Rent-A-Center

Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Account Representative Interview

Customer Account Representative
Belleville, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rent-A-Center in December 2009.

Interview Details – Before being hired, you are made to take a timed aptitude test consisting of general math and a series of job scenario type questions. If I remember correctly, I had to interview with a district manager before finally interviewing with the store manager at the store you were expected to work.

Interview Question – There were none.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation took place, there was a set pay that was more than minimum wage, but you were forced to work 48 and sometime more hours per week. After it was said and done, you make about 14.00 per hour.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Rent-A-Center in March 2012.

Interview Details – I had one interview with the store manager. It was a painless and quick process. He liked my work expierience stated on my application. He asked me a few sales questions, and "what would you do in this situation" type questions

Interview Question – Even though I was nervous for my interview and questions, all of my questions were very simple. I got lucky.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate the pay rate. I was happy with the base pay rate.

Sales Manager Interview

Sales Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Rent-A-Center.

Interview Details – One (desperate) phone interview and one 20 min face-to face interview/

Negotiation Details – Salary is non negotiable. However, it is an extremely easy job to get if you are approachable, charismatic and qualified.

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

Interviewed at Rent-A-Center

Interview Details – it is difficult and confusing

Interview Question – tell me about yourself   Answer Question

PM Interview

PM
Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Rent-A-Center.

Interview Details – Long (slow) hiring process. It took two months before first interview; then 350 questions personality test. Another three weeks before final decision is informed.

Interview Question – Current operation/process does not include project management. Many situation questions evolved around changing/adopting corporate culture.   Answer Question

Credit Manager Interview

Credit Manager
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Rent-A-Center in September 2011.

Interview Details – Promised not too late hours,,, typical hours would be till 8 pm the latest, based on my experience I was promised promotion witin 6 months and 50¢ raise every six months. I was asked about weknesses and strengths, I was also asked about being in certain situations, how do I handle an upset customer in the store or in the field also asked about being honest and cash handling.

Interview Question – How do I feel about working every Saturday?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No. No negotiating.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rent-A-Center in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online via indeed and was contacted by two recruiters within an hour of each other. The first set me up for an interview for an Assistant Manager, the second set me up for an interview as a Store Manager Trainee... both on the same day, at the same time, and in the same building.

I met with the District Manager after she, another District Manager, and a third party were 15 minutes late for the appointment, as they were all having lunch together. The very first thing I noticed when I walked in the store was that the associate working was very unkempt and ungroomed, his pants were not around his waste and his dress shirt was not tucked in. I found out during the interview that he was the Store Manager of that location.

I digress... the interview itself went well, and she was without a doubt the most pleasant person during this entire process. She seemed to like her job and the company, and apparently she liked me as well because she set me up for a second interview with a Store Manager at a different location.

During the second interview, I traveled to another store and met up with a gentleman who said he had been with the company for 13 years and explained his experiences. He asked more situational type questions and this interview lasted a bit longer. He must have also liked what I had to offer, because I was phoned for a third interview... this time at a store 30 minutes away.

I met with another District Manager for the third interview, who said he wouldn't shake my hand because he had a virus. My initial thought was, "Why would you be doing interviews and possibly passing a virus to potential candidates in the first place?" Anyway, he boasted that both people I interviewed with thought that I was a wonderful candidate, and after some basic discussion, he verbally offered the position at $39,000 to start. I felt that considering what the job was, this was a decent starting wage. I told him that would be fine to bring me aboard initially and he said that he would need to contact his boss to contact me, because that is much more than they normally pay the position. We then discussed if there were any stores closer to my house. He explained that the territory surrounding my place was controlled by the first DM that I met with and if I wanted he would contact her with what we talked about and she would fit me into one of her stores. He assured me that I would receive coorespondence that evening.

An entire week went by, and I didn't hear anything. I attempted to call that third store back and was given the runaround by the Store Manager. I called again the next day and the same Store Manager told me that he was told my information was given to the other District Manager and she would call me. Another week went by and nothing. I called the initial recruiter back and she assured me that DM1 was on vacation the previous week and would call me that evening. No call. I called the recruiter back again the next day and she would not return my voicemail.

Overall, this was one of the most disorganized and disfunctional experiences I have ever seen.

Interview Question – Does it bother you that our clientele are generally lower-class people?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Lynwood, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Rent-A-Center in January 2012.

Interview Details – I walked in as a customer looking to buy a tv and was told by one of the employees they were hiring. i came back in dressed profesionaly and with my resume, the store manager looked over it and asked if i had time for a small interview i agreed and it took about 25min. he basically went over the company history and how they operate and told me i would get a call from another manager to set up a second interview with another store manager. i was called a day later by the second store manger and was sechduled for an interview two days later. At the second interview the manager acted like the company was picky and tried to intimidate me he didnt allow me to talk for the first 20min afterward he asked me questions about my resume and my previous mangement experience. once the interview was over he told me that in three days i would be told if i was hired or not and told me to go to a clinic the company had to take a drug test. Once i completed the drug test i was told i was hired and could start working once the reults of my test came in. This hiring process took a week and a half. However once i started i found out i am not assistant manager i am a sales manager. working there was like working with high school students i had employees trying to ask me out from not only my store but others stores and the manager wouldnt let anyone talk amung each other and he threaten you to finish your work by threatening your position.

Interview Question – You are only 20 years old what qualifications do you have to offer for the assistant manager position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, for a car position you start att 11.35/hr and in 120 days it becomes 12.00/hr and for assistant manager you start at 11.85/hr and in 120 days it becomes 12.50/hr.

Very Difficult Interview

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager
South Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Rent-A-Center in September 2012.

Interview Details – I had a corporate job recruiter find me on carebuilder, This person was great. But when I went to the interview it was a joke!!! I was told that I would have to start at the bottom of the managers totem pole at $11.00 an hour. I Have 30 years of management experience and was insulted with the pay and the questions there district manager asked me. The merchandise they sell looks like you can buy it from Goodwill or Kmart very cheap stuff. They carter to the low income, most of your job would be trying to collect payments or recover the merchandise. RAC should save money by telling there customers to throw the merchandise in the dumpster if the can't make their payments! I wasted time and gas to go to this circus and talk to these CLOWNS! This was the first time I've been to a RAC. I guess they stay in business because what did Barnum say, ( There's a sucker born every minute!)

Interview Question – Would I work for less money?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Lynchburg, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Rent-A-Center in May 2012.

Interview Details – I got an interview within a week of filling out the application. The interview was all about bill collections.

Interview Question – Do you have experience in collections?   Answer Question