated Feb 12, 2015

2.2

Server Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Red Lobster.

It was concise and straight to the point. Asked the hard hitting questions and allowed me time to ask my own questions to get a better feel for the position.

Interview Questions
    • What was my weakest skill and what plan do I have in place to develop that skill.   Answer Question

Line Cook Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Red Lobster.

Showed up, said "Hey I want to be a line cook." They were all "K... see you tonight on the line."

It wasn't an interview per se. This is an hourly line cook position. I'm really just filling this out so I can see other reviews on this silly website. There's really not much else to say. I mean... it's Red Lobster, people. What do you expect? A 20 page online survey followed by a series of web interviews to narrow down the best candidate?

So good

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Lobster.

I applied online, got an email a day or so later asking me to call the store to set up an interview time. I did so, and set up an interview for the week later on a Wednesday. Things got a bit confusing at this point, as I then learned the day later that I was available to work the Wednesday previous (which was the initial time they asked me to come in), and so I called them back and changed the interview time to happen sooner. Only then to get a call the day of asking if we could, in fact, schedule it back to the previous date. A bit disappointing, because I wanted to get the interview done as soon as possible, but I told them it was no problem.

I suppose I should note that before this I've never had any serving experience. However I did have 1 1/2 or so years of experience working in food/customer service, 6 months of that being as an assistant manager for a company. I emphasized on it, and I could tell during the interviews that that helped me out a lot.

Fast-forward to that Wednesday, I came in 5-10 minutes early, got seated to wait for the interviewer and had a nice friendly chat with the hostess and some of the server's running around to keep up my positive attitude. After about 5-10 minutes the interview came up to me, I shook his hand and he sat me down. The interview itself lasted about 30 minutes, and about 10 minutes of that was really because I kept asking him questions at the 'Do you have any questions for me?' part. From there he excused himself for just a moment and went into the back to do something and I was left at the table for a few minutes. After he came back, he immediately asked me if I wanted to set up a second interview with the GM the day next and I accepted. I found out later that the time period that he was in the back he called the GM from my previous job to get a reference. Everything went well, clearly.

The next day I came in time for the interview, waited a good 15-20 minutes for the GM. It was a bit nerve-wracking but things were relatively busy in the restaurant so I understood. She finally came to grab me for our interview and I had a pleasant conversation with her. It didn't last as long as the former interview but I had a nice time and a good feeling that it went well. Before I left she told me to call back the next day at around 11:30 am to see if I got the position, given that she still had one interview to hold after she was finished with me. I did exactly as she said, called back at precisely 11:30 and got the job!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a normal day at your previous job.
      What were the circumstances that led you to leave your last job?
      Describe a situation where you had to handle an unruly customer.
      What would you do to make a customer's dining experience particularly memorable?

View Answer

Server Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Red Lobster in February 2015.

Asked simple questions like what experience do you have, why did u choose red lobster out of all other restaurants, ect. Then I got to talk to the server manager who was great!

Interview Questions
    Stay positive, do a great job, & sell them your best since your getting a job

Utility Interview

Submitted an application online, got an email saying to call for an interview. Called and set up an interview. Most of the questions were about past work experience. Some of the specific questions were "What does teamwork mean to you?" "At your last job, what are some of the things you did when you first arrived at work every day?" "Have you ever had a day at work where something went wrong?" Plus they ask basic questions that you would be asked at any job interview, like about your availability and whether you have transportation.

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Lobster.

I applied online and got an email 4 days later saying "We would like to speak with you! Please contact a manager within 2 days to set up an interview." Of course, I was really excited because I like Red Lobster and really wanted to work there.

Now I will preface this by saying I have no serving experience but I do have 5-6 years of retail/sales/customer service/some food industry experience. So it's not like I'm fresh out of high school looking for a job....

I went in 2 days later and met with the server's manager. She was actually pretty awesome. It was a fantastic interview. There were really no tough questions, just tried to get to know me and my experience and see how I would fit in. After about a 20 minute conversation, she said "Are you free to come back Tuesday for a second interview with the GM? I love your energy and your work experience."

Obviously I left there with some confidence in myself and the possibilities.

