Redbox

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Software Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Redbox in April 2012.

Step 1:an in-house HR recruiter called me, I did not even apply for the position.

Step 2: a technical phone intreview with the QA manage, he was nice and easy going he indicated that i did good and that the recruiter will call me for next step.

after that the proccess strated moving slow

the recruiter started acting careless i emailed him no answer and i call he does not answer or return my calls

after 4 days he sent me an email saying we would like you to come in for an interview in which four people will interview me 45min each and asking what time is good for me i said anytime just let me know.

then i was waiting for him to schedule the interview and he was taking his time and i did not like the fact that he ignored me, at least send me an email let me know whats going on, anyhow he answered me after 3days saying that he does not handle that interview scedule and someone will contact me to let me know whats the day for the interview.

then a girl from redbox calledm me after 3 more days and we agreed on a day over the phone and she said that she will send me an email with all the information, the day of the interview was getting closer and closer and she never sent the email i called and emailed her no answer so i just went on the interview date i went in and asked about her and said that i am here for the interview.

after waiting for half hour she called the front disk and asked to talk to me and she was so arrogant and disrespectful

her : oh i never confirmed your appointment you dont just show up like that and HR has the position on hold

me: but you did confirm it over the phone with me

her: no no i will have some one call you in an hour and explain to you

me: wow r you serious you know what i have never been disrespected like that in my life i am not even intrested in working for your company anymore i just want you to know that this is not right and you should treat people like you like to be treated

her: sorry

me: bye

conclusion: arrogant, disrespectful, unorganized

Fsr2 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Redbox in April 2012.

I was contacted by phone from the District Manager a few days after submitting my resume for the posted position. An interview was scheduled to take place at a casual public eatery. Since my Regional manager was on vacation, the District Manager also conducted the interview. The Manager was easy going, and he felt very approachable. After I was offered the position, the hiring process took some time. Expect 2 weeks from the time of the offer before you get to start your first day of employment.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to discribe your ability of good organization and have an example of how capable your are for attention to detail.   Answer Question
    There really wasn't a negotiation, the amount verbally offered during the interview was not the amount I was hired at. I started at .50 cents less than verbally offered, since I was unemployed, I stil excepted.

Project Manager, Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Redbox in February 2012.

Contacted by a recruiter at Redbox. Set up a 30 min phone call. She asked me to apply on their online system. Which I thought was odd because I already have. And how would she have gotten my resume otherwise? Clearly shows she did not review my profile in her system. On the initial phone interview with the recruiter she asked me where I went to school. Which also shows she did not read my attached resume nor the application in her system. I also submitted a presentation as an example of my work.

We eventually made appointment for another phone interview with the hiring manager. She was polite and friendly. No oddball questions. But I was given a quick half hour for her to explain the position, ask questions about it, and describe my experience. One of my answers fell a bit flat which was tough to recover over the phone. Would have preferred a face to face. I am a local candidate, so that wouldn't have been an issue for me. Some of my responses to her questions generated a bit of positive surprise on her part, which is again odd because all of this stuff was clearly written on my resume, cv, and the presentation I sent. I definitely thought I deserved to be brought in to a face to face after the second phone screen given my experience was right in line with the two key responsibilities of project management and market research. But as I said before, one of my responses did fall a bit flat as I was unprepared for it. I had to pause.

2 phone interviews. And the next step was to be brought in for a panel interview I believe. If you don't absolutely nail the phone interviews, you won't make it to the next step. But I was a bit put off by the fact that neither the recruiter nor the hiring manager really read through my materials. Especially after I was asked to put in the extra effort to supply a presentation.

Field Service Representative I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Redbox in January 2012.

I applied via Careerbuilder. I was contacted by a recruiter. She did an initial phone interview. Then she set up an phone interview with the ROS. The ROS set up a face to face interview. The RM followed up with a phone interview. The hiring process was typical to any other company.

Interview Questions
    • Very typical interview questions. I did hear anything I haven't heard before.   Answer Question

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Redbox in October 2011.

As a contractor, the interview process is much less rigorous than it is for employees. Generally you will have a phone interview with a manager, then have a group interview with your team, then possibly an additional face to face with your manager.

You may be asked a tricky scenario that you will have to analyze on the spot using a white board. It may be technical or non-technical to demonstrate your analytical skills.

Interview Questions
    • Really nothing too unexpected. Primarily they are looking to make sure you fit in with the culture of the team. If they are command and control team they want a very structured person, if the team is more dynamic they are looking for someone that can be autonomous and deal with a more unstructured team. You will need to feel out the team to see if it's a good fit for you.   Answer Question
    I worked thru a sub-contractor. I was able to negotiate a few more dollars regarding my hourly rate than what was initially presented.

General Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Redbox in January 2011.

