Reliant Energy

11 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Billing Representative Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Reliant Energy in March 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was very quick and efficient, everyone from the people at my staffing agency that set me up with this company to the secondary interview at the job. I would not mind interviewing again for this position.

Interview Question – If you had superpowers, what would they be?   Answer Question

Contractor Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Reliant Energy in May 2012.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with the man who would become my supervisor, and a few days later, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. The in-person interview was confusing but only for the part of getting to the actual office, and if you're unfamiliar with downtown Houston, that's something to consider. But the interview went well, sitting down with my supervisor and a manager from an associated team and then having a test for my editing skills.

Interview Question – If I had a superpower, what would it be?   Answer Question

Senior Information Architect Interview

Senior Information Architect
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Reliant Energy in February 2013.

Interview Details – I was brought in through a contracting agency. Interviewed directly with the hiring manager and was offered a job in less than a weeks time.

Interview Question – None, they really just ask questions about the job and if you can handle certain aspects of the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – All of this had already been handled between me and the agency before going into the interview on pay.

Manager Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and interviewed at Reliant Energy.

Interview Details – The interview process was very structured and seemingly robust. The only issue, though, was that I was contacted regarding the position by multiple HR reps, making communication with HR difficult to know who to contact. The process takes about 4 interview - an initial phone interview with HR, a phone interview with the hiring manger, a face-to-face with several key players for the position you are applying, and then a final interview with the department head.

Perhaps the thing that stood out the most to me was that they truly want to set realistic expectations - with regards to salary, hours, expectations of the job, etc.

All-in-all, everyone seemed very intelligent and made me feel comfortable (except for one of the interviewers, who seemed to try to get me flustered - perhaps to see how I handled pressure and confrontation).

Interview Question – I found it difficult at times to answer the questions, as they borderline touched on confidential information   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Interviewed at Reliant Energy

Interview Details – There was an interview, and there was a skills test administered after a series of interview questions by the manager and one of the coworkers there. After the interview, there was a skills test administered in ordered to test me on the knowledge of the job I would be doing.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

CO-OP Interview

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Reliant Energy in February 2012.

Interview Details – HR did not have the interest to interview me at me at very beginning

Interview Question – what courses you don't like   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

Houston, TX

The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Reliant Energy in March 2012.

Interview Details – Experience with Reliant energy was very unplesant.
I was interviewed for a Programmer position last month over the phone with a hiring manager. And was told in the same call that they would like to bring me in for a face-2-face. I was happy about that and after a couple days later, the HR scheduled the face-2-face with the team a week later. The face-2-face interview went well and received a call a week later saying I will be extended an offer in a couple of days and asked me some basic questions about my current and expected salary and stuff like that. After that, I did not receive a call from them and when I called them back, I was told that most of the people are out of office and so is the delay. It took about 1 month for them to actually place an offer for me after saying that I will be placed an offer. Not just that, once they placed an offer, they asked me what I had in my mind about the offer and when I asked them a few questions about the visa processing and stuff, the HR said they will have to get back to me in a couple days with the answers. Unfortunately, when they called back after a couple of days, I was told that based on what we spoke on the day of offer, the company will no longer be considering you for this position. The answers to my questions were not provided. I was told that they would sponsor the visa, but since I asked them if they can sponsor me in a particular category, they took the offer back, instead of providing me the answer to my questions. This lengthy process took around one-and-half month, and ended up with an unprofessional way of dealing with the job offers. It clearly says that Reliant is unable to sponsor the visa in a category that I requested for, and instead of saying that they took back the offer. This is very unprofessional way of dealing with candidates.

Very Easy Interview

Senior BSA Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Reliant Energy in July 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed with a gentleman who is going to be my direct manager. He was very laid-back, intelligent, and seemingly confident in himself. He was so easy-going and made the process very comfortable. I was informed of the position the preceding Friday via my staffing agency, interviewed the following Monday and extended an offer three days later. It's good to know already my manager does not vacillate.

Negotiation Details – N/A

Financial Analyst- Small Business Division Interview

Houston, TX

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Reliant Energy in April 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online and wa invited for a phone interview initially. This graduated to a face-to-face interview with 4 people over a 3 hour interview at their office the following week. They seem to like working with one another but are evidently encountering some resistance from some employees in other departments who do not want to provide critical information in a timely matter. I was asked 4 times "How do you deal with difficult people?" Their questions were very indicative of the recent purchase of Reliant by NRG.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult people?   View Answer
  • What skills do you have regarding collecting data from various sources and slicing and dicing it for reports and management presentations?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I was sent an offer of employment via FedEx on Monday morning and told to provide my response to them by Wednesday. I requested to have an additional 2 days to review the offer and was told "No, we would need a legitimate business reason for that. Also we require you to have the drug test completed by Friday."
In my opinion, this level of inflexibility and cavalier attitude is indicative of the company culture and I wonder to myself " If they treat me like this BEFORE I accept a position with them, tehn HOW might they treat me afterwards?" I had other plans for Thursday and Friday, outside of Houston, and had no intention of being bullied into cancelling my plans to take a drug test at their last minute whim.

Customer Service/Sales Interview

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Reliant Energy in July 2012.

Interview Details – So I called when I saw the ad in the paper. Drove over to Houston, to a staffing agency. This is a joke. The guy was locked out of the recruiting office first. Then we people started asking questions we founf out they want you to do door-to-door sales. BUT if you are not interested in that you can always go through the training for business-to-business. YOU have to come for 4 days of training NOT PAID and then go to the business yourself. STAY AWAY!

Interview Question – They dont tell you everything on the phone when you call to set up a time   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Reliant Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Reliant Energy interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Reliant Energy employees and interview candidates.