Red Lobster Server Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Red Lobster in March 2015.

Sent resume to two locations and got a call the next day from the first one. The manager Sid she was looking at my resume and was very interested and she was very nice.

Interview Questions
  • What is great hospitality?   View Answer
  • What is the most important thing about a restaurant?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Red Lobster

Server Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Red Lobster.

It was concise and straight to the point. Asked the hard hitting questions and allowed me time to ask my own questions to get a better feel for the position.

Interview Questions
    • What was my weakest skill and what plan do I have in place to develop that skill.   Answer Question

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Lobster.

I applied online, got an email a day or so later asking me to call the store to set up an interview time. I did so, and set up an interview for the week later on a Wednesday. Things got a bit confusing at this point, as I then learned the day later that I was available to work the Wednesday previous (which was the initial time they asked me to come in), and so I called them back and changed the interview time to happen sooner. Only then to get a call the day of asking if we could, in fact, schedule it back to the previous date. A bit disappointing, because I wanted to get the interview done as soon as possible, but I told them it was no problem.

I suppose I should note that before this I've never had any serving experience. However I did have 1 1/2 or so years of experience working in food/customer service, 6 months of that being as an assistant manager for a company. I emphasized on it, and I could tell during the interviews that that helped me out a lot.

Fast-forward to that Wednesday, I came in 5-10 minutes early, got seated to wait for the interviewer and had a nice friendly chat with the hostess and some of the server's running around to keep up my positive attitude. After about 5-10 minutes the interview came up to me, I shook his hand and he sat me down. The interview itself lasted about 30 minutes, and about 10 minutes of that was really because I kept asking him questions at the 'Do you have any questions for me?' part. From there he excused himself for just a moment and went into the back to do something and I was left at the table for a few minutes. After he came back, he immediately asked me if I wanted to set up a second interview with the GM the day next and I accepted. I found out later that the time period that he was in the back he called the GM from my previous job to get a reference. Everything went well, clearly.

The next day I came in time for the interview, waited a good 15-20 minutes for the GM. It was a bit nerve-wracking but things were relatively busy in the restaurant so I understood. She finally came to grab me for our interview and I had a pleasant conversation with her. It didn't last as long as the former interview but I had a nice time and a good feeling that it went well. Before I left she told me to call back the next day at around 11:30 am to see if I got the position, given that she still had one interview to hold after she was finished with me. I did exactly as she said, called back at precisely 11:30 and got the job!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a normal day at your previous job.
      What were the circumstances that led you to leave your last job?
      Describe a situation where you had to handle an unruly customer.
      What would you do to make a customer's dining experience particularly memorable?

View Answer

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Lobster.

I applied online and got an email 4 days later saying "We would like to speak with you! Please contact a manager within 2 days to set up an interview." Of course, I was really excited because I like Red Lobster and really wanted to work there.

Now I will preface this by saying I have no serving experience but I do have 5-6 years of retail/sales/customer service/some food industry experience. So it's not like I'm fresh out of high school looking for a job....

I went in 2 days later and met with the server's manager. She was actually pretty awesome. It was a fantastic interview. There were really no tough questions, just tried to get to know me and my experience and see how I would fit in. After about a 20 minute conversation, she said "Are you free to come back Tuesday for a second interview with the GM? I love your energy and your work experience."

Obviously I left there with some confidence in myself and the possibilities.

Fast forward to Tuesday......
    I came back and walked in 5 minutes before my interview to sit and wait behind 2 other people. Annoying, yes. But this is a serving job at a mid-level restaurant, that's really not a big deal at all. Then after about 30 minutes of sitting and faking a smile to the hostess to not show any nerves or anything, he finally came out from the last interview and called my name.

And it all went down from there. This Good Sir could not form a complete sentence the entire time. He was bumbling with every question he asked me and when I would answer he would barely look like he was giving any attention to what I said. Not to mention, a GM should PROBABLY have some questions ready to go when they are doing mass interviews like this.........There was a minuteish gap in between every question where he stuttered and bumbled along trying to think of the next question to ask. Really throws good energy and great work experience for a loop when it's like that. Then after stumbling his way through like a drunkard on Christmas morn, he finally said, "Thanks for your time, you will get a call from [Manager] who is involved with paperwork and all that at 5 on Thursday (2 days later)." And he, in fact, even writes down on my application "Call back @ 5 on Thursday".

No call. No email. No dice. Such is the way of things I suppose. A+ for the manager, F for the GM. They missed out too, I was really excited to be a part of the team.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me your favorite meal here and sell me a drink.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Red Lobster in December 2014.

There were two interviews. The first one was easy, simple questions and no pressure. When the interview was over the man interviewing me told me that I could "throw my hat at it" and basically feel confident that I have it. He told me the second interview would be with the store manager and would pretty much be the same but more questions about the company. Me & this other girl was scheduled for the same time so I feel my interview was a little rushed however in the second interview I felt pressure & the questions were a little more complex like you had to think a little more before responding unlike the first interview where the answer just rolled off my tongue.

Server Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Red Lobster.

I applied online. The next day I got an email saying to call & setup an interview with a manager. Called the next day & had an interview 2 days later. Interview went great, called me back 2 hours after the interview to set up a second interview with general manager.

Interview Questions

This particular red lobster is very slow

Server Interview

I applied on a Wednesday and I called to set up an interview the next day (with no emails saying to). I spoke to the GM who said he'll look at my application and he should get to me by that day or tomorrow. He called me 15 minutes later and asked if I could come for an interview on Tuesday. For the interview I spoke to the GM and another manager separately and they spoke privately to one another and hired me on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Why didn't the restaurant I currently worked for want to promote me to being a server   View Answer

Server Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Red Lobster.

2 interviews same day. Both managers were very nice and represented the company well. I got hired that day and came to work a few days later for my first day. Training process was not great and it took a long time. I had to take charge of my training. Trainers were more interested in gossiping then training.

Anonymous Employee in Monroe, LA
    Anonymous Employee in Monroe, LA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Red Lobster in October 2014.

I was selected for an interview. I made it there 30 minutes early. The questions were very easy and staight forward. I was nervous. My overall experience was good. It took an entire week until I heard back from them.

Interview Questions
    • How would I provide great customer service?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Red Lobster.

First you must fill out the online application. It is a long application with a personality test at the end. Once the managers have decided that you would be a fit you are called in for a first interview. After your first interview you meet with the general manager. If he approves, you are then hired.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest question was, "Do you have any felonies?". After your no response the manager then asks you, "Why not?"   Answer Question