Red Lobster

Updated Feb 12, 2015
Updated Feb 12, 2015

2.2

Server Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Red Lobster in December 2009.

They want you to say how you will anticipate guests needs with a kind and caring smile as well as a focus on team work and dispute resolution. For a management posiion the questions consisted of pre determined situational questions about conflict resolution and leadership witihin the company and your proven track record...The best way to get the job is to know someone or to work for the company (for management)

Interview Questions
    • Name a situation in which you had to deal with unruly people and get them to work towards a common goal   Answer Question

Professional Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Red Lobster in May 2008.

long drawn out

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you would handle a particular situation..   View Answer
    not soo much

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Lobster in February 2012.

Hr 45 min interview, dm 2 hr interview, 1 hr gm interview, offer

Interview Questions
    • why do you want to work for red lobster   View Answer
    • kind of experience with upset customers   View Answer
    pay

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Desert, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Desert, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Red Lobster in May 2012.

Applied online (mon), recieved a call back(wed) within 2 days of applying. Phone call asked if i was availablie to go in for an interview on fri. Showed up early. was interviewed 1 on 1 and then advanced to the 2nd step in the interview process which was with the manager and he offered me the job. DONT FORGET TO SMILE!!!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when a customer was upset/unhappy, what did you do to correct the problem.   View Answer

Server Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portage, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portage, MI

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Red Lobster in November 2012.

I applied at Red Lobster for the host/server assistant position and got an email saying they wanted to meet me. I met with the General Manager, he was very nice but he did not really ask me any questions. It didn't seem like he was ready because he was not informed of the interview till 30 minutes before.He just explained what the position entailed, and then I guess he liked me enough because he wanted to schedule an interview to meet the District Manager. As I was getting up to leave he said "oh, and why Red Lobster?". I think because he realized he hadn't asked me anything.
    The 2nd interview with the DM was a little more detailed. He asked me questions like...
    1.how I would treat a college student as opposed to someone elderly.
    2. What would I do in a situation where a bunch of people were waiting longer than what I said the wait time was going to be and people were getting a little upset/irritated
    3.Why should we hire you to be a team member instead of any other of the candidates

After we got past the availability questions and everything, he told me he'd let me know by the next day because he had some other interviews yet and he wanted to think about it. I didn't get a call the next day but I got one about 3 days later for a Host position instead of the Server Assistant.

Interview Questions
    • What would I do in a situation where a bunch of people were waiting longer than what I said the wait time was going to be and people were getting a little upset/irritated   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Marion, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Marion, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Red Lobster in December 2012.

I applied online late at night with all the usual application information. At the end of the application process I took the personality test and woke up to an e-mail requesting that I call in the next two days to speak with a manager. I met with the service manager, Annie, and she was extremely nice. She offered me something to drink and we began the interview process. The interview was much more conversational than expected, and it felt like I was speaking with a family member. She asked me just a few questions about myself, previous experience, and ended with outlining the job expectations. At the initial interview I was only asked a few basic questions like, "What does service mean to you?" Before I left to go home she told me she would like to set up a second interview with the general manager, Eric (this was set up two days after my first interview). I agreed to the second interview happily. Later on that night I received a call from Annie saying she had checked my references and if I do get hired, I will begin as a server (they require two years full-service experience, otherwise you will begin as a SA). Two days later I came in at the same exact time to meet with Eric. He was probably 40yo and very straight forward. The minute I sat down I was bombarded with questions, the exact opposite of my first interview. Questions ranged from "tell me about yourself", "where do you see yourself in ten years?" to scenario based questions and business details of previous serving jobs. No time was wasted in between questions and they came one after another with not a second to spare. I feel he became more personable towards the end of the interview but I really felt no connection whatsoever with the GM and as if he didn't like me from the second I walked in the door. He told me that the next day he had a meeting with the Annie and they would be in touch with my shortly. Today, six days later, I received an e-mail thanking me for my interest but they cannot offer employment to me at this time.

Interview Questions
    • Be extra prepared for questions that are only about yourself and have them down.

Ex: Tell me about yourself, Where would you like to live?, What do you plan on doing with you degree?

Scenario based questions.

Ex: Conflict between you and a co-worker and how it was resolved?, a time when you gave bad service and made up for it, how have you gone above and beyond to make a guests experience special?

General Questions.

Ex: *Tell me about the menu for the restaurant you currently work at and what you offer*, How many servers work on busy night/ slow night, How many tables are you normally responsible for/ how many guests?, Tell me about side-work duties, What would you look for in an employee?, What do you think a fair manager is?

Answer Question

Genera Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Lobster.

I interviewed twice. I was interviewed first by two Directors of Operations and then the Regional Vice President. The interview with the Directors was timed (you had 30 minutes with each) and very specific. They explained to me they had a 'process' to interview a candidate with specific questions generated from your assessment results. When I met with the RVP (which was the second step in the process) I travelled to meet him at a hotel lobby. Our interview was much more informal, more like a conversation between friends mixed with business.

No negotiations.

Server Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Red Lobster.

It was concise and straight to the point. Asked the hard hitting questions and allowed me time to ask my own questions to get a better feel for the position.

Interview Questions
    • What was my weakest skill and what plan do I have in place to develop that skill.   Answer Question

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Lobster.

I applied online, got an email a day or so later asking me to call the store to set up an interview time. I did so, and set up an interview for the week later on a Wednesday. Things got a bit confusing at this point, as I then learned the day later that I was available to work the Wednesday previous (which was the initial time they asked me to come in), and so I called them back and changed the interview time to happen sooner. Only then to get a call the day of asking if we could, in fact, schedule it back to the previous date. A bit disappointing, because I wanted to get the interview done as soon as possible, but I told them it was no problem.

I suppose I should note that before this I've never had any serving experience. However I did have 1 1/2 or so years of experience working in food/customer service, 6 months of that being as an assistant manager for a company. I emphasized on it, and I could tell during the interviews that that helped me out a lot.

Fast-forward to that Wednesday, I came in 5-10 minutes early, got seated to wait for the interviewer and had a nice friendly chat with the hostess and some of the server's running around to keep up my positive attitude. After about 5-10 minutes the interview came up to me, I shook his hand and he sat me down. The interview itself lasted about 30 minutes, and about 10 minutes of that was really because I kept asking him questions at the 'Do you have any questions for me?' part. From there he excused himself for just a moment and went into the back to do something and I was left at the table for a few minutes. After he came back, he immediately asked me if I wanted to set up a second interview with the GM the day next and I accepted. I found out later that the time period that he was in the back he called the GM from my previous job to get a reference. Everything went well, clearly.

The next day I came in time for the interview, waited a good 15-20 minutes for the GM. It was a bit nerve-wracking but things were relatively busy in the restaurant so I understood. She finally came to grab me for our interview and I had a pleasant conversation with her. It didn't last as long as the former interview but I had a nice time and a good feeling that it went well. Before I left she told me to call back the next day at around 11:30 am to see if I got the position, given that she still had one interview to hold after she was finished with me. I did exactly as she said, called back at precisely 11:30 and got the job!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a normal day at your previous job.
      What were the circumstances that led you to leave your last job?
      Describe a situation where you had to handle an unruly customer.
      What would you do to make a customer's dining experience particularly memorable?

View Answer

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Red Lobster in February 2013.

2 step interview process with questions asked about previous employment, what kind of person are you, and how would you fit in with the company. Why did you choose to apply for the company.

None