Rent-A-Center Assistant Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

1.7

Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rent-A-Center (Jackson, MS) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and roughly a week later had a one on one interview, followed by a interview with the DM. I was offered the job the same day. Overall it was a very easy interview and I had a positive outlook on the company after it.

Interview Questions

• Just overall questions about managerial experience and retail.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Rent-A-Center

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Rent-A-Center (New Brunswick, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

very swift. 1 day. took drug test . got hired in 3 days' had observation day. accepted offer. i was placed a a store close to my home. im very happy

Interview Questions

• where do you want to be in 5 years. why do you want to work here   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Rent-A-Center.

Interview

Career Fair, not really asked anything. The company is in real need of employees.

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rent-A-Center (Tucson, AZ) in April 2013.

Interview

Horrible job..................................................................it was a joke. So boring they dont even care if you go in with baggy cloths that have wholes. You work for a bunch of thugs. What else can i say bad people horrible industry.

Anonymous Employee in Carolina, PR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rent-A-Center (Carolina, PR) in January 2013.

Interview

First I was contacted by phone and was asked if interested on a interview, I accepted and was given a interview for two days later that day I went to a store and was interviewed for 20 minutes then 1 day later they called me to say that I was chosen for the job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rent-A-Center (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2012.

Interview

I applied online via indeed and was contacted by two recruiters within an hour of each other. The first set me up for an interview for an Assistant Manager, the second set me up for an interview as a Store Manager Trainee... both on the same day, at the same time, and in the same building. I met with the District Manager after she, another District Manager, and a third party were 15 minutes late for the appointment, as they were all having lunch together. The very first thing I noticed when I walked in the store was that the associate working was very unkempt and ungroomed, his pants were not around his waste and his dress shirt was not tucked in. I found out during the interview that he was the Store Manager of that location. I digress... the interview itself went well, and she was without a doubt the most pleasant person during this entire process. She seemed to like her job and the company, and apparently she liked me as well because she set me up for a second interview with a Store Manager at a different location. During the second interview, I traveled to another store and met up with a gentleman who said he had been with the company for 13 years and explained his experiences. He asked more situational type questions and this interview lasted a bit longer. He must have also liked what I had to offer, because I was phoned for a third interview... this time at a store 30 minutes away. I met with another District Manager for the third interview, who said he wouldn't shake my hand because he had a virus. My initial thought was, "Why would you be doing interviews and possibly passing a virus to potential candidates in the first place?" Anyway, he boasted that both people I interviewed with thought that I was a wonderful candidate, and after some basic discussion, he verbally offered the position at $39,000 to start. I felt that considering what the job was, this was a decent starting wage. I told him that would be fine to bring me aboard initially and he said that he would need to contact his boss to contact me, because that is much more than they normally pay the position. We then discussed if there were any stores closer to my house. He explained that the territory surrounding my place was controlled by the first DM that I met with and if I wanted he would contact her with what we talked about and she would fit me into one of her stores. He assured me that I would receive coorespondence that evening. An entire week went by, and I didn't hear anything. I attempted to call that third store back and was given the runaround by the Store Manager. I called again the next day and the same Store Manager told me that he was told my information was given to the other District Manager and she would call me. Another week went by and nothing. I called the initial recruiter back and she assured me that DM1 was on vacation the previous week and would call me that evening. No call. I called the recruiter back again the next day and she would not return my voicemail. Overall, this was one of the most disorganized and disfunctional experiences I have ever seen.

Interview Questions

• Does it bother you that our clientele are generally lower-class people?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Rent-A-Center (Mesa, AZ) in February 2012.

Interview

Apply online. Initial interview is with store manager and district manger. Bring a one page consolidated copy of your resume. You do get a half day observation of the work day processes.

Interview Questions

• Will your attitude towards kindness for all of your customer base change?   1 Answer

Negotiation

If you qualify you can go in as a credit or sales manager.

Anonymous Employee in Lynwood, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Rent-A-Center (Lynwood, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

I walked in as a customer looking to buy a tv and was told by one of the employees they were hiring. i came back in dressed profesionaly and with my resume, the store manager looked over it and asked if i had time for a small interview i agreed and it took about 25min. he basically went over the company history and how they operate and told me i would get a call from another manager to set up a second interview with another store manager. i was called a day later by the second store manger and was sechduled for an interview two days later. At the second interview the manager acted like the company was picky and tried to intimidate me he didnt allow me to talk for the first 20min afterward he asked me questions about my resume and my previous mangement experience. once the interview was over he told me that in three days i would be told if i was hired or not and told me to go to a clinic the company had to take a drug test. Once i completed the drug test i was told i was hired and could start working once the reults of my test came in. This hiring process took a week and a half. However once i started i found out i am not assistant manager i am a sales manager. working there was like working with high school students i had employees trying to ask me out from not only my store but others stores and the manager wouldnt let anyone talk amung each other and he threaten you to finish your work by threatening your position.

Interview Questions

• You are only 20 years old what qualifications do you have to offer for the assistant manager position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, for a car position you start att 11.35/hr and in 120 days it becomes 12.00/hr and for assistant manager you start at 11.85/hr and in 120 days it becomes 12.50/hr.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Rent-A-Center (Baltimore, MD) in January 2012.

Interview

The interview process was talk with a recruiter on the phone, meet with a District Manager, do an observation day and then tell them you want the job. The interview was kind of a joke because you do not know what job you were hired for until the day you start. Also, make sure you realize that their training consists of absolutely nothing but working in the warehouse fixing furniture, cleaning the managers store and then going out by yourself to do customer warranty service calls. The first few days you will watch a few videos, but nothing really related to actually helping you do your job.

Interview Questions

• Do you really want to work here?   1 Answer
    • What is your past experience in retail and sales   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. They have a form. Even the manager doesnt know what your going to make. It was a joke.

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Rent-A-Center (Richmond, VA) in December 2011.

Interview

fairly easy. Manager worked with me previously for moving on to the next position. the manager was forthcoming and was very easy to talk to. the interviewing manager ensured that i was comfortable

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to match a customer with a unknown need. Have you ever had a time when you had to ignore a company policy?   1 Answer