Red Lobster Interview Questions

Updated Sep 21, 2014

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Marion, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marion, IL

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Red Lobster in December 2012.

I applied online late at night with all the usual application information. At the end of the application process I took the personality test and woke up to an e-mail requesting that I call in the next two days to speak with a manager. I met with the service manager, Annie, and she was extremely nice. She offered me something to drink and we began the interview process. The interview was much more conversational than expected, and it felt like I was speaking with a family member. She asked me just a few questions about myself, previous experience, and ended with outlining the job expectations. At the initial interview I was only asked a few basic questions like, "What does service mean to you?" Before I left to go home she told me she would like to set up a second interview with the general manager, Eric (this was set up two days after my first interview). I agreed to the second interview happily. Later on that night I received a call from Annie saying she had checked my references and if I do get hired, I will begin as a server (they require two years full-service experience, otherwise you will begin as a SA). Two days later I came in at the same exact time to meet with Eric. He was probably 40yo and very straight forward. The minute I sat down I was bombarded with questions, the exact opposite of my first interview. Questions ranged from "tell me about yourself", "where do you see yourself in ten years?" to scenario based questions and business details of previous serving jobs. No time was wasted in between questions and they came one after another with not a second to spare. I feel he became more personable towards the end of the interview but I really felt no connection whatsoever with the GM and as if he didn't like me from the second I walked in the door. He told me that the next day he had a meeting with the Annie and they would be in touch with my shortly. Today, six days later, I received an e-mail thanking me for my interest but they cannot offer employment to me at this time.

Interview Questions
    • Be extra prepared for questions that are only about yourself and have them down.

Ex: Tell me about yourself, Where would you like to live?, What do you plan on doing with you degree?

Scenario based questions.

Ex: Conflict between you and a co-worker and how it was resolved?, a time when you gave bad service and made up for it, how have you gone above and beyond to make a guests experience special?

General Questions.

Ex: *Tell me about the menu for the restaurant you currently work at and what you offer*, How many servers work on busy night/ slow night, How many tables are you normally responsible for/ how many guests?, Tell me about side-work duties, What would you look for in an employee?, What do you think a fair manager is?
        Answer Question

Server Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Red Lobster in December 2009.

They want you to say how you will anticipate guests needs with a kind and caring smile as well as a focus on team work and dispute resolution. For a management posiion the questions consisted of pre determined situational questions about conflict resolution and leadership witihin the company and your proven track record...The best way to get the job is to know someone or to work for the company (for management)

Interview Questions
    • Name a situation in which you had to deal with unruly people and get them to work towards a common goal   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palm Desert, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Desert, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Red Lobster in May 2012.

Applied online (mon), recieved a call back(wed) within 2 days of applying. Phone call asked if i was availablie to go in for an interview on fri. Showed up early. was interviewed 1 on 1 and then advanced to the 2nd step in the interview process which was with the manager and he offered me the job. DONT FORGET TO SMILE!!!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when a customer was upset/unhappy, what did you do to correct the problem.   View Answer

Server Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portage, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portage, MI

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Red Lobster in November 2012.

I applied at Red Lobster for the host/server assistant position and got an email saying they wanted to meet me. I met with the General Manager, he was very nice but he did not really ask me any questions. It didn't seem like he was ready because he was not informed of the interview till 30 minutes before.He just explained what the position entailed, and then I guess he liked me enough because he wanted to schedule an interview to meet the District Manager. As I was getting up to leave he said "oh, and why Red Lobster?". I think because he realized he hadn't asked me anything.
    The 2nd interview with the DM was a little more detailed. He asked me questions like...
    1.how I would treat a college student as opposed to someone elderly.
    2. What would I do in a situation where a bunch of people were waiting longer than what I said the wait time was going to be and people were getting a little upset/irritated
    3.Why should we hire you to be a team member instead of any other of the candidates

After we got past the availability questions and everything, he told me he'd let me know by the next day because he had some other interviews yet and he wanted to think about it. I didn't get a call the next day but I got one about 3 days later for a Host position instead of the Server Assistant.

Interview Questions
    • What would I do in a situation where a bunch of people were waiting longer than what I said the wait time was going to be and people were getting a little upset/irritated   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Lobster in February 2012.

Hr 45 min interview, dm 2 hr interview, 1 hr gm interview, offer

Interview Questions
    • why do you want to work for red lobster   View Answer
    • kind of experience with upset customers   View Answer
    pay

Professional Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Red Lobster in May 2008.

long drawn out

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you would handle a particular situation..   View Answer
    not soo much

Genera Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Lobster.

I interviewed twice. I was interviewed first by two Directors of Operations and then the Regional Vice President. The interview with the Directors was timed (you had 30 minutes with each) and very specific. They explained to me they had a 'process' to interview a candidate with specific questions generated from your assessment results. When I met with the RVP (which was the second step in the process) I travelled to meet him at a hotel lobby. Our interview was much more informal, more like a conversation between friends mixed with business.

No negotiations.

Bartender Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Lobster in July 2009.

I went through two interviews. One with a manager, and the second with the general manager. The questions were mostly situational. Some questions I remember were: personal experiences from when I dined at restaurants (positive/ negative), how would I handle a situation if I had multiple things to do at once.

Interview Questions
    • I don't really remember, but I struggled only because I had no prior restaurant experience.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Snellville, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Snellville, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Red Lobster in March 2012.

You will have a phone interview and than person to person interview with the local director.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downers Grove, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Lobster in December 2009.

Very laid back and very informative for the most part. They use a prewritten interview sheet that asks about how you would handle certain senario along with a personality profile test which is a general lie scale test.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if someone asked you to have a certain server because they didn't want this type or that type of server.   View Answer
    they called and offered my the postion for said amount and I turned down the first offer and they countered with a second for a little more and I excepted this offer

Worked for Red Lobster? Contribute to the Community!