Red Lobster Server Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Red Lobster (Edison, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very fast, I got a call for an interview the day after I applied! The interview is a 2 day process. The interviewer was very nice, she greeted me and offered me a drink before we started the interview. Come in well-dressed since it is a fancy restaurant. First impression is everything.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Red Lobster

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Red Lobster (Tucson, AZ).

Interview

Applied online, received email a few days later to call the store to set up an interview. First interview was fairly easy, scripted questions that they score you on. Remember to smile and be upbeat, show some personality, and be confident with your answers. Dress nicely, no jeans or tennis shoes. The entire first interview took about 15 minutes, no very difficult questions. Passed first interview, the manager I interviewed called me later that afternoon to schedule interview with the general manager. That interview was more of the same type of questions, just more detailed. At the end of it, he said he really liked my answers and my attitude and offered me the job on the spot. I started the following week.

Interview Questions

• How would you contribute to teamwork?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about yourself   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you had a conflict with a coworker.   1 Answer

Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Red Lobster in May 2015.

Interview

I applied through snagajob got an email to call to set up an appointment two days later. Had an interview set up the following week. I talked with the manager first she was nice but intimidating and then she left and told me the general manager was going to interview me. That interview went better than the first and at the end I was told I was hired and was given an employee packet to fill out. The interview was today and I have orientation in two days.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you demonstrated excellent customer service   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Port Huron, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Red Lobster (Port Huron, MI) in April 2015.

Interview

Came in about ten minutes early and was seated by the hostess waited five or so minutes for the interviewer who was very friendly asked a series of questions which were very simple. She said I wasn't right for a server position but said someone would call if a hostess position opened up.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Lobster (Harrisburg, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied for this job online and was sent an email a few days later. The email said that I was selected to come in for an interview. I met the manager a few days later. He asked me a few questions and I was offered a job on the spot. The whole interview was about ten minutes long.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Red Lobster (Independence, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

Sent resume to two locations and got a call the next day from the first one. The manager Sid she was looking at my resume and was very interested and she was very nice.

Interview Questions

• What is great hospitality?   1 Answer
    • What is the most important thing about a restaurant?   1 Answer

Server Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Red Lobster.

Interview

It was concise and straight to the point. Asked the hard hitting questions and allowed me time to ask my own questions to get a better feel for the position.

Interview Questions

• What was my weakest skill and what plan do I have in place to develop that skill.   Answer Question

Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Lobster.

Interview

I applied online, got an email a day or so later asking me to call the store to set up an interview time. I did so, and set up an interview for the week later on a Wednesday. Things got a bit confusing at this point, as I then learned the day later that I was available to work the Wednesday previous (which was the initial time they asked me to come in), and so I called them back and changed the interview time to happen sooner. Only then to get a call the day of asking if we could, in fact, schedule it back to the previous date. A bit disappointing, because I wanted to get the interview done as soon as possible, but I told them it was no problem.

I suppose I should note that before this I've never had any serving experience. However I did have 1 1/2 or so years of experience working in food/customer service, 6 months of that being as an assistant manager for a company. I emphasized on it, and I could tell during the interviews that that helped me out a lot.

Fast-forward to that Wednesday, I came in 5-10 minutes early, got seated to wait for the interviewer and had a nice friendly chat with the hostess and some of the server's running around to keep up my positive attitude. After about 5-10 minutes the interview came up to me, I shook his hand and he sat me down. The interview itself lasted about 30 minutes, and about 10 minutes of that was really because I kept asking him questions at the 'Do you have any questions for me?' part. From there he excused himself for just a moment and went into the back to do something and I was left at the table for a few minutes. After he came back, he immediately asked me if I wanted to set up a second interview with the GM the day next and I accepted. I found out later that the time period that he was in the back he called the GM from my previous job to get a reference. Everything went well, clearly.

The next day I came in time for the interview, waited a good 15-20 minutes for the GM. It was a bit nerve-wracking but things were relatively busy in the restaurant so I understood. She finally came to grab me for our interview and I had a pleasant conversation with her. It didn't last as long as the former interview but I had a nice time and a good feeling that it went well. Before I left she told me to call back the next day at around 11:30 am to see if I got the position, given that she still had one interview to hold after she was finished with me. I did exactly as she said, called back at precisely 11:30 and got the job!

Interview Questions

• Describe a normal day at your previous job.
      What were the circumstances that led you to leave your last job?
      Describe a situation where you had to handle an unruly customer.
      What would you do to make a customer's dining experience particularly memorable?

1 Answer

Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Lobster.

Interview

I applied online and got an email 4 days later saying "We would like to speak with you! Please contact a manager within 2 days to set up an interview." Of course, I was really excited because I like Red Lobster and really wanted to work there.

Now I will preface this by saying I have no serving experience but I do have 5-6 years of retail/sales/customer service/some food industry experience. So it's not like I'm fresh out of high school looking for a job....

I went in 2 days later and met with the server's manager. She was actually pretty awesome. It was a fantastic interview. There were really no tough questions, just tried to get to know me and my experience and see how I would fit in. After about a 20 minute conversation, she said "Are you free to come back Tuesday for a second interview with the GM? I love your energy and your work experience."

Obviously I left there with some confidence in myself and the possibilities.

Fast forward to Tuesday......
    I came back and walked in 5 minutes before my interview to sit and wait behind 2 other people. Annoying, yes. But this is a serving job at a mid-level restaurant, that's really not a big deal at all. Then after about 30 minutes of sitting and faking a smile to the hostess to not show any nerves or anything, he finally came out from the last interview and called my name.

And it all went down from there. This Good Sir could not form a complete sentence the entire time. He was bumbling with every question he asked me and when I would answer he would barely look like he was giving any attention to what I said. Not to mention, a GM should PROBABLY have some questions ready to go when they are doing mass interviews like this.........There was a minuteish gap in between every question where he stuttered and bumbled along trying to think of the next question to ask. Really throws good energy and great work experience for a loop when it's like that. Then after stumbling his way through like a drunkard on Christmas morn, he finally said, "Thanks for your time, you will get a call from [Manager] who is involved with paperwork and all that at 5 on Thursday (2 days later)." And he, in fact, even writes down on my application "Call back @ 5 on Thursday".

No call. No email. No dice. Such is the way of things I suppose. A+ for the manager, F for the GM. They missed out too, I was really excited to be a part of the team.

Interview Questions

• Sell me your favorite meal here and sell me a drink.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Red Lobster (Lanham, MD) in December 2014.

Interview

There were two interviews. The first one was easy, simple questions and no pressure. When the interview was over the man interviewing me told me that I could "throw my hat at it" and basically feel confident that I have it. He told me the second interview would be with the store manager and would pretty much be the same but more questions about the company. Me & this other girl was scheduled for the same time so I feel my interview was a little rushed however in the second interview I felt pressure & the questions were a little more complex like you had to think a little more before responding unlike the first interview where the answer just rolled off my tongue.