Redfin Interview Questions

2.8

Associate Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Redfin in May 2014.

Very difficult hiring process. Don't know when you will know if you are hired or not. Main person in charge of interviewing was not very clear on their objective.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are more complex than actual job skills required to be successful at job.   Answer Question

Marketing Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Redfin in June 2014.

I applied online through the website with resume and cover letter. I received an email a week later to schedule a phone interview with a Recruiter the following week. After the initial interview I was asked to complete an "assignment" (Please describe three ideas for systematically improving Redfin’s service to home-sellers), which would be reviewed by the CEO, who then would decide if he wanted to meet with me for a second interview. After I emailed my assignment to the recruiter I waited 10 days before I heard back. At that time I was informed that this position would no longer be reporting to the CEO and would instead be reporting to the Marketing Department. I had a phone interview the following week with a representative in the Marketing Department. The interviewer was very condescending and seemed annoyed that they even had to interview me. They didn't ask anything about my background and didn't even acknowledge or thank me for the ideas I had taken the time to submit (which they must have liked if they called back for a second interview). I thought it was a slap in the face for them to ask me to do work and provide ideas for them at no cost and not even get recognized for my efforts. It seemed as though they had already filled the position but had to interview me because the interview was already scheduled. Until that interview, I've never had an interview with someone (from any company) who showed so little interest in me as a candidate. The interview was scheduled for 45 minutes and the interviewer was off the phone with me within 20 minutes. It was toward the end of the business day and they acted as though they had better things to be doing. The interviewer did not represent Redfin well and could not answer basic questions I had about Redfin marketing practices. Based off my experience and the reviews of others, it seems that Redfin is hiring for manager positions from within, but using the recruiting process as a way to get marketing ideas and work done from outside candidates for free. If you are applying for any kind of marketing position at Redfin I would recommend you wait until you are offered a position before performing work or providing them with your ideas. The entire process was quite ridiculous and unnecessarily dragged on (4 weeks for just 2 interviews). I also found it odd that they conduct more than one interview over the telephone. I live less than 2 blocks from their office and think it would be more professional to have in-person interviews, especially with local candidates. Their marketing department and recruiting team need to work together to make the recruiting process more systematic.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, but the interviewer was very condescending and seemed annoyed that she had to interview me.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Redfin.

Started with a video-chat phone screen; then an onsite interview. Over the course of a day had 4 different interviews with 4 different engineers. The recruiting process was great, extremely accommodating, and understanding!

Interview Questions

While it was great compensation, I felt like the company didn't really have the same drive and flare as many startups ought to. Employees didn't push themselves as hard and not as passionate about the product.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Applied online, and got a skype interview. Then did an in-person interview with 4 or 5 separate people. We talked about portfolio, background, and what about the field interests me. It was exhausting, around 4+ hours total, but almost everyone was very easy to talk to. Within a week I received an offer, and communicating with HR was a breeze.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was if I'd worked with developers before and what sort of technical experience I had in that realm.   Answer Question

New Grad Software Developer (Full Stack) - Seattle Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Redfin in May 2014.

I applied through their website and got contacted by their recruiter for initial screening.
    The initial screening was mostly about the culture of the company as well as culture of the team. There was one very easy technical question.

Then I got contacted by the recruiter to talk a little more about why choosing Redfin and getting to know me! (Which I believe should have been done in the first place).

I got a full day interview with two teams. 7 interviewers!!! It was SO LONG and frustrating. But nothing too easy or too difficult. During full-day interview I found out that this is NOT what I am looking for.

I believe they need to have more "mature" interview procedure!!! Their recruiter as well as some of the interviewers were not mature enough to represent the company very well! I asked very simple questions to get a better idea of company that they were not prepared to answer me which brings me a "RED FLAG"!!! I think they were not sure about causes of some of the problems they had. Or even when I asked about potential problems that a company like Redfin might have faced, they did not know what to say.

Associate Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Redfin in January 2014.

I applied via a Craigslist ad. After passing a phone interview I was interviewed by two agents and managers. The process was somewhat in-depth. They do not want to hire the wrong type of people.

Real Estate Tour Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Redfin in November 2013.

Recruiter contacts you, sets up a phone interview, if you pass that, you meet representatives face to face in a public place. I met with three representatives at a Starbucks, two of whom were over a half an hour late-

Interview Questions
    • The questions were of the stock variety, along the lines of: Describe how you overcame a difficult situation in your current job-   Answer Question

Marketing Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Redfin.

I applied online with a resume and cover letter through the web site. HR response was quick and efficient - phone interview with recruiter, phone interview with the person I would report to, then a 4.5 hour in-office interview with several folks, another in-person interview with a VP almost a month later. References checked before VP interview. Then a two-week wait before I was asked to come in for ANOTHER interview (after being told the VP was the last one) but this time, I was given work to do for an existing situation (not hypothetical work). I was very hesitant to do work for free that was for an existing company initiative without having the job. However, because I really wanted the job and knew I was hands-down the best candidate, I went above and beyond with my work. I had to come in and present to the same VP, the person I would report to, and someone who was on their second day of the job. The VP and the other person only had 20 minutes for me, even though I was told I got two hours. So I had to race through the presentation. After they left, (taking my proprietary work product with them) the remaining person raved about my work, made notes all over a schedule I had not intended to leave behind, and then asked to keep it when I tried to leave with it.

Ultimately, I did not receive an offer and got no constructive feedback other than "we decided to go with someone more 'technical'" and "everyone really liked you and totally wanted to hang out with you". I was incredibly disappointed as I admire this company very much and the job was tailor-made for my skills and experience. In fact, throughout most of the interview process, they were asking ME what they should be doing in many situations, asking for creative references, and soliciting my opinions. I don't think you interview someone for that long and go through that many rounds and then say you want someone more 'technical'. Additionally, they then contacted my references to tell them they did not offer me a position, which I thought odd and unprofessional.

Since this happened I have heard a few other stories of recruitment gone awry with people I know who have interviewed. I hope they get this system down as they are missing out on a lot of smart people who have a lot to offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected, outside of being asked to do work for free that they took without giving me the job.   Answer Question

Senior Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Redfin in May 2014.

4 interviews total: 1st contact recruiter phone interview, 2nd team lead, 3rd market manager, and 4th Agent. Asked about background in real estate, a time you thought out of the box to delight a client. Why Redfin? Customer advocacy, transparency and doing the right thing were topics mentioned repeatedly. Familiarity of the Redfin model was tested.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a difficult client or situation. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Redfin in February 2014.

Contacted via company's portal. Was called to meet the hiring manager at the Redfin office. I went there thinking it wasn't a screening interview. Boy, I was wrong. The hiring manager talked about the team and then asked for a coding exercise. I thought I did reasonable in the coding but was told they didn't see a good fit.

Worked for Redfin? Contribute to the Community!