Residential Finance

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Loan Partner I Interview

Campbell, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Residential Finance in December 2012.

Interview Details – We were a new branch so there was no interview process

Senior Loan Officer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Residential Finance.

Interview Details – Had a recruiter contact me on linked in. Made it sound like everyone makes over $100k and the company is so much better than the others, etc, etc. This was over the phone.

Came into the office and met the recruiter then took the Wunderlich test.

Recruiter set up interview with one of the managers.

Manager seemed pretty cool, but he was wearing a weird short-sleeved button-down shirt with two pockets in the front and jeans, real professional.

Basically offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Question – They did not really ask me any surprising questions, just wanted to know about my work history and sales experience.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation since there is not salary. You make 100% commission, if you do not close enough loans to make commission they pay you the state mandated minimum wage and will probably fire you in a couple of months.

Senior Loan Officer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Residential Finance.

Interview Details – Horrendous! Everything was a lie! They tell you that you will make all this money and be successful and it's a huge exaggeration. I always expect people to stretch the truth in an interview but this was just unbelievable. They did give me a wonderlic test at the beginning but that was about it. The VP Mike Corrigan did a part of the interview and he seemed pretty skittish and unsure of how to even interview someone so maybe I should have used that as a sign of things to come.

Interview Question – Nothing was really unexpected during the process.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Residential Finance in April 2013.

Interview Details – I had a initial phone interview where they went over my experiences and skills. After a couple days they brought me in to interview with a manager and one of the senior loan officers. The questions were pretty standard interview questions most of them were about my past jobs and internships. Then I was called in for a job shadowing to see if the job was something I wanted to do.

Interview Question – If you ever experienced a problem how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Underwriter Interview

Columbus, OH

Interview Details – The interview process was very streamlined. I got a call from HR who completed some qualifying questions. They set up a face to face rather quickly and I was notified of their intent to hire within 72 hours of my interview. The day I started my desk was set up, my logins all worked and I was very impressed.

Negotiation Details – I was thrilled to get the offer and did not negotiate as I thought the base pay being offered was fair and in line with my experience.

Internship Interview

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Residential Finance in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by someone in HR after applying through their website. I was then asked to come in for a 1 on 1 interview with the person who would be my direct supervisor. Additionally, I was asked to fill out an online application. This was an easy process, however, they asked for my social security number three times. I personally would never send my social security number along with all of my personal information over the internet. Even though it was a required field, I got around it. When I went to the office for an interview, the receptionist greeted me and asked me who I was there to see. She let me know my interviewer would be here to get me in a few minutes. I waited for roughly 15 minutes until my interviewer finally came to get me. I received no apology for the interview starting late - they went right into asking questions. The majority of the interview was talked about how fun the job was and how there's so many males working in the office that make it the fun environment that it is. It seemed as though she was trying to sell me the job based on working around good looking people rather than getting a good experience. They talked very fast and didn't answer my questions the way I had hoped. Rather, they jumped around and essentially gave the same answer to ever question I asked.

Interview Question – There weren't necessarily difficult questions asked, however, the interviewer did use a lot of technical jargon that even they said they didn't understand/know until the company had paid for them to take a course. I have had experience in the finance/loan industry and I still didn't know what she was talking about. Why they thought I would know what it meant is beyond me.   Answer Question

Flag Interview

Residential Finance Director of Talent Acquisition responded to this review

Jan 28, 2013

We are sorry to hear about your experience interviewing with Residential Finance Corp (RFC). Please know that we take customer service seriously for anyone who interacts with RFC. We do apologize ... More

Senior Loan Officer
Columbus, OH

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Residential Finance in August 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process very smooth and inviting. More of a relaxed environment.

Interview Question – Hardest question was relating my current employment to the job applying and interviewing for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very simple

Receptionist Interview

Columbus, OH

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Residential Finance in December 2011.

Interview Details – I heard that a position was open and even though I was over qualified, I applied. Our interview was professional and to the point giving me an opportunity to explain that this was a company I was definitely interested in joining. I was hired as a temp., giving me the chance to show my work skills and ethics. Your interview for any job should be dress your best, showing that you have respect, and do your research, learn all that you can about the company you are applying for.

Interview Question – What do you know about our company and why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Being overqualified, the salary was lower than I hoped and parking downtown was an issue, I was able to negoiate suitable arrangements.

Customer Service Interview

Columbus, OH

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Residential Finance in February 2011.

Interview Details – It was for an internal position. I was approached after I voiced wanting to advance to senior management about the position within a week of my request. My interview was set up with the CMO and Senior VP of the corporation for a Friday. The night before I was prepped with the job description and talking points by a senior executive. The role was created around my skills and the needs of the company. The actual interview took about 3 hours and it was 3 business days before I got the formal offer but I cannot express my gratitude in the support, faith and career advancement opportunity I was given. This is an AMAZING company.

Interview Questions

• Will you be as passionate about this position as you are about your volunteer work?   View Answer
  • We know you are not from Ohio and no family here and that you long to go home. Can we trust you would stay in Ohio for the job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiating was tough. The individual in the role prior to me had a base salary that was half what I needed, I also added the option of a bonus. The reason is I knew I couldn't, nor could management, justify paying me 4 times what the person before was paid but I could bump the salary because my experience and knowledge can't be matched. The bonus allowed the justification to hit the bottom dollar I needed to make and I was clear from the start on what I needed to make. There is no sense wasting your times or the employers time if your needs cannot meet their budget.

Loan Processor Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Residential Finance in December 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process was easy unfortunately the interviewers were vague about the bonus package, stating that most of the processors made x amount of dollars. There was also no mention of how quickly they want to turn their loans coming from a different atmosphere I would have like to have known that they wanted turn times to be days maybe a week to get to closing. They also did not tell me how they micro managed the processors. And also that if you took a lunch or break you would feel guilty not to mention the dirty looks you would get from your manager. The stress level is through the roof! Which again was another thing they did to tell me. There is extreme hostility between the processors and the processor manager. Many late nights if you do not stay late you again are given the stink eye! They also would require you to come in almost every weekend it was not an option if you did not you could be fired. RFC will ask the employees to post on facebook what a great place it is to work if you do you get to wear jeans quite the insentive to lie! Luckily I was offered a much better job! I just wanted to make sure there is balance in the comments that are made about RFC. It is not as rosey as they make it out to be.

Interview Question – There were none.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really was none.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Residential Finance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Residential Finance interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Residential Finance employees and interview candidates.