Red Robin

Getting the Interview

59 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Kitchen Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Robin.

Interview Details – Company Recruiter, then Regional Manager.

Negotiation Details – Named my price

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Robin.

Interview Details – Called me to set up an initial interview. Asked me questions like why Red Robin? Tell me about your last job. Got a second interview with another manager and offered me a host job. They made me wait 15 minutes each time before we started the interviews. More of a conversation type interview, they want to get a feel for how you would interact with customers.

Interview Question – Tell me about you.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Wasn't the position I wanted

Hostess Interview

Hostess
Salem, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Robin in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on their website. Easy, just a lot of questions about your character in multiple choice format. If you're not a hard-worker, I'd suggest "strongly agreeing" with being one anyway and saying you love fast-paced environments and teamwork and all that stuff. (But I don't lie, so I'm glad I was what they were looking for).

About a week later, I got a phone call about an interview. I missed the call... and then called back. They still let me schedule one, even though the man (assistant manager?) sounded a little impatient. Oops, but oh well.

I went in and asked for my interviewer and met the hostessing manager, and he led me to a booth in the back. Extremely casual interactions, it felt like (but I wore a black dress with short black heels, hair up in a ponytail-fishtail-braid, and nice make-up). One of the managers sat down across from me and started asking questions about my schedule (which was VERY busy, but they liked that, I think! They seemed to want a college girl with a busy social/work life...). He also asked about my best qualities (integrity, of course), and why I wanted to work there. Somewhat intimidating.
Apparently that was good enough for the first guy, though, so they sent another man to learn a little more. He was so nice! We talked about life and university and how cool RR is, pretty much. Then he told me to come back for another interview with the general manager two days later.

I didn't know if I was doing a terrible or fine job that second day... at all. Left me feeling pretty uneasy. The general manager was making jokes the whole time and being goofy, which I usually like, but it was so unexpected and it made me feel like I was one of the throw-away options. My sense of humor is probably my best trait, though, luckily! When I think about it, that's probably exactly what he was trying to find out: If I could hold conversations with all different kinds of people. Intimidating, super nice/casual, and silly. He was really great, though, and cared about me and my interests. After a couple days, I was called to come in for orientation (which is done on tablets, might I add)! Got t-shirts and nametags. The training schedule thing is a little confusing, and I wasn't called about it for a long time, it seemed. I was going to be out of town the day they said they were going to train me, sadly, but they still told me they'd get me there. I felt like a bother, but they knew I was busy based on my resumé, right?

Super nice process, super nice people, and I couldn't be happier with the outcome!

Interview Question – "How much do you know about Red Robin and our history?"   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Server

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Robin.

Interview Details – Interview process started very quickly. Went through two rounds of interviews to be hired; one with a shift manager and second interview with store manager. Overall questions were pretty standard, but there were a lot of "touchy feely" questions that reflected on you as a person, rather than questions specific to being a server.

Interview Question – Who is the most inspirational person in your life?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on salary.

Line Cook Interview

Line Cook
Vancouver, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Red Robin in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online in response to a craigslist ad. Received a phone call approximately a week later asking if I'd be interested in an in person interview. Interview was in restaurant at a dining table. Met with manager who was friendly, veteran friendly and offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Question – What were some team building exercises you used in your former occupation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The Kitchen Manager suggested a salary and I accepted.

DMO (Dish Machine Operator) Interview

DMO (Dish Machine Operator)
Beavercreek, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Red Robin in June 2013.

Interview Details – My brother in-law worked there so he set up the interview for me. I went in, met with the manager and it was mostly personal questions to get to know me. Favorite movies, career goals, etc. It was a pretty laid-back interview but I'm not sure if it was because I knew someone who worked there or not.

Interview Question – Why I liked Will Ferrell because my answer to your favorite movie was anything by him. Obviously the answer didn't matter that much because it did not have a whole lot of relevance to the job (Dish Machine Operator)   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Bartender Interview

Bartender
Louisville, KY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Red Robin in March 2012.

Interview Details – I had three separate interviews for a serving position with three different managers. The first time I waited for the interviewee for a half hour to forty-five minutes before they acknowledged me.

Interview Question – Some questions asked were not relevant to any situation in the service industry   Answer Question

Line Cook Interview

Line Cook
West Hartford, CT

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Red Robin in May 2012.

Interview Details – Their process is quick. After you apply they take 2 to 3 days to call (sometimes up to 5), you will get call for one interview with the General Manager then in 1 or 2 days you get a second interview with the X Manager( X= Kitchen, FOH, Bartender, depends where you apply). It can be also in vise-versa, first with X Manager then with the General Manager. After the interviews the orientation will be in 1 or 2 days and then you will start to work the coming Monday or Tuesday.

Interview Question – Pretty much is all the same for the questions if you compare with others restaurants. You know, why you will like to work here, why do we have to pick you over other applicants, etc.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Server

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Red Robin in June 2013.

Interview Details – Interview and hiring process is very easy and laid back.

Interview Question – There really were no difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was unable to negotiate

Manager Trainie Interview

Interviewed at Red Robin

Interview Details – Very complete and up front about expectations

Interview Question – What one menu Item would you change?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Red Robin

Worked for Red Robin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Red Robin interview questions and advice. All 59 interview reviews posted anonymously by Red Robin employees and interview candidates.