Regeneron Pharmaceuticals

www.regeneron.com
  www.regeneron.com

Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Protein Chemistry Group Research Associate Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Protein Chemistry Group Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tarrytown, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tarrytown, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals in January 2010.

Recently graduated with a Masters in Biochemistry (2 yr program)

I posted my resume on Regeneron's website back in September of 2009 and applied to 6 or 7 jobs related to protein biochemistry. I didn't hear anything beyond "thanks for applying, we'll get back to you if your skills/qualifications closely match what we are looking for". Waited a month and contacted a friend who works there as an administrative assistant who referred me as part of their employee referral program. Another month went by with no contact from Regeneron. Finally I discovered a family friend who is a lawyer for Regeneron and had my resume walked to the hiring managers office. Two weeks later I was contacted by a delightful woman who I believe works at their recruiting firm, Kenexa, based in Pennsylvania. She asked me three hard science questions related to protein biochemistry, which I nailed. She also asked me what salary I desired, to which I responded with a very broad range so as to maximize my appeal (+/- 10K based on industry averages for this type of position).

Having passed this first test a second phone interview was scheduled. One month later I had my second phone interview with a Ph.D who asked me roughly twenty questions related to my research, my resume and core protein biochemistry knowledge. Luckily, I had spent the week prior to the interview studying and reviewing these things. Aside from one question about a specific amino acid (it's Proline!), I answered them with ease. At the end of the interview I asked my interviewer 3 or 4 questions about the group and the company. I followed up the next day with a thank you letter, and one week later with an "I'm still interested, enthused, etc" letter, both emailed to my interviewer.

Two weeks went by with no rumblings from Regeneron. I called my recruiter who seemed surprised that I had not been contacted about a face-to-face interview yet. She calls the hiring manager at Regeneron who tells her that they'd like to bring me and 9 others in for interviews. At this point I'm just relieved to know that I'm on the "short list". Another week went by and nothing, very frustrating. I called my recruiter again and she gave me the phone number of the hiring manager at Regeneron. I called him and left a nice message saying how interested I am in the position and that I'm looking forward to a face-to-face, etc. The next day I received an email from an admin. assistant detailing when and where the interview will take place (2 weeks later, in Tarrytown at Regeneron). Right now I am preparing for my interview which will consist of 3.5 hs of interviews with various members of the group.

I was shocked at how long the process took from initial contact to getting a face-to-face interview, over 8 weeks. Maybe this is normal as I am new to the experience. I hope this helps anyone trying to get an interview with Regeneron.

Interview Questions
  • Why is ammonium sulfate used for precipitating out proteins instead of sodium chloride?   Answer Question