Reitmans

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

2.7

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Reitmans in April 2014.

well, i was shopping with my mom and i was building her outfits and the manager asked me to apply and so i said yes. A week later i got a call asking me for an interview so the i went and there was a long list of questions that the manager asked me and i guess i did well cause she asked me to come again the following week for s floor interview and so i had to pretend i worked there for an hours and it was really scary considering i hadn't gotten any training what so ever but i guess i did pretty well cause a week later i got the call saying they hired me and i was thriled.

Interview Questions
    • what to do when your coworker is on break, your doing a return at the cash, two people walk in and the phone is ringing?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Reitmans.

I responded to an add put on the Carlingwood Shopping Centre website in Ottawa. I went in personally and filled out an application in the store. I received a call a week later, asking me if I was still interested and scheduling an interview. The questions were pretty standard: discuss a team situation that didn't go according to plan?, what is your retail experience?, why do you want to work for Reitman's?, do you have any experience with styling (yourself included)? The rest of the questions were about availability, salary expectations and career goals.

Interview Questions
    • Put together an outfit and then model it.   View Answer
    I didn't try to negotiate. It was a seasonal position and I already had another job. I just wanted some extra cash over the holiday season.

Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Reitmans.

1st interview was a lets meet for coffee with the dsm, was asked "walk me through your résumé". She bought me a coffee and we sat in food court. I did most of the talking, she occasionally asking me to elaborate on specifics from my résumé. No behavioural questions until the 2 nd interview in my case, but usually does happen within structure of a first interview. She told me about the job: expectations, dress code,policy re: hrs to work , benefits , challenges of the job. While casual and informal in manner and location maintained professional demeanour . Was given a mystery type assessment to complete at any of their locations and bring to 2nd interview. At that point I was asked to explain my observations and comments. Also answered the official interview questions she had on a form. Basic what would you do in this situation and why. Candidates must show fashion flair, knowledge of trends, a can- do attitude, collaborative, team building aptitude.

Interview Questions
    • Why should I hire you over other candidates I am seeing? Why do you want to leave your present job? How would you handle an under performing associate? Have you ever let anyone go, why and when.   View Answer
    There is room to negotiate, but they have a scale per position based on sales volume. Your ability to negotiate is based on your current and past salary history and the sales volume of the location you are interviewing for. Plus your level of experience at that level.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dartmouth, NS (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dartmouth, NS (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Reitmans in May 2013.

I dropped off my resume with the assistant manager and lucked out by getting an interview on the spot. The interview was easier than I expected and the person who did the interview made me feel very comfortable. Some of the questions they asked was "what do you like to do for fun" "How would you spend your first 15 minutes of your shift" "How would you increase sales to meet the daily quota" "How would you establish a relationship with your customer" "What would you do if a customer tried on a pair of pants that you noticed looked bad/ were too tight" .. there was other questions but I can't remember them. She also got me to choose an outfit that I could wear to school and then work as well as some personal questions about my resume and work experience

Interview Questions
    • "It is a busy day and you are taking care of a client, the phone is ringing and two new customers just walked in. You need help and your coworker is in the back room. What would you do?"   View Answers (2)

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Reitmans.

2 interviews with a DM, very good communication in regards to what the expectations were. Explained all about Reitmans, how they began, who owns and oversees Reitmans. Explained her journey so far with Reitmans,how she got started and how quickly she moved up. The process went quite quickly and I felt that I was needed to make a real change and I would be valuable to the team.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing to difficult, with the experience I have nothing really caught me of guard. I think being prepared going into a interview is the key, be relaxed and take the time to answer if you need it, better to answer it well then to fumble through it.   Answer Question
    Know the market and what its offering for the position your interviewing for. Make sure you know what your minimum is and what you feel is fair.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Reitmans in January 2013.

The interview was conducted by the store manager for part time sales associate positiion in Calgary North Hill centre. It was a 30 minute long question , wherein interviewier asked from a fixed set of questions from a list. Interviewer asked 6 questions. 1. Tell me about yourself 2. Why have you applied for this job? 3. Tell me about a time when you used your persuasion skills to sell something 4. How do you keep up-to-date with fashion trends. 5 you seem to have a lot of technical software experience , how do you think it is related to the job

Interview Questions
    • 1. If a customer speaking with you is not happy with your service and ask to speak to the manager , how would you respond.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Reitmans.

I went online and filled out an application for the store. The interview was done in three stages. One with the Manager, One with Assistant Manager and District Manager. The training provided was adequate. Seven modules.

Interview Questions
    • Pick out an outfit that can be changed from day to night   Answer Question
    minimum

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Reitmans in December 2012.

I came in to leave my resume and fill out a standard application form. I was called back the next day, The Manager told me she would call me back next week for a group interview. I studied very hard and learned a lot about the company.She asked us about why we wanted to work at Reitmans and what my weakness and strengths are. I was asked behavioral questions.

I received a call back in 2 days and was called in to sign their package

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Pearl, NL (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Pearl, NL (Canada)

I applied in-person – interviewed at Reitmans in September 2012.

The store manager interviewed me in a backroom inside the store. It was a very casual, relaxed interview that lasted 30+ minutes. She asked me questions like "What are your best/worst traits?" "What could you bring to our team that would be an asset?" "If a customer tried on something that didn't look good would you tell her?" "What are your reasons for wanting to work at this store?" "How would you describe your style"? And "What would you do to increase sales if the store hadn't met it's daily quota?"
    I answered each question perfectly, she even commented on how good my answers were, I told her I thought the store had a very positive vibe and atmosphere and that was one of several reasons why I wanted to work there. She seemed to like me and pretty much told me the interview went perfect. We even sat down together and she showed me some pics of the fashion trends that the store was about to display in the upcoming months. She then told me not to panic if I didn't get a call back right away because she was going on vacation.
    I left the store thinking I had aced the interview and would get a call. She never called me back. I even (foolishly) turned down other interviews because I thought I would be hired.
    I feel like I was completely misled. I then found out she had done the exact same thing to another person I knew and they also felt like they were going to get hired but didn't.
    I think she should have been more honest and straightforward with her potential employees and not have given the false impression that they would be hired. Turned me off from ever going back there again, even to shop.

Interview Questions
    • "What would you do to increase sales if the store hadn't met it's daily quota?"   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Reitmans in March 2012.

A lot of questions were personal suitability to their current team.
    Some experience was discussed, but I was told it was more about my personality.
    I was asked about how I have or would handle specific situations with staff and customers.

Interview Questions
    • Have you had a customer who was really angry, and how did you handle them?
      Did you just give them what they wanted?

Answer Question
    No negotiation, but got about minimum wage offer with opportunity for a raise at appraisal.