Red Storm Entertainment

Relevance Date Difficulty

Environment Artist Interview

Environment Artist
Morrisville, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Red Storm Entertainment in February 2011.

Interview Details – Initially I heard about the job opening via a current employee. This is standard for the company to find future hires through existing staff before advertising. Once application was submitted, I was contacted by HR. They set up a phone interview/discussion. After a test was done, I then came in for a 3-4 hour interview starting with HR,paper work, and building orientation. At first I met with 3 artist, including the Art Director of the project I was to work on. Then I met with a few producers, and then the Director/VP.

Interview Question – AS this was my first game industry interview, technical questions about best practices, texture usage, 3D sculpting practices, and specific engine questions were the most difficult to access.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations at the moment of hire, but that was a personal preference.

Senior Artist Interview

Senior Artist

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Red Storm Entertainment.

Interview Details – Took a long time to hear from anyone. Person was nice who called me. Short interview by phone. Got a phone call and interviewed with tons of people. Intimidating. Panel in person with art director, artists and producer. Reviewed my portfolio and art work.

Interview Question – How I could relate my work to first person shooters- Ghost Recon. What I would have done differently.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Get as much money as you can at the start. Raises are hard to come by. Some years you do not get anything at all. Negotiate to get a lot when you start.

Senior Artist Interview

Senior Artist
Cary, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Red Storm Entertainment in November 2010.

Interview Details – If you can impress them with them with a great portfolio they will quickly consider you. But in the face to face interview that will take a back seat, because they want to learn about your personality. Several people will interview you over the day long process, including people who have never interviewed anyone before.

Interview Question – What is your favorite Tom Clancy game.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Do not tell them what you already make. You will get offered about the same.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Human Resources/Employee Specialist Interview

Human Resources/Employee Specialist
Cary, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Red Storm Entertainment in August 2011.

Interview Details – The team contacted me within 2 weeks of my application to set up a phone interview. Two days later I was sent a questionnaire through survey monkey. The next week I was scheduled for an all day in person interview with representatives from the development team: Support, QA, Level Design, Producers, V.P.'s and Mr. Reid himself.

As a Gamer myself it was such an honor to be in their studio. I was probably a little too "star struck" at the time which only added to my nerves.

Even though I didn't get the job, their hiring tools/process were so well executed I have adopted several of the parts in my current position as an HR/Recruiting Coordinator.

Interview Question – What would you do if someone came to work with no pants on?   View Answer

Gameplay Engineer Interview

Gameplay Engineer
Cary, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Storm Entertainment in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and was shortly emailed back with a request for a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of talking to the HR manager and then talking with 2 senior level engineers, followed by the engineer who would be my lead. After that I was brought in for an in person interview. First up was a programming test which I had 1 hour to complete. After that it was on to an interview with 2 senior producers for the project. They seemed to try to be scary to see how you would react. Next I talked to a panel of 3 engineers (the same ones i spoke to on the phone) who reviewed the programming test with me and went over a few other programming questions. Last interview was with the VP of Development, who asked general personality questions, skillset questions, and questions about goals. Finally I wrapped up with the HR rep who set up my interview, and went home to wait for the email. Response from that was super fast, I got their reply before I sent out my thank you letter.

Interview Question – Write a memory manager for allocations of a constant size within an array.   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

Programmer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Red Storm Entertainment in September 2008.

Interview Details – Emailed them my resume and got a response asking me for a good time to do a phone interview. Spoke with a senior programmer during the interview. At the end of the interview he said everything looked great and they would call me to setup a date for an in-house interview. Never got a call back and after a week, called them to ask them my status. Left a message and never heard back from them.

The person I interviewed with was very nice over the phone but the complete lack of response was very rude given my expectations to go in for an in-house.

Interview Question – Talk about your past projects.   Answer Question

Worked for Red Storm Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!