Redgate Software Interview Questions

Updated Jun 12, 2015

3.5

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Redgate Software.

Interview

1. Phone Chat 2. Technical Assessment in addition to two case studies and a sales role play 3. Behavioral Interview The sales team is looking for a particular type of person who knows about consultative sales esp. SPIN selling. The interview was difficult but a great learning experience!

Software Sales Person Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Redgate Software.

Interview

The interviews are casual, but very thorough. It is important to the company that you fit into the culture and have drive and motivation to succeed. Eagerness to learn and better yourself is also important. There are 3 interviews total, one phone screen and two in-person interviews. The phone interview will go over your previous experience, why you want to work at this company, and why you want the position. It is also to screen your phone manner. The first in-person interview will go more in-depth about your previous experience and how you apply your experience to the position. It is also very much about personality at this point and what kind of management style you work best in. The second in-person interview will include a presentation, where HR gives you a question ahead of time and you must demonstrate the ability to clearly articulate technical knowledge. This presentation also tests your ability to learn technical knowledge and how you present this knowledge. Make sure you are able to go in-depth with your previous experience if need be--they will catch any/all BS that you make up by continuously asking follow-up questions if they think you're lying. It is important that you ask questions and be yourself in these interviews as that is critically important to this company when hiring anyone.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this position? Why Red Gate?   2 Answers

Head of Sales Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Redgate Software.

Interview

Not practicing what they preach. Not as open and transparent as they project themselves to be. Felt like an incumbent that is very hard to enter. Contradicting messages during and after interview. Initially greeted with the person who is currently doing the role and first thing he told me was that I'm invalidating his role!

Interview Questions

• Phone with HR then phone with 2 different members then 6 F2F interviews, none of them with the hiring manager despite the seniority of the role.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Redgate Software.

Interview

I applied through their website, and first off it took them 2 weeks to just hear back from them for the first time. After scheduling a phone interview, I was told that I'd have a half hour talk with two people, and that there would be nothing specific for me to prepare beforehand. On the day of the phone call, one of the people who I was told would be there wasn't, and they had replaced that person with someone else. It was an intense phone interview, and completely contradicted what they had said about not requiring any specific preparation beforehand. The interviewers didn't answer any questions I had about the company very well, and kept bouncing the questions back to me - asking me why I wanted to know the details I was asking for. (My questions were as simple as 'Do you have a User Research Team?' and before answering me, they asked me why I wanted to know the answer to that in detail, and even turned that question into an interview) Overall, I wasn't happy with the interview, and the fact that the HR team had mentioned that no preparation would be required was extremely misleading, when clearly they expected the candidate to be extremely well prepared for the interview. Replacing interviewers at the last minute should be informed, as the candidates would have done a lot of research about the people interviewing them as well. I think they need to improve their communication with candidates better.

Interview Questions

• Nothing specific, but if you're going to be asking them questions, then be prepared to first justify your question before you can even consider receiving an answer from them. Not a very people friendly attitude.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Redgate Software (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

1) CV and covering letter 2) Easy practice programming task in either Java or C# 3) Interview with 2 developers, mostly technical questions. Office tour afterwards Questions were not hard, you just need to show your thinking process by thinking aloud. Also, it is not a problem if you make a mistake or stuck, they guide you a bit. All in all, application process is really fast and enjoyable.

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Redgate Software (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in June 2013.

Interview

Hiring process was very good, After submitting my CV I was contacted by HR. First phase is a telephone interview. I passed this stage (no trick questions) just a general chat. I was sent details about the face to face interview and I also had to prepare a presentation. Th topic was chosen by the interviewers. The face to face interview was with 2 inside sales reps. They were very friendly and open. I presented the topic using PowerPoint. Then out of the blue, they gave me a competency based task. They would phone me as a prospective customer and I was to help guide the customer. They left me with 3 sheets of paper each containing products, one sheet contained 4 makes of i pads, the second sheet contained 4 models of mobile phones, the last sheet were projectors i think (i can't quite remember). They gave me time to digest the products. They left the room and and one of them called me on the phone as a customer wanting to buy an ipad. I was a little bamboozled by all the features of the different models of ipad so I really fumbled at this point. I am not an ipad user. The trick is to slow down and conduct a solution sell & questioning. Anyway I thought I did alright. I must admit I was a little thrown off at this point because i was not expecting a competency based task. Then we finished the interview.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Redgate Software (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in October 2012.

Interview

After having passed the CV stage, you will be sent an assessment. Don't rush this, as you only get 1 chance to impress. All communication was performed via email (very helpful). After the assessment you will get a 1st interview at the headquarters. The interview will be around 45 minutes, but they say it may last longer (I expect good candidates take longer). You will be expected to perform white board coding - you will need to be good at this and explain your code (you are not expected to write perfect code, however they will be expecting you to explain everything). Personally, I stumbled at this point, and I didn't impress.

Interview Questions

• A question about the workings of the string library (can't remember fully now).   Answer Question

Graduate User Experience SPecialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Redgate Software (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in February 2012.

Interview

Red gate seems like a great place to work, and I interviewed for their Graduate UXD position, as its a fairly rare job to find, and its what I want to shape my career in. I don't come from a strictly design / UX background, so I was excited to have made it through the initial screening - cv check, portfolio and a simple exercise to design a website for a company starting a new service. This was intentionally vague (drinks company in my case), but I seemed to get along fine, thought I did a good job. Got throughly grilled at the interview though, and the interviewers managed to find me contradict myself in every sentence. If I claimed one of the fundamentals of good UX is consistency, I got shot down by being told that it would stop innovation. True, but any 'rule' always has exceptions. 90% of the time consistency is probably more important than shaking things up, imo! - Was given a 15min exercise to redesign an excel dialog box. - Standard questions like: Why UX when your background is X? What are your rules in UX? - Whats your definition of a good website? Anyway, just carefully word every answer you give, because you might just get a rough interviewer. I think I may have ticked one of them off at the first sentence though (oops!)

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Redgate Software (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in March 2011.

Interview

I sent a CV and covering letter, but I received nothing in response for a week, so I sent a follow-up email. The next day they sent me a coding exercise to complete. It was suggested that it would take around 2 hours to complete, and it did. It involved writing code to solve a problem that was well defined and somewhat challenging. A few days after sending the exercise back I got invited to an interview. This was held 10 days later by two software developers in their twenties. The interview involved whiteboard coding - not completely trivial stuff, but also not trick questions. They asked about previous projects I had been involved with, and about dependency injection, and about testing. They seemed to be trying to gain an understanding of how I approached software development, but they did not seem to have looked at the code I had written for their exercise - this was apparently the job of somebody else. I asked about: - Their work-flow: it seemed reasonable (they said they use scrum). - Code Reviews: did not seem important to them (they said they were "just trusted to get on with it"), although they said they did some pair-programming. - Their office: they gave me a tour - it was nice, open plan but not noisy. I stumbled over some of the technical questions they gave me, and I got the feeling the interviewers were not impressed, so I was not surprised two weeks later when they emailed to say I had not been successful. It seemed like an interesting place to work, overall, but not perfect. I got the feeling I prepared more for the interview then the interviewers, and they were sometimes slow answering emails.

Interview Questions

• How might you use dependency injection to test some business code that sends emails.   Answer Question

Scrun Master Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Redgate Software (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in January 2011.

Interview

Telephone interview followed by normal interview