Very chaotic. Learned about posting from a recruiter. Was contacted intially by phone by HR. Very basic questions about background, interest. Took alot of emails to set up a time to talk. No follow-up until 1 month later with an email from hiring mgr. Discussion went well, invited to interview with Mgr. and teammates. HR called to change time day before. Went to interview and hiring mgr. was 'not available'. Waited 45 minutes until next round of panel interviews by different biz areas. Overall, smart group with an aggressive desire to be on the leading edge of technology.

Pros-Seemed like dedicated, fun group of people to work with.
    Cons- Very disorganized and not respectful of the canidates time or courtesy of a reply for inquiries. Most companies respond back, even if you are not the canidate of choice.

Interview Questions
    • How could you add value to the current needs?   View Answer

Level I Machine Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Redbox in December 2010.

My initial contact with HR was a phone screen in late November of 2010. My interview was scheduled for December 27th, and afterward I did not receive any further notification until the beginning of March. I had e-mailed a supervisor in the Machine Support department, but they said everything was in the hands of HR and I had to wait. I received a letter stating my start date would be March 14th, but then I received a call from HR saying that date was moved to March 21st.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were directed more towards my technical experience and any difficult issues I had faced with customers. They weren't particularly difficult or extremely technical.   Answer Question
    I was unable to negotiate. The starting pay for this position is the same for each applicant.

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Redbox in September 2010.

I was contacted by a recruiter from redbox about some newly opened software development positions on the client team. This particular team is responsible for all the software that runs on the actual redbox boxes across the country. During this time I was actively interviewing with other companies in various stages of interview processes and made the redbox recruiter aware of my time constraint considering I may be getting other offers soon. I was scheduled to do an on-site interview soon after.

To the interview I wore a suit although it became apparent after walking through the office to the interview destination that the office culture was extremely casual in terms of dress and, in hindsight, overall, which was extremely relieving to me as I'd just come from the stiff and formal financial sector culture of my previous position.

I first met with the VP of software who had me describe my previous projects in great detail, asking me to whiteboard their architecture, high level UML diagrams of workflow between systems. He then asked me some technical questions, mostly high level and related to RESTful web services. After I spoke with him, the two most senior members of the client team came in. They asked for a brief summary of my previous work and since I'd already outlined my most complicated project on the whiteboard in the interview with the VP that portion was brief. I was then asked to look at a printout of some C# code with LINQ, to walk through it line by line and note the values of variables as the code progressed. The only gotcha there was the nature of LINQs deferred evaluation. After the tech screen they asked me why I wanted to work there and why what made me an ideal candidate. I didn't name salary until the very end, in the interest of negotiation.

I felt the interview went well and sure enough on the drive home the recruiter called me and said that they were interested in hiring me, interested enough that they wanted to negotiate salary right now. I wont go into figures, but I will say that they were very accommodating to the upper limit of my range without much fuss at all. I verbally accepted the offer, was emailed the offer letter and benefits packaged, signed, and started 2 weeks later.

The day I started I was shown to my desk near the rest of the team, all of whom were happy to see me, they were very inviting. The team was small, 6-7 people, and communication was open, I really couldn't have asked for a better team, skill wise and also personality wise. Coming in to work in the morning never seemed like a drag, and the team communicated on a highly technical and also personally human level.

I received brand new hardware that very day by delivery. I wont go into the specs, but I will say they were maxed out were it counts for dev, brand new dual LCDs too. The company at the time was doing quite well in the market and they did seem grateful about it accomodating us with hardware, events, benefits and perks.

The system is complicated, it took a good 6 months to really feel comfortable with it and about a year to become expert.

Great company, my only real qualm was the amount of contractors they would hire and the turnaround rate for them. It made it so that the FTEs constantly had to train them, and once they'd become proficient they left and we had to retrain. I believe one of the senior management staff responsible for these decisions had recently left, so it may be better now in that respect.

Interview Questions
    • This is a Microsoft shop, MSDN licenses and all, so expect a lot of .NET Framework questions, the only point that caught me up was when I was asked to manually evaluated some variables assigned to LINQ statements, which uses the concept of deferred execution so although the LINQ statements may change, their return value may not actually change until a it's absolutely necessary for the statement to be executed, google it.   Answer Question
    lasted only a few hours and the upper limit of my range was met without much hassle, one of the easiest negotiations I've been through.

Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Redbox in September 2010.

very long process. First 3 phone screens, then face to face with ROS and possibly RM. Then background check that sometimes takes 3 weeks. After passing urine test for drugs paperwork is completed. Usually takes a total of about 2 to 3 months.

Interview Questions
    no negotiation at all. Pay was offered accept it or move on.

Regional Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Redbox in July 2010.

I was contacted by the recruiter after applying online. I had a total of four phone screenings. I then was asked to go the IL for the panel intereview. My advice to anyone applying for a field position is to make sure to make your driving record and your background is good. I had to decline the offer due to me having a speeding ticket.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle managing field reps that work indepently?   Answer Question

Because of a speeding ticket.