Red Robin

Updated Dec 13, 2014

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Robin.

Called me to set up an initial interview. Asked me questions like why Red Robin? Tell me about your last job. Got a second interview with another manager and offered me a host job. They made me wait 15 minutes each time before we started the interviews. More of a conversation type interview, they want to get a feel for how you would interact with customers.

Wasn't the position I wanted

Server Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Robin.

Interview process started very quickly. Went through two rounds of interviews to be hired; one with a shift manager and second interview with store manager. Overall questions were pretty standard, but there were a lot of "touchy feely" questions that reflected on you as a person, rather than questions specific to being a server.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation on salary.

Line Cook Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Red Robin in March 2014.

Applied online in response to a craigslist ad. Received a phone call approximately a week later asking if I'd be interested in an in person interview. Interview was in restaurant at a dining table. Met with manager who was friendly, veteran friendly and offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • What were some team building exercises you used in your former occupation?   Answer Question
    The Kitchen Manager suggested a salary and I accepted.

Manager Trainie Interview

Very complete and up front about expectations

Hostess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Robin in February 2014.

I applied on their website. Easy, just a lot of questions about your character in multiple choice format. If you're not a hard-worker, I'd suggest "strongly agreeing" with being one anyway and saying you love fast-paced environments and teamwork and all that stuff. (But I don't lie, so I'm glad I was what they were looking for).

About a week later, I got a phone call about an interview. I missed the call... and then called back. They still let me schedule one, even though the man (assistant manager?) sounded a little impatient. Oops, but oh well.

I went in and asked for my interviewer and met the hostessing manager, and he led me to a booth in the back. Extremely casual interactions, it felt like (but I wore a black dress with short black heels, hair up in a ponytail-fishtail-braid, and nice make-up). One of the managers sat down across from me and started asking questions about my schedule (which was VERY busy, but they liked that, I think! They seemed to want a college girl with a busy social/work life...). He also asked about my best qualities (integrity, of course), and why I wanted to work there. Somewhat intimidating.
    Apparently that was good enough for the first guy, though, so they sent another man to learn a little more. He was so nice! We talked about life and university and how cool RR is, pretty much. Then he told me to come back for another interview with the general manager two days later.

I didn't know if I was doing a terrible or fine job that second day... at all. Left me feeling pretty uneasy. The general manager was making jokes the whole time and being goofy, which I usually like, but it was so unexpected and it made me feel like I was one of the throw-away options. My sense of humor is probably my best trait, though, luckily! When I think about it, that's probably exactly what he was trying to find out: If I could hold conversations with all different kinds of people. Intimidating, super nice/casual, and silly. He was really great, though, and cared about me and my interests. After a couple days, I was called to come in for orientation (which is done on tablets, might I add)! Got t-shirts and nametags. The training schedule thing is a little confusing, and I wasn't called about it for a long time, it seemed. I was going to be out of town the day they said they were going to train me, sadly, but they still told me they'd get me there. I felt like a bother, but they knew I was busy based on my resumé, right?

Super nice process, super nice people, and I couldn't be happier with the outcome!

Interview Questions
    • "How much do you know about Red Robin and our history?"   View Answer

Assistant General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Red Robin.

it was very clear from the first face to face interview that this company truly values its team members and acknowledges them as their most valuable asset. It was pointless going to other interviews, I knew that Red Robin was for me right after that first interview. It was very relaxed and was more of a conversation than a traditional interview.

Interview Questions
    • They were all very standard questions, things just came up during conversation.   Answer Question

Line Cook Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Red Robin.

Very easy and was hired on the spot

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Red Robin in September 2013.

Saw a sign for a new restaurant opening soon and applied online. The process was simple and easy. I received a call a few days later to come in for an interview, was told it was at a location because the facility was not finished. Expected group interviews but it was 1 on 1 with one of the friendliest general managers I ever met. Service manager was there also and she was sweet and down to earth. Asked about any experience as a waitress, how I would feel doing one task and why I wanted to work for the company. Told me a little bit about the company, as I have never been there. They asked me to recommend something off the menu, which happens to be extensive for a company restaurant, to a customer. Then I was offered the job on the spot. Told me the uniform and when orientation was going to be. The whole process took maybe 30 mins. Overall one of the best interview processes I have ever experienced.

Interview Questions
    • Reading the menu and selling something: if you do not have serving experience, which I do, this will be difficult as it is always the little things that stand out.   Answer Question
    You negotiate pay and scheduling at orientation and it is a pretty standard rate. As a server you make tips so the base rate is what it is.

Hostess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Red Robin in August 2013.

Applied online and got a call back a few days later. Had an interview with one of the managers and she was really nice and made me feel comfortable. She asked "Why do you want to work here?" "Do you have open availability?" "Why should we choose you?" "Tell me 3 things you'd want me to know about you?" "Are you planning on going back to school?" "Any questions for me?" Basic stuff like that. Then she made a 2nd interview with the GM a few days later and I thought it was going alright at first but I could tell she didn't really like me for who knows what reason. I was polite and made eye contact even. She asked most of the same questions, and a couple different ones like "Do you have your food handlers card?" "What do you think your duties for this position will be like?" She just seemed somewhat uninterested. She said she would call me back no more than 4 days later, but I never heard anything at all.

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Red Robin in August 2013.

Very professional and was a pleasure to meet the managers. They were thorough and set very clear expectations of what a team member would represent.

Interview Questions
    • How does your experience qualify you to work here and why here versus a different restaurant?   Answer Question
    very straight forward.