Red Lobster

Updated Jan 28, 2015
Updated Jan 28, 2015

2.2

Utility Interview

Submitted an application online, got an email saying to call for an interview. Called and set up an interview. Most of the questions were about past work experience. Some of the specific questions were "What does teamwork mean to you?" "At your last job, what are some of the things you did when you first arrived at work every day?" "Have you ever had a day at work where something went wrong?" Plus they ask basic questions that you would be asked at any job interview, like about your availability and whether you have transportation.

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Lobster.

I applied online and got an email 4 days later saying "We would like to speak with you! Please contact a manager within 2 days to set up an interview." Of course, I was really excited because I like Red Lobster and really wanted to work there.

Now I will preface this by saying I have no serving experience but I do have 5-6 years of retail/sales/customer service/some food industry experience. So it's not like I'm fresh out of high school looking for a job....

I went in 2 days later and met with the server's manager. She was actually pretty awesome. It was a fantastic interview. There were really no tough questions, just tried to get to know me and my experience and see how I would fit in. After about a 20 minute conversation, she said "Are you free to come back Tuesday for a second interview with the GM? I love your energy and your work experience."

Obviously I left there with some confidence in myself and the possibilities.

Fast forward to Tuesday......
    I came back and walked in 5 minutes before my interview to sit and wait behind 2 other people. Annoying, yes. But this is a serving job at a mid-level restaurant, that's really not a big deal at all. Then after about 30 minutes of sitting and faking a smile to the hostess to not show any nerves or anything, he finally came out from the last interview and called my name.

And it all went down from there. This Good Sir could not form a complete sentence the entire time. He was bumbling with every question he asked me and when I would answer he would barely look like he was giving any attention to what I said. Not to mention, a GM should PROBABLY have some questions ready to go when they are doing mass interviews like this.........There was a minuteish gap in between every question where he stuttered and bumbled along trying to think of the next question to ask. Really throws good energy and great work experience for a loop when it's like that. Then after stumbling his way through like a drunkard on Christmas morn, he finally said, "Thanks for your time, you will get a call from [Manager] who is involved with paperwork and all that at 5 on Thursday (2 days later)." And he, in fact, even writes down on my application "Call back @ 5 on Thursday".

No call. No email. No dice. Such is the way of things I suppose. A+ for the manager, F for the GM. They missed out too, I was really excited to be a part of the team.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me your favorite meal here and sell me a drink.   View Answer

Waitress Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Lobster.

Usually filling out an application online or in the restaurant suffices; call several days later to check on your application and to secure an interview. Dress well and show your willingness to work in a team-oriented environment. Show how well you can sell - chief items are drinks, appetizers, and desserts. Utilize your personality; show that you are approachable and can handle sudden or unexpected changes with mental and emotional flexibility.

Interview Questions
    • They gave me five minutes to pick an appetizer and drink to sell to them as if I were a waitress and they were customers. Think quickly and focus on buzzwords.   Answer Question

Hostess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakdale, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakdale, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Lobster in December 2014.

Applied online. Got an email a few days later asking that I call to schedule an interview. The interview was quite simple. Asked about availability and why red lobster and also the regular questions about past experience and what if situations. Got asked to come back for a second interview, that lasted maybe 15 mins. Offered job that same day

Interview Questions
    Wasn't able to negotiate but starting at $9.50 for a host isn't bad.

Server Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Red Lobster in December 2014.

I applied online for a server assistant position. 3 days later I received an email telling me that they were interested and to call a manager within the next two days. I made sure that I called early because it was a Saturday and I know that they get busy in the afternoon. I called and spoke to a manager and she set me up for a interview Monday afternoon. I arrived 10 minutes early and signed in. It was a couple of people in front of me waiting to be interviewed so I wait about 20 minutes before the manager got to me. My first interview was with the Service Manager she was really nice. She asked me basic questions like "Why Red Lobster" and "What does teamwork mean to you" and some customer based questions like "Tell me about a time when you encountered a conflict with a customer, how did you handle it" After the questions she told me a little bit about the position and how i must move at a fast pace. She then told me that she wanted me to speak to the General Manager for a second interview. I was really happy about that because I didn't have to drive all the way back for a second interview. About 2 minutes later the General Manager came to get me and his questions were a little bit more detailed like why should we hire you, and why should we choose you over the other candidates I have to interview. He also asked me some more customer based questions. I pretty much knew how to answer all of the questions because I worked at Darden before so I know what is expected for my position. He then proceeded to hire me on the spot and told me that he would like to cross train me for a host position and potentially a server which was really cool because they push for growth in the company. He told me he'd call me for orientation within the next two days, So Im just waiting for the call.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we choose you over the other candidates I have to interview?   View Answer
    No negotiations starting pay is server minimum wage plus tips

Service Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Red Lobster.

Most promotions to management occur from developing existing crew-members. The first step is to become a certified trainer. Complete successfully training crew to standards for 6 months and then you can be considered for a "Professional position". The Professional position is an assistant manager job class with limited functionality. Promotion to management positions is contingent to need in area and performance rating of individual. When opportunity for management occurs the canditate must complete two interviews, a comprehension test, and drug test.

Interview Questions
    The pay scales are determined by experience and the area of country standard pay scales. Expect 42000.00 to 47000.00 annually. The bonus options are not significant but other benefits are competive.

Server Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Red Lobster.

I applied online. The next day I got an email saying to call & setup an interview with a manager. Called the next day & had an interview 2 days later. Interview went great, called me back 2 hours after the interview to set up a second interview with general manager.

Interview Questions

This particular red lobster is very slow

Front of House - Hostess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parma, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parma, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Red Lobster.

I received an email stating they were interested in interviewing me and to call the phone number. I called and set up an interview for two days later. I showed up, interviewed with one of the leaders (I believe she was a shift manager), and then set up another interview for about three days later with the store manager. They just asked about my availability, what-if situations (for example, "How would you respond if someone was upset with their service and complained while they were leaving?" and things like that).

Interview Questions
    • I had a really hard time with, "What does the word respect mean to you?" Only because it was hard for me to describe on the spot what it means to me without using the actual word.   Answer Question

Bartender Interview

online application, then did an interview with one of the managers. then was invited for another interview with the general manager. process was quick, was hired by the end of the day.

Interview Questions
    • you may not make much money in this position, how do you feel about this?   Answer Question

Hostess Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Red Lobster.

Got email one day after I applied online, went in and had an interview, was hired two days later. The managers were all very nice and very easy to talk to.