Fast forward to Tuesday......
    I came back and walked in 5 minutes before my interview to sit and wait behind 2 other people. Annoying, yes. But this is a serving job at a mid-level restaurant, that's really not a big deal at all. Then after about 30 minutes of sitting and faking a smile to the hostess to not show any nerves or anything, he finally came out from the last interview and called my name.

And it all went down from there. This Good Sir could not form a complete sentence the entire time. He was bumbling with every question he asked me and when I would answer he would barely look like he was giving any attention to what I said. Not to mention, a GM should PROBABLY have some questions ready to go when they are doing mass interviews like this.........There was a minuteish gap in between every question where he stuttered and bumbled along trying to think of the next question to ask. Really throws good energy and great work experience for a loop when it's like that. Then after stumbling his way through like a drunkard on Christmas morn, he finally said, "Thanks for your time, you will get a call from [Manager] who is involved with paperwork and all that at 5 on Thursday (2 days later)." And he, in fact, even writes down on my application "Call back @ 5 on Thursday".

No call. No email. No dice. Such is the way of things I suppose. A+ for the manager, F for the GM. They missed out too, I was really excited to be a part of the team.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me your favorite meal here and sell me a drink.   View Answer

Waitress Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Lobster.

Usually filling out an application online or in the restaurant suffices; call several days later to check on your application and to secure an interview. Dress well and show your willingness to work in a team-oriented environment. Show how well you can sell - chief items are drinks, appetizers, and desserts. Utilize your personality; show that you are approachable and can handle sudden or unexpected changes with mental and emotional flexibility.

Interview Questions
    • They gave me five minutes to pick an appetizer and drink to sell to them as if I were a waitress and they were customers. Think quickly and focus on buzzwords.   Answer Question

Hostess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakdale, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakdale, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Lobster in December 2014.

Applied online. Got an email a few days later asking that I call to schedule an interview. The interview was quite simple. Asked about availability and why red lobster and also the regular questions about past experience and what if situations. Got asked to come back for a second interview, that lasted maybe 15 mins. Offered job that same day

Interview Questions
    Wasn't able to negotiate but starting at $9.50 for a host isn't bad.

Server Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Red Lobster in December 2014.

I applied online for a server assistant position. 3 days later I received an email telling me that they were interested and to call a manager within the next two days. I made sure that I called early because it was a Saturday and I know that they get busy in the afternoon. I called and spoke to a manager and she set me up for a interview Monday afternoon. I arrived 10 minutes early and signed in. It was a couple of people in front of me waiting to be interviewed so I wait about 20 minutes before the manager got to me. My first interview was with the Service Manager she was really nice. She asked me basic questions like "Why Red Lobster" and "What does teamwork mean to you" and some customer based questions like "Tell me about a time when you encountered a conflict with a customer, how did you handle it" After the questions she told me a little bit about the position and how i must move at a fast pace. She then told me that she wanted me to speak to the General Manager for a second interview. I was really happy about that because I didn't have to drive all the way back for a second interview. About 2 minutes later the General Manager came to get me and his questions were a little bit more detailed like why should we hire you, and why should we choose you over the other candidates I have to interview. He also asked me some more customer based questions. I pretty much knew how to answer all of the questions because I worked at Darden before so I know what is expected for my position. He then proceeded to hire me on the spot and told me that he would like to cross train me for a host position and potentially a server which was really cool because they push for growth in the company. He told me he'd call me for orientation within the next two days, So Im just waiting for the call.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we choose you over the other candidates I have to interview?   View Answer
    No negotiations starting pay is server minimum wage plus tips

Service Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Red Lobster.

Most promotions to management occur from developing existing crew-members. The first step is to become a certified trainer. Complete successfully training crew to standards for 6 months and then you can be considered for a "Professional position". The Professional position is an assistant manager job class with limited functionality. Promotion to management positions is contingent to need in area and performance rating of individual. When opportunity for management occurs the canditate must complete two interviews, a comprehension test, and drug test.

Interview Questions
    The pay scales are determined by experience and the area of country standard pay scales. Expect 42000.00 to 47000.00 annually. The bonus options are not significant but other benefits are competive.