Red Lobster

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Average Difficulty
153 candidate interviews

Server

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Red Lobster in December 2009.

Interview Details – They want you to say how you will anticipate guests needs with a kind and caring smile as well as a focus on team work and dispute resolution. For a management posiion the questions consisted of pre determined situational questions about conflict resolution and leadership witihin the company and your proven track record...The best way to get the job is to know someone or to work for the company (for management)

Interview Question – Name a situation in which you had to deal with unruly people and get them to work towards a common goal   Answer Question

Professional Interview

Professional

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Red Lobster in May 2008.

Interview Details – long drawn out

Interview Question – Explain how you would handle a particular situation..   View Answer

Negotiation Details – not soo much

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Lobster in February 2012.

Interview Details – Hr 45 min interview, dm 2 hr interview, 1 hr gm interview, offer

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – pay

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Palm Desert, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Red Lobster in May 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online (mon), recieved a call back(wed) within 2 days of applying. Phone call asked if i was availablie to go in for an interview on fri. Showed up early. was interviewed 1 on 1 and then advanced to the 2nd step in the interview process which was with the manager and he offered me the job. DONT FORGET TO SMILE!!!

Interview Question – Describe a time when a customer was upset/unhappy, what did you do to correct the problem.   View Answer

Server Assistant Interview

Server Assistant
Portage, MI

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Red Lobster in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied at Red Lobster for the host/server assistant position and got an email saying they wanted to meet me. I met with the General Manager, he was very nice but he did not really ask me any questions. It didn't seem like he was ready because he was not informed of the interview till 30 minutes before.He just explained what the position entailed, and then I guess he liked me enough because he wanted to schedule an interview to meet the District Manager. As I was getting up to leave he said "oh, and why Red Lobster?". I think because he realized he hadn't asked me anything.
The 2nd interview with the DM was a little more detailed. He asked me questions like...
1.how I would treat a college student as opposed to someone elderly.
2. What would I do in a situation where a bunch of people were waiting longer than what I said the wait time was going to be and people were getting a little upset/irritated
3.Why should we hire you to be a team member instead of any other of the candidates

After we got past the availability questions and everything, he told me he'd let me know by the next day because he had some other interviews yet and he wanted to think about it. I didn't get a call the next day but I got one about 3 days later for a Host position instead of the Server Assistant.

Interview Question – What would I do in a situation where a bunch of people were waiting longer than what I said the wait time was going to be and people were getting a little upset/irritated   Answer Question

Marion, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Red Lobster in December 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online late at night with all the usual application information. At the end of the application process I took the personality test and woke up to an e-mail requesting that I call in the next two days to speak with a manager. I met with the service manager, Annie, and she was extremely nice. She offered me something to drink and we began the interview process. The interview was much more conversational than expected, and it felt like I was speaking with a family member. She asked me just a few questions about myself, previous experience, and ended with outlining the job expectations. At the initial interview I was only asked a few basic questions like, "What does service mean to you?" Before I left to go home she told me she would like to set up a second interview with the general manager, Eric (this was set up two days after my first interview). I agreed to the second interview happily. Later on that night I received a call from Annie saying she had checked my references and if I do get hired, I will begin as a server (they require two years full-service experience, otherwise you will begin as a SA). Two days later I came in at the same exact time to meet with Eric. He was probably 40yo and very straight forward. The minute I sat down I was bombarded with questions, the exact opposite of my first interview. Questions ranged from "tell me about yourself", "where do you see yourself in ten years?" to scenario based questions and business details of previous serving jobs. No time was wasted in between questions and they came one after another with not a second to spare. I feel he became more personable towards the end of the interview but I really felt no connection whatsoever with the GM and as if he didn't like me from the second I walked in the door. He told me that the next day he had a meeting with the Annie and they would be in touch with my shortly. Today, six days later, I received an e-mail thanking me for my interest but they cannot offer employment to me at this time.

Interview Question – Be extra prepared for questions that are only about yourself and have them down.

Ex: Tell me about yourself, Where would you like to live?, What do you plan on doing with you degree?

Scenario based questions.

Ex: Conflict between you and a co-worker and how it was resolved?, a time when you gave bad service and made up for it, how have you gone above and beyond to make a guests experience special?

General Questions.

Ex: *Tell me about the menu for the restaurant you currently work at and what you offer*, How many servers work on busy night/ slow night, How many tables are you normally responsible for/ how many guests?, Tell me about side-work duties, What would you look for in an employee?, What do you think a fair manager is?
  Answer Question

Genera Manager Interview

Genera Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Lobster.

Interview Details – I interviewed twice. I was interviewed first by two Directors of Operations and then the Regional Vice President. The interview with the Directors was timed (you had 30 minutes with each) and very specific. They explained to me they had a 'process' to interview a candidate with specific questions generated from your assessment results. When I met with the RVP (which was the second step in the process) I travelled to meet him at a hotel lobby. Our interview was much more informal, more like a conversation between friends mixed with business.

Interview Question – General Interview Questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Red Lobster.

Interview Details – Very by the book and simple. Easy and anticipated interview questions

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Certified Trainer Interview

Certified Trainer
West Bradenton, FL

I applied in-person - interviewed at Red Lobster in January 2010.

Interview Details – Math test, bar test, customer satisfaction quizzes, and lots of old videos. Liked the eating part :) learning different types of seafood.

Interview Question – Where did I see myself in 10 years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – the was none

Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Lobster in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Recieved email a few days later stating to call and set up an interview time with a manager. Called the same day and my time was 3pm the next day. Arrived to the interview 15 minutes early. interviewed with the manager then he asked could I stay for a second interview. My second interview took place a few minutes later with the managers boss. He then asked me more of pretty the same questions as the first interviewer. He then offered me the position and set up my orientation which is next week!

Interview Question – Why red lobsters? What is your favorite dish on our menu? Why did you leave your last job? What does good customer service mean to you? What does teamwork mean to you? Name a time when you've had to deal with an upset customer in your last position? Any serving experience? Why should we hire you? What are some characteristics a server should have?   View Answer

Worked for Red Lobster? Contribute to the Community!