Redfin

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Marketing Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Redfin in June 2014.

I applied online through the website with resume and cover letter. I received an email a week later to schedule a phone interview with a Recruiter the following week. After the initial interview I was asked to complete an "assignment" (Please describe three ideas for systematically improving Redfin’s service to home-sellers), which would be reviewed by the CEO, who then would decide if he wanted to meet with me for a second interview. After I emailed my assignment to the recruiter I waited 10 days before I heard back. At that time I was informed that this position would no longer be reporting to the CEO and would instead be reporting to the Marketing Department. I had a phone interview the following week with a representative in the Marketing Department. The interviewer was very condescending and seemed annoyed that they even had to interview me. They didn't ask anything about my background and didn't even acknowledge or thank me for the ideas I had taken the time to submit (which they must have liked if they called back for a second interview). I thought it was a slap in the face for them to ask me to do work and provide ideas for them at no cost and not even get recognized for my efforts. It seemed as though they had already filled the position but had to interview me because the interview was already scheduled. Until that interview, I've never had an interview with someone (from any company) who showed so little interest in me as a candidate. The interview was scheduled for 45 minutes and the interviewer was off the phone with me within 20 minutes. It was toward the end of the business day and they acted as though they had better things to be doing. The interviewer did not represent Redfin well and could not answer basic questions I had about Redfin marketing practices. Based off my experience and the reviews of others, it seems that Redfin is hiring for manager positions from within, but using the recruiting process as a way to get marketing ideas and work done from outside candidates for free. If you are applying for any kind of marketing position at Redfin I would recommend you wait until you are offered a position before performing work or providing them with your ideas. The entire process was quite ridiculous and unnecessarily dragged on (4 weeks for just 2 interviews). I also found it odd that they conduct more than one interview over the telephone. I live less than 2 blocks from their office and think it would be more professional to have in-person interviews, especially with local candidates. Their marketing department and recruiting team need to work together to make the recruiting process more systematic.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing too difficult, but the interviewer was very condescending and seemed annoyed that she had to interview me.   Answer Question