Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Interview Questions

Updated Jul 8, 2014

2.8

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

You MUST be an enrolled student at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Simply contact a professor, whose field of research or specific project is of interest to you, via email or in-person at their respective office. Definitely provide a resume and cover letter and express your interest in their subject. Most likely, they will ask questions about your experiences and goals (almost an informal interview). It is not difficult to get a position.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation for salary. You only discuss your schedule.

Graduate Student Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Apply and receive letter of acceptance or denial. They will most likely fly you out to the university to meet with some of their staff and show research, this is less and interview and more of an introduction and persuasion effort on their part.

No negotiation.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

long process of application process. But the student manager is very helpful to solve problems. Graduate School is hard to deal with, they can be very picky.

Research Assistant Interview

Basically it was an admission process based on undergrad CGPA, GRE and TOEFL score.

No negotiation

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in August 2013.

Super easy to get research if you are willing to ask.

Director In A Student Services Role Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in July 2013.

The initial process was through a search firm, beginning with a 45 minute phone interview that was very conversational and provided good insight into the organization. I was then invited to a video conference interview with the hiring manager and high ranking person in HR, after which I was invited to campus. I declined that interview based on information gleaned in the video interview

Interview Questions
    • There were no particularly difficult question. The HR guy was very focused on early details in my resume, which no one has asked me about in years, so that was a bit surprising. I recommend that anyone interviewing for a mid-upper level position carefully review their resume and prepare to discuss experiences that may be 15-20 years old.   Answer Question
    • Describe your experience with philanthropy   View Answer

I was offered the next step in the process, an on-campus interview. Because of the time involved in a full-day interview and the fact that I had growing reservations about the position, I decided to heed my instincts and withdraw.

Principal Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in April 2013.

Met with the project leader, who asked me about my motivations and interests in the projects he was heading. He assessed basic mathematics and physics skills to make sure I had the potential to fulfill the requirements within the allotted time frame

Bartender At Clubhouse Pub Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in August 2012.

There was no interview process, I submitted an application, came in for an interview, and ended up training on the spot. Training included watching instructional videos on the correct way to pour types of beer. There was likely a behavioral interview of sorts taking place, but most hires were done via word of mouth and so most of that had been taken care of beforehand.

Interview Questions
    • Correct technique to pouring Guinness. It really was not a hard job.   Answer Question
    No negotiations, just fighting for shifts.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in October 2011.

Interviewed twice.

Interview Questions
    • What is your stongest and weakest assets.   View Answer
    Take it or leave it. No negotiation was allowed.

Technology Analyst Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in October 2009.

Initially, I was very nervous to go on this interview as a number of my friends at school had undergone the process and not been offered positions. The interview consisted of three thirty-minute interviews plus a group exercise. I was there from about 11:30am until 5pm. I think overall, the interview was challenging. Be ready to answer many behavioral-based questions.