Reel FX

Updated Aug 28, 2014

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Reel FX

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Reel FX.

I've heard the process can be long and drawn out but that wasn't my experience. I sent over my resume, had an interview the next day and was offered the job that afternoon. The Artist Manager was in the room as well as the Show Producer. The interview lasted about 20 minutes and I was asked about my willingness to work late hours but they did ensure me that it was more of a family focused company and that they try to allow employees to have a life and not work themselves to death. I was given a tour of the facility after the interview which was my cue that I had the job (but isn't always the case).

Interview Questions
    • What is my favorite animated movie? It was only difficult since I had come from a live-action background and never really cared for animation.   Answer Question
    They weren't that willing to negotiate, but I was coming in as a PA. I asked for more and I ended up with a 10% increase from the initial offer. I have heard that the higher ups (Editors, Line Producers, Animation Leads) can pretty much name their price and get it.

3D Animator Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Reel FX in February 2013.

Process was easy, the Santa Monica office was having a job fair and I attended. Reel FX was dying for seasoned animators to work on Freebirds and as my studio had just gone bankrupt I needed a job. The offer was presented by the animation manager that day and although the rate was below what I had been making I needed a job so I said yes. I got the job but I do kind of feel like they were taking advantage of a bad situation though. They knew we were all scared and shocked about our studio filing BK and just snapped us up. It'd been cool if they said they'd pay us what we had been making but I and the others who got jobs took big pay cuts.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was done by one of the animation supervisors and lasted no longer than ten minutes. I had years of feature animation on my reel and it was pretty much a go after I met with him.   View Answer
    They offered. I counter-offered. They said no. I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Reel FX in March 2011.

The process was very strange. I met with a senior producer for 5 minutes before she sent me off to meet several other unprepared individuals. They seemed unaware that I was coming and had nothing to ask me. I found myself asking each of them the same questions I had written down. The interviewee never followed up with me even after I called and emailed for an update to my disappointment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Reel FX in January 2011.

I was called by the Artist Manager only a few weeks after applying online. I was asked to come in for an interview on a weekday morning. I met with 3 individuals (producers) from various projects currently in production. They asked general questions about my previous work experience and my experience/interest in animation. It's a very laid back environment. I was over-dressed with a tie. Pants and a button-up would do fine.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate but I know that they do negotiate with incoming employees, even bottom of the ladder, entry-level positions. It's good to negotiate for a higher rate as this is a company established in the commercial industry, and under-bidding is common.

Modeler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Reel FX in October 2010.

Just had a phone interview for 20 minutes. talked about starts dates, and projects. Nothing to hard question.

Interview Questions
    After interview, two week later. offered me three months contract position.

Technical Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Reel FX in January 2010.

I was actually already working in house as a temporary employee; After performing well I was told of a new position opening for upcoming projects and was told I would be a good fit. I submitted my Resume and had an informal interview with a few of the people in charge of the position.

Interview Questions
    There was room to negotiate, although I was very satisified with what I was offered and didn't require and further bartering.