Rent-A-Center

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Rent-A-Center.

Interview Details – Career Fair, not really asked anything. The company is in real need of employees.

Interview Question – Where are you working now....   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes....

Syracuse, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Rent-A-Center in June 2009.

Interview Details – I had a basic phone interview then a in store I met with DM talk about work history, I had to come back to shadow a work day then was offer job

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rent-A-Center in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online via indeed and was contacted by two recruiters within an hour of each other. The first set me up for an interview for an Assistant Manager, the second set me up for an interview as a Store Manager Trainee... both on the same day, at the same time, and in the same building.

I met with the District Manager after she, another District Manager, and a third party were 15 minutes late for the appointment, as they were all having lunch together. The very first thing I noticed when I walked in the store was that the associate working was very unkempt and ungroomed, his pants were not around his waste and his dress shirt was not tucked in. I found out during the interview that he was the Store Manager of that location.

I digress... the interview itself went well, and she was without a doubt the most pleasant person during this entire process. She seemed to like her job and the company, and apparently she liked me as well because she set me up for a second interview with a Store Manager at a different location.

During the second interview, I traveled to another store and met up with a gentleman who said he had been with the company for 13 years and explained his experiences. He asked more situational type questions and this interview lasted a bit longer. He must have also liked what I had to offer, because I was phoned for a third interview... this time at a store 30 minutes away.

I met with another District Manager for the third interview, who said he wouldn't shake my hand because he had a virus. My initial thought was, "Why would you be doing interviews and possibly passing a virus to potential candidates in the first place?" Anyway, he boasted that both people I interviewed with thought that I was a wonderful candidate, and after some basic discussion, he verbally offered the position at $39,000 to start. I felt that considering what the job was, this was a decent starting wage. I told him that would be fine to bring me aboard initially and he said that he would need to contact his boss to contact me, because that is much more than they normally pay the position. We then discussed if there were any stores closer to my house. He explained that the territory surrounding my place was controlled by the first DM that I met with and if I wanted he would contact her with what we talked about and she would fit me into one of her stores. He assured me that I would receive coorespondence that evening.

An entire week went by, and I didn't hear anything. I attempted to call that third store back and was given the runaround by the Store Manager. I called again the next day and the same Store Manager told me that he was told my information was given to the other District Manager and she would call me. Another week went by and nothing. I called the initial recruiter back and she assured me that DM1 was on vacation the previous week and would call me that evening. No call. I called the recruiter back again the next day and she would not return my voicemail.

Overall, this was one of the most disorganized and disfunctional experiences I have ever seen.

Interview Question – Does it bother you that our clientele are generally lower-class people?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lynwood, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Rent-A-Center in January 2012.

Interview Details – I walked in as a customer looking to buy a tv and was told by one of the employees they were hiring. i came back in dressed profesionaly and with my resume, the store manager looked over it and asked if i had time for a small interview i agreed and it took about 25min. he basically went over the company history and how they operate and told me i would get a call from another manager to set up a second interview with another store manager. i was called a day later by the second store manger and was sechduled for an interview two days later. At the second interview the manager acted like the company was picky and tried to intimidate me he didnt allow me to talk for the first 20min afterward he asked me questions about my resume and my previous mangement experience. once the interview was over he told me that in three days i would be told if i was hired or not and told me to go to a clinic the company had to take a drug test. Once i completed the drug test i was told i was hired and could start working once the reults of my test came in. This hiring process took a week and a half. However once i started i found out i am not assistant manager i am a sales manager. working there was like working with high school students i had employees trying to ask me out from not only my store but others stores and the manager wouldnt let anyone talk amung each other and he threaten you to finish your work by threatening your position.

Interview Question – You are only 20 years old what qualifications do you have to offer for the assistant manager position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, for a car position you start att 11.35/hr and in 120 days it becomes 12.00/hr and for assistant manager you start at 11.85/hr and in 120 days it becomes 12.50/hr.

Mesa, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Rent-A-Center in February 2012.

Interview Details – Apply online.
Initial interview is with store manager and district manger.
Bring a one page consolidated copy of your resume.
You do get a half day observation of the work day processes.

Interview Question – Will your attitude towards kindness for all of your customer base change?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – If you qualify you can go in as a credit or sales manager.

Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Rent-A-Center in June 2010.

Interview Details – face to face with a store manager, then face to face with another store manager, then finally face to face with district manager. drug test, then hired within 5 days

Interview Question – why rent a center?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – non negotiable pay

Baltimore, MD

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Rent-A-Center in January 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was talk with a recruiter on the phone, meet with a District Manager, do an observation day and then tell them you want the job. The interview was kind of a joke because you do not know what job you were hired for until the day you start. Also, make sure you realize that their training consists of absolutely nothing but working in the warehouse fixing furniture, cleaning the managers store and then going out by yourself to do customer warranty service calls. The first few days you will watch a few videos, but nothing really related to actually helping you do your job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They have a form. Even the manager doesnt know what your going to make. It was a joke.

Espanola, NM

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Rent-A-Center in July 2010.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter via email in which I applied online at rent-a-center and informed the recruiter that I had applied. They then contacted me and conducted a brief phone interview that consisted of some personality questions and asked if there would be any conflicts with schedules. I was contacted a few days later and scheduled for an in store interview. The interview was one on one with a manager from another store. He asked me about my background and if I was comfortable with making collections. I was then given a personality test and math/IQ test which I passed. I was told he would contact me the next day whether I was chosen or not. He didn't. Oh well, the job probably wasn't for me and I probably didn't receive an offer since I am not bilingual.

Interview Question – Do you feel comfortable going to be peoples homes for collections of payments?   View Answers (2)

Assistant Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Rent-A-Center.

Interview Details – Interviewed with the Sales Manager (who said nothing) and the District Manager (who conducted the interview)

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Rent-A-Center in January 2010.

Interview Details – This interview was a bait-and-switch. I applied for an Assistant Manager's position and was called for an interview only to be told that it wasn't a management position but a delivery job. The interview was around 10 minutes because the District Manager (who set up the interview) didn't even show up and I spoke to the Store Manager instead.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any questions that were pertinent to the position that I applied for.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I have many years of management experience this was just ridiculous. There are either some major communication issues or they are just not very ethical.

Worked for Rent-A-Center? Contribute to the Community!